End of the line...The Traveling Delica Volume #4 ... Is home!

I do handyman work so my daily activity varies pretty wildly. Today I did some work installing a chlorinating system for a swimming pool. Lots of hoses and zip ties were cut. Sharp edge and thin blade stock made really short work of these fairly thick hoses. Maybe not as easy cutting zipties as a pair of snips, but it was far more satisfying with the Delica :)
IMG_20230726_082243012.jpg

It was a trichlor chlorinating system, inevitably chemical wound up on the knife. I rinsed the blade off pretty quickly when finished, but it began to patina/corrode far quicker than knives I've used in similar environments (sorry everyone I made it ugly...)
IMG_20230726_130359259_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230726_130416383.jpg

I used it for other mundane tasks, nothing worth taking a picture of. Tomorrow may be some electrical and plumbing. I'll update with photos.

I am loving it....
Keep using it....

Patina is a beautiful thing when it happens in the course of using it!
I did read more about K390, its far different than s30v in regards to their stainless (or lack thereof) qualities. Maybe by the end of this someone more skilled than me can give it a new finish, I usually just rub things down with a scour pad (I'll refrain from subjecting K to such abuse)

I rinsed the blade off pretty quickly when finished, but it began to patina/corrode far quicker than knives I've used in similar environments (sorry everyone I made it ugly...)
When cutting the strawberries I swear I could see a patina starting to form right before my eyes before I hurried and rinsed it, that's why it's clean in the pic haha. It did patina a slight amount, but afterwards when keeping it oiled with a coat of mineral oil it strangely made it harder to tell the patina was there. I'm glad I hosted K though because she saved me from purchasing a K390 Police 4 which I had my eye on, because I've decided my ocd just can't let me live with patina I gotta have a shiny blade! K helped me appreciate my VG10 Police 4 more, the P4 as well as the Delica are such great designs!

Forgot to take pictures yesterday except this one, stripped some wires which was pretty easy, cut tape and opened boxes, and K helped me get this vault lid open just enough to get it with my fingers (it wasn't very much lateral force but I was careful)

IMG_20230727_085324099_HDR.jpg

Took today off work, needed some extra me time. Have a level 2 sectional USPSA match coming up in about 2 weeks, trying to get some extra practice time before then. Brought K along for the ride. Deep pocket clip keeps it from falling out of my pocket while running around.

IMG_20230728_084618111_HDR.jpg

Cut the D zone off a couple of IPSC targets to reduce size, obviously K rips through cardboard. Had way too many staples in my target stands, used K to pull a few out. Chipped the edge a little, realized that was stupid and switched to the leatherman.

IMG_20230728_083756459.jpg

Wrapped the day up messing around with my PCC. K didn't help with this but I missed a status update yesterday so uploading extra pictures.

IMG_20230728_083907610.jpg
IMG_20230728_084500298_HDR.jpg

Won't be taking K out of the house again today, all in all a good day.

IMG_20230728_093415150.jpg

So I did end up finding a delica for sale for a great price, so I bought one. But its in VG10. I think this expirement with K has made me realize how important corrosion resistance is for me. I haven't pushed K to the limit, but K390 seems like a fine steel. If this price was right I wouldn't mind owning a knife in K390, but I'd keep it far away from corrosive/oxidizing chemicals

So I did end up finding a delica for sale for a great price, so I bought one. But its in VG10. I think this expirement with K has made me realize how important corrosion resistance is for me. I haven't pushed K to the limit, but K390 seems like a fine steel. If this price was right I wouldn't mind owning a knife in K390, but I'd keep it far away from corrosive/oxidizing chemicals

VG10 would be interesting to see how well it holds up against the chemicals you use.
Possible LC200N might be a better choice. I'm sure there is good info out there if it would.

K is on the way to the next host.
Hopefully K will get better treatment from
the Government this time.
USPS in my neck of the woods is pretty good, but once it makes it out of Oregon all bets are off

This is a fun project and I enjoyed being part of it. My initial plans were ambitious and wanted to take it for more of a spin than I did, but I'm a bum so it is what it is.

My used delica arrived today as soon as K departed. This knife I got is really messed up, I have no idea what the previous owner did to it, it looks like I owned it for a year. Anyway it'll be a fun fixer upper.

I have the Delica in hand today! I'll start carrying and using it tomorrow...

I'll be carrying it along with my trusty SIG. BESS test when received was 295. A quick trip to the paper wheels and a strop got it to 160 quickly!20230809_152759.jpg20230809_152933.jpg20230809_153534.jpg

Last edited:
Back