EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Carrying my Manly City and Boker Barlow for the week.

RmFWcbu.jpg

This S90v is super impressive so far. I'm not sure if it's the blade steel itself or the gring (.008 behind the edge) but it's pretty awesome.

I have come to really enjoy always having a carbon steel knife on me most days in traditional form or modern. I love the character it develops and while it is nice to not have to really worry about stainless knives sometimes you form more of a bond with something you actually have to care for.

Plus the patina is just mesmerizing
sukColq.jpg

Haha! Tired and hungry. :)

Wind picked up last night just before closing up shop, and the temp was dipping to -5°. Spent another 2 hrs just stirring around the coals to get them to burn down. Since the wind was getting pretty strong and blowing coals outta the pit, we opted to douse it before heading for shuteye.

Lots to think about when having brush fires...decisions to make...it all comes down to respecting the flame. It can be unpredictable.

We have another quarter acre of trees to fell, and then we will pull all the stumps and grade the land. This all done by muscle, sweat and blood. When it all comes together...and you sit back and enjoy the view, it is 100% worth it.

It’s a slow process, as we have been working on this property for 8 years now. It was a mess when we purchased.

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure if I’d be jealous if I were you...I’m beat today. Haha.
Thank you for sharing all of it and much respect for you and yours :)
I hope you both will enjoy all your hard to it’s fullest as I know you will.

Some of the area we have cleared recently. Took down a few trees in order to see this biggish guy. Through all that brush and bush, 80 yards away, is a beautiful body of water. The goal is to see that water from the window and deck, but have some nice beautiful trees dotting the open. It’s a work in progress because I love trees, and hate cutting them down. All the hardwood get cut for firewood. The pine trunks get cut to 8’ lengths and picked up by a guy for burning in his outdoor woodstove. Some of the other large pines go to my buddies sawmill, and others get used for posts and rustic outdoor structures.
View attachment 1553545 View attachment 1553546 View attachment 1553547

Making a switch on my train of thought. The Medford Gentleman Jack is a $400 glorified letter opener in my opinion. The backspring is very weak in the open position. Cutting cheese is a pain, because as you know, cheese is sticky. So when pulling the knife up and out of the cheese, it wants and does come “unlocked.” This is super annoying to me.
Medford needs to fix this issue. Hopefully I get lots of mail, so I can continue to use this alot. Hahaha!

The Arno Bernard Rinkhals slipjoint is a much nicer and solid modern slipjoint. Probably gonna switch back to that. It’s too bad, because the Gentleman Jack is such an attractive no fuss slipjoint.
Another great post ! Love the pictures !!
I know what you mean about weak back springs I don’t like them either. You should consider a Hinderer Slipee I love mine and it has a super strong lockup and believe it’s from the vintage series with Walnut covers. But yet isn’t difficult to open considering it opens and closes like a bear trap :D
It does come with a optional thumb disk that mounts in the groove on the blade but I prefer the looks and ease of just pinching it open.
Hep5n1N.jpg

Back