EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

693a280125cad44b4de98bf4bd6bb6d4.jpg

One of my longstanding repeat clients have an exterior door in the master bathroom of the addition I built over twenty years ago. It's a good door that needed considerable adjustment for draft-tightness. I tweaked the adjustable striker plates on both the door and the storm along with the bottom sweeps on both, and discovered that they'd never taken the factory sticky-back sill-protector off the adjustable threshold. A third of it had worn away and the rest took about a half-hour to carefully peel up and strip. That's why I always carry a beater knife at work.

oFayEnC.jpg

Later my wife and I trimmed the trunk and the bottom branches of the Christmas tree, put it in the stand and brought it in. It's a nice Frazier Fir from Maine and the fourth such we've had in as many years--the first two having come from NH via our neighboring town in VT and the last two bought here on the Cape.

bOfJMDJ.jpg

L2XcPU1.jpg

The limbing saw was bought up north and carries in the woods-work/hauling travel kit that lives in my truck and goes back and forth to VT with us. It's a handy little saw and an excellent cutter. Zoom in on the handle to see it's made of "Samurai Sword Steel" that's "Impulse Hardened". Is that a thing? :confused:

Today I'm over in the shop enjoying the last round of cleanup and organization. My wife wanted an 8" riser to put under the Christmas tree stand and I got way too involved making an octagonal top with a matching 7 1/4" bottom fascia. I wanted to see if I could join the 22.5 degree mitres using the Kreg jig and screws. It came out ok and I'll get a better result next time if I ever make those sort of joins again.

Had a great knife along with me while I basically farted around with my tools most of the afternoon in my ever-improving space.

lYQMiJO.jpg

LplGIML.jpg

One of my longstanding repeat clients have an exterior door in the master bathroom of the addition I built over twenty years ago. It's a good door that needed considerable adjustment for draft-tightness. I tweaked the adjustable striker plates on both the door and the storm along with the bottom sweeps on both, and discovered that they'd never taken the factory sticky-back sill-protector off the adjustable threshold. A third of it had worn away and the rest took about a half-hour to carefully peel up and strip. That's why I always carry a beater knife at work.

oFayEnC.jpg

Later my wife and I trimmed the trunk and the bottom branches of the Christmas tree, put it in the stand and brought it in. It's a nice Frazier Fir from Maine and the fourth such we've had in as many years--the first two having come from NH via our neighboring town in VT and the last two bought here on the Cape.

bOfJMDJ.jpg

L2XcPU1.jpg

The limbing saw was bought up north and carries in the woods-work/hauling travel kit that lives in my truck and goes back and forth to VT with us. It's a handy little saw and an excellent cutter. Zoom in on the handle to see it's made of "Samurai Sword Steel" that's "Impulse Hardened". Is that a thing? :confused:

Wow a samurai sword steel saw!

Tamahagane saw? Must have been a fortune!

Back