Emerson CQC 7

Two things have kept me from owning a CQC-7 (I would want the shorter blade in an auto; the Super blade would be fine in a manual):

1.) Pro-tech doesn't make a "V" model CQC-7 or a Super CQC-7 automatic.

2.) Emerson doesn't make a Super CQC-7 "V"

I just can't seem to do it on a regular 7. I want the longer blade but in V-grind.

Carried a Benchmade CQC7 for about three years in the Army. Was later given an Emerson CQC7B I never carried. I gave that knife away last weekend. One problem with these knives is that after use they just don't wear well. They just look beat. Some knives wear well and develop character. Others don't. The CQC7 doesn't.

The Benchmade after only three years of carry and hard use.

Emerson%2520CQ7.jpg

The worst production knife of any value I ever purchased was a CQC-7B. The lockup was objectionable early, with a tendency to close as easily as a SAK if you pushed on the blade spine when it was "locked". As a bonus, all Emerson knives also include terrible fit and finish and high prices when you consider the materials used.

Recently I looked at three CQC-7V knives at a major dealer, and they all had the same characteristic "looks like it was assembled in the dark by the developmentally disabled" level of fit and finish, but more disturbing is that all three brand new knives had wildly different lockup--one was ultra-early, one was so late it was almost to the far side, and the middle one? It was sticky.

Get one and you will then know if an Emerson knife is for you.
I am a big fan of the Emerson folder concept and own three folders.
rolf

What steel does Emerson use on there CQC 7B 2011?

I've been looking and can't find that info anywhere.

Cheers,
Stone Fingers

Emerson uses 154CM in all their knives, and has for a while now. There were some early runs in ATS-34, Titanium and others, but the standard across the board is 154CM

Purchased mine from Extreme Addiction, cost me $120+, absolutely love it, I think it's a fair price for what you get. I'm a huge tanto fan, I use this particular Emerson along with a CS Voyager and few more pointy CRKTs all the time, I cut primarily boxes and plastic ties, some wood, never food.
I found tantos to be great utility blades, with that said, I agree that the chisel grind will lead sideways, but from tactical standpoint, this complicates tremendously the wound in slash, and they are great stabbers, even the short blade, so this-one is a potent model.
Boxy handle never bothered me, especially if you are wearing gloves, it stays solid in your hand, the grip is outstanding.
For me, the wave is the fastest and most suitable for deployment of the blade system, no wrist flipping, no excessive movements of the opening arm/hand, positive feedback for the lock, very quick repositioning of the hand for good grip.
My knife was banged a lot, probably already few thousands openings, did not see any problems with the lockup, very solid. The only noticeable thing is a slight "stickiness" when you unlock the blade, I can live with it, I don't care how I'll close the blade, usually one have enough time for this if we're talking about SD.
Did not noticed any loosening of the pivot screw so far, no side or any other play of the blade, but I didn't really put any hard pressure sideways, except cutting some fairly soft wood in door frames and so on...
Very happy with the steel, this particular-one holds the edge just fine, sharpens nicely, blade comes back to life fairly easy and quick, I agree - the knife came stupidly sharp from the factory.
I went online to register it and receive outstanding CS from Emerson's people I communicated with trough the web-site, very happy with them.
Yes, they are some negative opinions about Emersons in general, I could be just lucky with my knife, but I like it a lot and will buy again when come across another model that I like.
I think you (OP ) should buy one, try it and if you don't like it, you'll easily find someone here who will pay money for it...

An old picture when it was almost new:

esrn.jpg

Nothing cuts as tanto's secondary point, and yes, I'm holding it slightly sideways, I'm used to it, doesn't bother me, besides, I don't really need absolutely straight line when I cut boxes... :D

tymx.jpg

I remember when I used to like tantos then eventually realized there are much better options out there for utility/combat purposes. I have seen the cqc7 many times and it just had no appeal over vs a nice big Commander. I'll admit, the cqc7 grows on you over time and you just can't help but admire its aesthetics. I do believe ill be buying one these in the near future as an edc self defense blade.

Last edited:
Carried a Benchmade CQC7 for about three years in the Army. Was later given an Emerson CQC7B I never carried. I gave that knife away last weekend. One problem with these knives is that after use they just don't wear well. They just look beat. Some knives wear well and develop character. Others don't. The CQC7 doesn't.

The Benchmade after only three years of carry and hard use.

Emerson%2520CQ7.jpg

You may not see it, but your cqc7 has character. That "beat" look you describe in my opinion is more like a battle worn appearance. Like 'its used and abused and it aint afraid to get dirty' look .. If it bothers you that much though just buy some Flitz or Mothers mag and polish it until you're satisfied.

I remember when I used to like tantos then eventually realized there are much better options out there for utility/combat purposes. I have seen the cqc7 many times and it just had no appeal over vs a nice big Commander. I'll admit, the cqc7 grows on you over time and you just can't help but admire its aesthetics. I do believe ill be buying one these in the near future as an edc self defense blade.
Super roadhouse would be better IMO.

Today I find that Spyderco is twice the knife for half the price. Look at the Para2, you won't be disappointed.

Para2 is a wonderful knife, I have 2 ;). Theres just something alluring about the cqc7 I can't describe. Plus a solid, well known, combat proven blade for edc with the pocket deployment wave. :D Call me a mall ninja if you want, at least i'll have confidence in the knife if SHTF!

Emerson's are over priced. I never said it was a bad knife in any way, just that there are other options for less money. One day i hope someone can explainmh Emerson's cost so much. When I buy a zt I understand the $200. Emerson's are not finished well, blade grinds are not costly, blade material is not pricey. I can keep going. I'm not paying to make someone else rich.

Emerson's are over priced. I never said it was a bad knife in any way, just that there are other options for less money. One day i hope someone can explainmh Emerson's cost so much. When I buy a zt I understand the $200. Emerson's are not finished well, blade grinds are not costly, blade material is not pricey. I can keep going. I'm not paying to make someone else rich.

Well, price is pretty relative to be honest. I see pricey springfield armory 1911's with terrible fit and finish yet people still buy them.. not that it is okay. On the other hand, people are paying $3000+ for custom knives. Do the materials justify the cost? of course not. It just depends on what an individual is willing to pay and if the said product gives that person a sense of confidence.

I totally get your points though. Which is why I prefer to hand select my Emerson's before I buy. Some are definitely questionable, but ya can't beat the warranty! ;)

You could always call the company and ask to speak with the man himself.

Today I find that Spyderco is twice the knife for half the price. Look at the Para2, you won't be disappointed.

a para 2 is a fantastic knife, Personally it's small for me but that's just my opinion and everyone has a different EDC use for their knife. That being I'd say that the advantage of the CQC-7 is that if you had to over use your knife and abuse it I think It would take it better than a para 2. Specifically any kind of prying or digging the para 2's tip looks like it would snap. I don't think It's a fair comparison to say that the para 2 is twice the knife. Different designs for different uses.

It's preference, I think some people here though don't understand that. People knock a chisel grind (I even used to) but it's not laziness or any other excuse some may make. It's just a style same as how some like a tanto blade and others like bowie or recurve. Personally I used to think chisel ground blades were the stupidest thing I'd seen but now I own 4-5 and it's almost all I carry. I own 3 chisel ground emerson's one of which is a Super 7 and by far the Super 7 is my favorite emerson knife I own. They are a great knife with great ergo's and great designs. They do receive criticism for fit and finish but I've seen issues with ZT, Benchmade and various other companies. ALL knife companies will have a few knives that end up not perfect and at that point it's more about customer service and warranty than anything and Emerson has an outstanding reputation for that.

I carry one daily. I bought I used from the exchange and have been pretty much exclusively using emersons since my first one. I've built a fire with my horseman, and my cqc-7 is pretty much my go to edc knife. Yes, it can cut cardboard and even perform slicing duty at work(I'm a cook at a local restaurant).
Every knife company has its flaws, so decide for yourself if you want one. I love the ergos on emersons.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441932411.120807.jpg

Back