EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

I just hit the Krein website today wondering, aaaand...books closed. Dude. Featherweight light saber. :thumbsup:

Hopefully the 2nd run will be adjusted so the detent isn’t so stiff. o_O

Ikuchi in reverse. I couldn’t open a 2nd Gen without defleshing my thumb. First Gen might be a little weak. I think that design may be one that looks cool but frustrates many. Pretty knife though. :thumbsup:

dItFNQd.jpg

My carry past few days, both never seem to get any pocket time anymore

Playing around with this minty old school. What a wicked blade and cool thumb stud lock mechanism 8FFA2A93-0F80-42D6-941C-BD0B81B8F6D5.jpeg

Here's my XM24 reground by Josh @razor-edge-knives . This one used to be a Spanto so there was no doubt quite the pile of S35VN particulate left when he was done taking this down to a 600 grit large radius hollow grind. I've often described that process as taking this blade from sharpened pry bar to light saber with one of Josh's scary sharp edge bevels as the coup-de-grace.

For measuring thickness behind the edge, I find the easiest method is to lock the caliper to a preset measurement and fit it to the edge, re-setting and re-locking until the jaws are an exact fit at the intersection of the primary and secondary grinds. My Shirogorov hedgehog tool has three gauges set at .3, .4, and .5 mm which give me good starting points for checking with the digital caliper. The .3 seemed good along the straight run of cutting edge while .4 seemed just about right from mid-belly forward. I set the caliper to each of those metrics and it was a good fit in both locations. Using the set button to convert mm to inches gave me the .012" you see in the pic.

xMS0rVp.jpg

As often happens, others' posts will lead me to a next day's carry, and this big boy makes for a good companion on Monster Monday. I've gone back to file photos here as lighting and the reflectivity of this beautiful blade require more patience than I'm feeling right now to get nice pics.

nLjI37z.jpg

K6dyMHP.jpg

Im diggin that XM24 brother and at .012 BTE its now a mean slicer no doubt! I have a gen 4 XM18 slicer im planning on sending over to REK sometime soon too thin out with a nice hollow grind as well. One of my favorite grinds! I think RHK have become my favorite folders.

New workweek, same Bulldog. :D

ZMksCri.jpg

how you liking that bulldog? Just picked up my first Emerson which is in route, a CQC7. Figured id try out the quintessential Emerson with the tanto and full chisel grind like yours to see what they are all about.

Last edited:
Kershaw model 1812 in Damascus, a friend from work gifted this to me as a retirement gift, we've known each other the better part of 38 years, nigh on to 39 come this August. So he surprised me by getting me this nice folder. I asked him to get a friend to laser etch it so I will remember it down the road. Unfortunately the person in our machine shop is not very good at proof reading before hitting the GO button and misspelled from as fron but that just reminds me of the place I'm glad to now call history ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

It was and is a nice gift and a very sharp folder too.
G2

how you liking that bulldog? Just picked up my first Emerson which is in route, a CQC7. Figured id try out the quintessential Emerson with the tanto and full chisel grind like yours to see what they are all about.

I'm surprised to find that I love it, because I was worried the handle would be too small for me. It's perfect, locks me right in, and makes this a wonderfully compact knife.

I also love my CQC-7 -- I think you're going to enjoy that one. :D:thumbsup: This is one of my favorite handles ever, so neutral and yet so comfortable. One of my favorite grinds, too.

CQPH04N.jpg

Back