EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

The one on the left today.
The one on the right tonight.

fdc949f297084b76346df8a4ee77e105.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrying a Kershaw Starkey Ridge XXL (1416) today, which was made in Oregon sometime in the early 90's.

It's not obvious from the pics but this is a BIG knife; about the same size as the Spyderco G10 Military that I was carrying yesterday. It has a 3.875" ATS-34 blade (which was Kershaw's steel of choice at the time) and a 5" G10 scaled handle. The regular size Starkey Ridge (1410 Ti/1415 G10) only has a 3" blade and 4" handle. The knife fills up my pocket and feels larger in there than the Military but I really like the pointy hollow ground blade w/its curved belly which seems more like a cross between a clip and drop point than distinctly one or the other. A very useful blade shape for stabbing and slicing things.

This is one of 5 Kershaws of this type and vintage that I own, which also includes a pair of 1415 G10 Starkey Ridge variants (plain & combo bladed) and a pair of 1420 titanium scaled Talons, which is made w/a reverse blade (plain and combo bladed) more commonly found on karambits. I have been collecting a variety other vintage Kerhaws made during the same time period and these are some of the most interesting/desirable among them.

pal73lPl.jpg

5kprSeHl.jpg

In order to provide gauge of the size of the Starkey Ridge XXL, I thought it would be helpful to post a photo of the knife in direct comparison w/other larger well known folders.

From top to bottom (w/exact blade length in parentheses):

1) Spyderco K2 (4.54")
2) ZT 0452CF (4.10")
3) Starkey Ridge XXL (3.875")
4) Spyderco Military (4")
5) Spyderco Police (4.125")

6erVhP3l.jpg

Last edited:
Back