EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

More likely to use a little Leatherman or SAK today, but i do have this fixed on be . . . just because.

By Aussie maker John Foxwell 😃

UpVRpmV.jpg

I've been casting about lately, looking at/for various knives as I've been contemplating a new or new-to-me mid-tech acquisition. I've looked at a couple older Chebs, one of which may or may not still be available, a Biryukov or two, the occasional Shiro or Arius (both beyond what I feel like spending at this time), and have corresponded a little with Olamic about a possible custom build Wayfarer Classic. I've kinda felt like treating myself to something as I battle through all this knee replacement rehab, PT, doctors' visits, and medications.

I surprised myself a couple days back when I saw another Olamic on the Exchange--a model that I'd always considered to be outside my usual taste preferences--and was greatly attracted to its finish details and not at all put off by my previous reservations about its overall shape. It was also offered at an excellent price and I jumped on it. It should ship today after the long holiday weekend and I'm looking forward to receiving it by week's end and seeing if I like it as well in hand as I did on my screen. I did drag the seller's pics into my files before he deleted them and the anticipation has not waned since I've gazed at them several times a day since.

As I've been checking out Chuck_Nunface Chuck_Nunface 's recently posted pics of his handsome 247 lately and as I wait for my newest Olamic to arrive, I'll carry and post one of my current two on this Titanium Tuesday. I'm feeling a bit lazy and beleaguered by my medical and rehab routine today, so kindly forgive these older file pics of my Stealth-finished Wayfarer.

wn9osJp.jpg

922lxyo.jpg

4590VDF.jpg

I've been casting about lately, looking at/for various knives as I've been contemplating a new or new-to-me mid-tech acquisition. I've looked at a couple older Chebs, one of which may or may not still be available, a Biryukov or two, the occasional Shiro or Arius (both beyond what I feel like spending at this time), and have corresponded a little with Olamic about a possible custom build Wayfarer Classic. I've kinda felt like treating myself to something as I battle through all this knee replacement rehab, PT, doctors' visits, and medications.

I surprised myself a couple days back when I saw another Olamic on the Exchange--a model that I'd always considered to be outside my usual taste preferences--and was greatly attracted to its finish details and not at all put off by my previous reservations about its overall shape. It was also offered at an excellent price and I jumped on it. It should ship today after the long holiday weekend and I'm looking forward to receiving it by week's end and seeing if I like it as well in hand as I did on my screen. I did drag the seller's pics into my files before he deleted them and the anticipation has not waned since I've gazed at them several times a day since.

As I've been checking out Chuck_Nunface Chuck_Nunface 's recently posted pics of his handsome 247 lately and as I wait for my newest Olamic to arrive, I'll carry and post one of my current two on this Titanium Tuesday. I'm feeling a bit lazy and beleaguered by my medical and rehab routine today, so kindly forgive these older file pics of my Stealth-finished Wayfarer.

wn9osJp.jpg

922lxyo.jpg

4590VDF.jpg
I think you'll enjoy it. My thoughts are Olamic should be right up there in the conversation with what we call "the Best". They don't do all that well on the secondary. While many will pay a 10 - 20% reduction on a lightly used knife, with Olamic's endless customization most will just pay a few bucks more to get exactly what they want direct form the company. Just my opinion on the matter.

I think you'll enjoy it. My thoughts are Olamic should be right up there in the conversation with what we call "the Best". They don't do all that well on the secondary. While many will pay a 10 - 20% reduction on a lightly used knife, with Olamic's endless customization most will just pay a few bucks more to get exactly what they want direct form the company. Just my opinion on the matter.

I certainly don't have any reservations about Olamic quality, and am impressed with the great variety of design details and tweaks they offer as part-and-parcel of their production process. I like something a bit unusual but not too-too much bling. I wanted a Wayfarer 247 just like the one I have only with gold-anodized, polished holes to match the hardware, but found mine at a dealer at a reduced price plus a coupon and am very pleased with it as is. My Rainmaker came from another dealer at their regular price and has a somewhat unusual, though not unique, combination of design features.

This new one has a somewhat Persian vibe that's not quite up my alley, but a gorgeous blue/gray Kinetic finish with a row of seven bright silver polished holes, satin hardware and blade. I rather expect I'm gonna be quite pleased with it, too.

Edit: ...and yeah, right up there with "the Best" for sure.

Last edited:
Back