Endura / Delica - update - need input

Do a little something about the delicate tip. Work from thicker steel stock, or change the grind to put more beef near the tip.

Are the updated Enduras and Delicas likely to be released in 05? After all these comments what is Spyderco looking at for improvements or changes?

I think Sal was waiting until they are 100% on the changes to keep one up on the people who plan on making cheapo POS knockoffs...

I'd like to hear about what is in the works though! :D

I would like a slightly beefier tip as well, with a bit more belly. As for clip, I have an old delica with the moulded in clip, never managed to break it and like the slight extra bulk it gives to the handle. This might sound retograde but a reversible moulded clip for those who like the bigger grip, since it would be on the outside of belt or pocket wouldn't compromise thinness very much. Might be a production pain in butt though.

I am now and have always been a firm believer that the Delica is the finest bang for the buck knife ever.... and I mean ever, produced. I happen to have an affection for the old aus-8 plastic clip version...Sal do the world a favor and make one good run with plastic clip {raise the cut a little so it rides lower in the pocket}, and use vg10 or aus10 on a 50/50 platform.
I will buy 10.
Bill

Get the Delica blade back down under 3". Three inches is the legal length in many areas. Due to the variations in methods of measuring blades, give us one that is under 3" without question.

Allow clip change for right or left handed carry.

Thanks for asking.

Ark/Axis lock please ;) and just out of curiosity..

Will you ever put wire cutters on the Spyderwrench?

I wanted also to thank you for taking the time to ask.

I'm thrilled for your success.

You're welcome Barrabas, I do get good input from this group. Regarding the Axis,arc locks, Benchmade never offered the lock to us. I guess we could "loophole" it, but I would prefer not to unless forced.

The lock-back is quite well known, we're good at making them. They are not so easily "inertia" opened as the Axis/arc for a mainstream product.

The plastic clip just plain didn't work well enough. We changed the mold 6 times in an effort to find the right combination, but still had problems. A plastic coated metal clip is best, but we haven't found a really good way to do that yet.

The blades on all Delica's will in the future be just under 3".

The tips are beefier.

They will be ambi.

sal

Sal Glesser said:
A plastic coated metal clip is best, but we haven't found a really good way to do that yet.

Ever thought about that liquid rubber-like stuff that sticks to tools you dip in it? Sorry, I don't know what it's called.
I think it would be worth a try, although the clip will be pretty sticky, thus making the knife harder to draw.

Sal Glesser said:
The plastic clip just plain didn't work well enough. We changed the mold 6 times in an effort to find the right combination, but still had problems. A plastic coated metal clip is best, but we haven't found a really good way to do that yet.

The blades on all Delica's will in the future be just under 3".

The tips are beefier.

They will be ambi.

sal
Cool - Everything I asked for.

I used heat shrink tubing from RadioShack to cover the metal clip on my Bladeforums Native. It worked well. You may be able to come up with a variation of that technique. If you put some notches in the clip it would not come off.

All of the dip, stretch & wrap plastics didn't hold up well enough. I'd like to inject plastic over the steel clip. Early attempts were too thick.

Wire clips are proving to be very promising.

sal

no finger choil!!!
just start blade grind right at the handle, not like in current endura 1cm forward

No finger choil planned. We may make an "afi" version at a later date, with a choil.

The "general market" at this time does not prefer the finger choil. The Endura and Delica are "general market" models.

We will not take away the "kick" as we believe it is a safety issue with those that like to close their lock-backs with one hand using the "drop the blade method". We made the Centofante 3 with no kick as Frank Centofante preferred it that way.

sal

How about a HD Endura? One with a thicker handle. I think one reason the Buck 110 still sells well to the masses after 40 years is that many people link heavy and thick with quility and strength. Americans like cars with more cylinders then we need,stereos that reproduce sounds out of the range we can hear.

Supersize IT !

I know many knife guys like light and thin and realize that the Endura is strong,but I wonder about joe sixpack who walks in a store looking to replace his old worn out lockback,if he feels the same way?

Sal Glesser said:
The "general market" at this time does not prefer the finger choil. The Endura and Delica are "general market" models.

sal
Really ?? I'm surprised :confused:

Hi Lone Hunter. Our philosophy has always been "no more than necessary, no les than perfect". We wouldn't want to make the knife any heavier or bulkier than it needed to be.

If we were to build a "folding prybar", we wouldn't use the Endura pattern. We would create a new shape that was designed to do the job of HD prying.

Hey Yog, you are so far removed from the "general market", you couldn't see it with binocs. ;)

Actually, we learned that with the Caly jr. Apparently finger choils are still a relatively little known "feature", when looks through general knife showcases. Most knife users do not want to "get so close to the edge".

sal

I just bought a Manix and I am in love with it. The Manix is like a "Super-Calypso." I will own at least one more. As far as I am concerned, the Manix has the features that I suggested earlier in this post.

Did Eric have a role in designing the Manix? I thought I noticed the same symbol as on the Dodo.

I would like to see a variation in the handle color. I think Sal has said these don't sell well in general, but I would buy a delica/endura in five different colors given a chance. I like the VG-10 steel of recent models.

I would like to see the Endura increased in size proportinally until the blade length reached 4.5-5 inches and the Spyderhole increased to 14mm. I would also like the blade width increased to 4mm and the Boye dent to be gone. Blade steel wouldn't really matter that much to me but I would like it to be a flat ground one. The last think that I would like to be done is some tighter fitting screws for the pocket clip (or maybe 4 screws instead of 3). I keep catching mine on things and it moves out of place and when I try to put the clip on it doesn't line up right .... theres actually of few centi-meters that it can move to the left and right. Maybe mine just got warped or something. :confused:

Shoot, I was just going to suggest adding a finger choil like on the Calypso Jr... Seriously, my finger ends up on the kick most of the time.

Anyway, keep the grind and the VG-10, maybe have limited runs on colored versions (anodized aluminum handles, perhaps?) and I'll be pretty happy. :)

Back