Edge Pro Matrix resin bond diamond stones

I use a Nagura to clean / condition mine regularly between sharpening sessions and it works very well.
Are there different sorts or grits of the Nagura stones, i have seen one for sale on a website for about $12, it is a yellow color, but i have never used them before, does this sound like a good deal.:thumbsup:

Diemaker,

What lapping regimen would you recommend if I have access to both loose grit & a nanohone nl8? Maybe just use the nanohone when your Diamond Matrix stones obviously need lapping, and loose grit in between visual evidence of a stone not being flat?

What is your personal opinion of nanohone nl8?

Thanks,

Brian W.

Are there different sorts or grits of the Nagura stones, i have seen one for sale on a website for about $12, it is a yellow color, but i have never used them before, does this sound like a good deal.:thumbsup:
What you're referring to is probably the King Japanese Nagura. It's listed as 8000 grit, but that's irrelevant and doesn't really matter too much when used for cleaning & conditioning. The King Nagura will work perfectly fine for cleaning & conditioning and they are normally only about 10 bucks. Works just as well on Venev stones too.

nanohone nl8
While Nanohone say that you can dress resin bond diamond stones on their button plate I wouldn't. The diamonds in the stones will grind flats on the diamonds in the dressing stone, greatly reducing its cutting action. I have yet to find a way of dressing the Matrix stones that is even close to working as well as loose abrasive on a flat plate, it is dirt cheap and only takes seconds to do.

While Nagura stones do work to clean resin bond diamond stones I still haven't figured out whether they refresh them or not, but I am sure that the coarser the Nagura stone the better it will work. The idea is they release grit quickly and the loose abrasives are what do the cleaning.

While Nanohone say that you can dress resin bond diamond stones on their button plate I wouldn't. The diamonds in the stones will grind flats on the diamonds in the dressing stone, greatly reducing its cutting action. I have yet to find a way of dressing the Matrix stones that is even close to working as well as loose abrasive on a flat plate, it is dirt cheap and only takes seconds to do.

While Nagura stones do work to clean resin bond diamond stones I still haven't figured out whether they refresh them or not, but I am sure that the coarser the Nagura stone the better it will work. The idea is they release grit quickly and the loose abrasives are what do the cleaning.
So, loose grit is the best way, bar none.

Thanks,

Brian W.

87863877-F0CD-4ACE-B82D-10AEF49319D9.jpeg
I got one of the 2”x6” 20 micron stones from Gritomatic.
This really is an awesome stone.

So far I have only sharpened K390 and REX 45 and it really took steel off these blades effortlessly.
It is is a little strange to be using only edge trailing strokes but the results are well worth it.

Once I dig it out I really want to see how my Manix2 in Maxamet feels on the stone and how quickly it will cut.
If anyone is on the fence about these I say give them a try.

The base of aluminum is very well done and the divots on the ends work well with the regular stone holders.

I received notice from Edge Pro Inc.: "Moving forward we will be discontinuing our 650, 1100 and 2300 grits, and replacing them with the following NEW grits: 450, 950, 1700"

D Diemaker what are the particle sizes of these new grades?

40, 20, and 10 microns respectively. The grit progression is now 160, 80, 40, 20, 10, and 5 microns or as marked on the stones themselves 80, 250, 450, 950, 1700, and 4000. It's not a big change but worthwhile going forward.

60 grit SiC or 240 grit AlOx to dress the new 450 stone?

Edit: the answer from Diemaker's web site is the 60 AlOx or fresh 240 AlOx.

Last edited:
Back