EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

For when you’re going to the area of town where you occasionally find a turd in the elevator.

ce4pgGm.jpg

Personally I love the look of a worn dlc coated blade. Especially where the dlc is wearing away on the high points of the grind. To each their own.
I'm slowly coming around to share your view, Lapdog. I do appreciate that sort of edge-wear you describe and particularly like wear on backwashed-type blades and handles. I've been in sort of a use-it-or-lose-it mode lately with knives that I was reluctant to get scratched or worn--either sell it in pristine shape or stick it in pocket and get on with it.

I'm slowly coming around to share your view, Lapdog. I do appreciate that sort of edge-wear you describe and particularly like wear on backwashed-type blades and handles. I've been in sort of a use-it-or-lose-it mode lately with knives that I was reluctant to get scratched or worn--either sell it in pristine shape or stick it in pocket and get on with it.

I kind of like how it seems to highlight the grind lines in the blade.

It took me a while too but I’ve kind of been thinking, “who am I preserving these knives for that is going to enjoy them more than me?”

Now I also understand the idea of keeping rare or valuable knives in perfect condition sort of like owning a piece of art or history. That brings a different kind of joy. Some heavy custom knives with thick timascus bolsters and that type of stuff don’t really carry well anyway. But if it’s a knife that is atleast fairly common and is enjoyable to use I just use it.

Last edited:

My combo edge KSF exclusive Benchmade Stryker II is one of my favourite work knives; there's a lot to like about it, but in my experience using a well made and well designed knife brings about a certain type of appreciation that can't be garnered just from looking at it. So if you've made up your mind to use it, don't have any remorse over it! Just my $0.02.

Back