Endura / Delica - update - need input

Ok in my opinion the PERFECT knife would be a Delica with flat ground VG-10 blade, G-10 handles with liner on one side, lockback, like the old police model, and a black tip-up clip that allows deep pocket carry. Optional but not absolutely necessary, a wave type opening device, I don't care for "assisted openers." I know this one is a long shot but maybe as a low volume limited edition run, I know I would buy quite a few of these even if they were in the
$150-175 range.

Also, I know this is off topic but who else beside me would like to see the older style, flat-ground, G10 Police make a comback?

Cobra hood thingie? I kind of seem to not be able to use the hole efficiently and am more used to a thumbstud. I really don't know I have only handled a Delica once. Two days ago. :D

I would really like to see some colors. Almost every knife I have has black handles. When I look at my collection (very small), all I see is black, steel, black, black, black, black, blue Dodo! OMG BLUE! Ya, that's one reason why I got it. :rolleyes:

How about different finishes?

Maybe instead of that volcano/waffley grip to the FRN, how about some Spydie bugs? I've never seen an engine turned (jeweled) blade on a production, before. If that won't cost too, much, that maybe a welcomed change. Filework effect on the spine?

Every thing I listed will probably drive up the cost. A lot. Oh, well just throwing things out.

Please leave the hole alone and stick to the current handle shape/design a lot of us have gotten really used to them and like them. I wouldn't mind to see the SS version with optional G10 grips for the handles however.

I really like the blade grind, hole size, geometry, and even the clip.

I did notice on my delica (> 10 yrs old), that the blade pivot is a little loose now. How about an adjustable torx blade pivot that can be tightened as needed?

Mike

I've seen many mentions of different color FRN handles, I think that would be awesome, I'd especially like to see yellow with a black clip. However, I would only use red for the drone/trainer versions to aviod confusion.

How about an untra limited run delica with carbon fiber or micarta handles with the ball-bearing lock ;)

a full flat grind, and a torx adjustable pivot. Like the different color idea also. Do much more than that and you're just making another Military or Paramilitary for all practical purposes.

Re: the SS models, are those made with VG-10 yet? if not then why not? (I imagine there's a reason) also could you anodize the SS models without driving the cost up too much? That would be way cool....a red or blue anodized endura with a full flat grind....

Can't wait to see what happens.

The only thing I don't like on my Delica is the handle. Higher quality Zytel or maybe G10 (without liners or nested) would be great. The Backlock is not my favorite lock, but it's the best lock for a low-cost knife I guess. Oh, and Torx for the pivot is a must, I hate it to hammer on the pivot-pin when the blades are getting wobbly.

For me, the Delica is a inexpensive, slim, lightweight, reliable knife with incredible cutting-capabilities. It should stay this way, imo.

Sal,

1. Deep carry wire pocket clip. (These days the more discreet the better.)
2. Flat ground blade.
3. Grip pattern like the Native(?) spiderweb.
4. Keep the same handle material.
5. With the recent (when exactly I don't know) changes to the Michigan
knife laws I hope the blade length on the Delica won't be increased.
We're now limited to 3 inches.

~Jeff

Hey here's a thought, model the new Delica after the UK Penknife, but make it a lockback with a Boye dent:) like the look of a low carry wire clip :)

There was talk from Sal a while back about possibly making a locking version of the UK Penknife. I have not heard much about it recently though.

Slvgx said:
There was talk from Sal a while back about possibly making a locking version of the UK Penknife. I have not heard much about it recently though.

I sure hope they make it I'd like to have one in both locking and unlocking versions.

Looks like a pretty old thread got revived. =)

I guess this is just thinking out loud over an improved clip.

Some like it discreet: Wire, black, lower/deeper carry
Some like it visible: Silver clip, with Spyderbug
Some like options: Tip up/down choice
Some really dislike the wire.

Everyone wants a more durable (deformation around the FRN after time causes it to rotate out of position) and secure clip.

Would it be unwise to try have it all? :yawn:

I'm thinking of clip mount that is a combination of the Calypso Jr & Meerkat, one that accepts both a clip and a deep carry wire option. Done on both ends for a tip up/down option. I'm just wondering how to fit a lanyard hole...

Me? I'd like a deep carry black clip. :D I'm just imagining a clip that 'wraps around'. Not sure how well that might work though...

considering the DELICA and ENDURA

-main design: keep it as it is, because it is CLASSICAL SPYDERCO!

-more handle color possibilities (black, yellow, military green, desert, marine blue,etc..)

-fully ambidextrous clips on both models, even by ss handles
-maybe full flat ground grind, as military..

-maybe some PERFORMANCE limited EDITION of both: CPMS30V+titanium handle

I M P O R T A N T:
START USING VG10 STEEL ON ss HANDLE Enduras+Delicas
(AUS6 is OK, but needs often to be resharpened, very often..Low HRc!)

do not use expensive materials, keep the middle line (VG10 and so on) = DONT INCREASE THE CONSUMER PRICE !!! (consider the non american countries, where spydies are your MSRP price + 30% extra!!

START DEVELOPING also NEW DESIGNS, even in the tactical line, but middle/low price level (not as ATR or Keatings Chinook - price in Europe = cca 300USD!!!), even when after 9/11 are smaller fighters in..

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A lot of people have commented on this topic. Now, I'd like to put my 2 cents in. The Delica and Endura are most likely the first knifes of spyderco that longtime fans have bought. I remember someone giving my father an endura in the late eighties, and it saved his life. I have carried spyderco knives aboard every boat I've worked on, and thankfully, I've never needed to use one to save MY life, but its nice to know that its there.

The Endura is THE trademark knife of spyderco, and I see a lot of people wanting its aesthetics changed. Spyderco's "designed in the dark" philosopy seems to have worked thus far, never having been concerned about looks, rather functionality.

A broken tip on a knife that you work with is no big deal, really. Just take a file to it and sharpen it again. I know that the knives I've carried to work look uglier when they're retired, than when they start, and this only gives them character.

last summer '04, my girlfriend began to work on a charter/party deep sea fishing boat, and I knew right away, that the delica my brother bought in '95, and both he and I have carried at one time or another, was the right knife to send with her on the boat. it is the frn handle/clip, fully serrated delica, with a chipped tip, blunted serrations, and a razor sharp edge (thanks sharpmaker).

Sal, and spyderco guys, leave the delica and the endura be. Tweak them up perhaps, but don't drastically change them. then they wouldn't be delicas or enduras. Spyderco has a VAST array of different designs, but these two have been around for a while, tried and true.

again, my 2 cents

Peter

Ditto what Pete1977 said. I like the idea of other color options, excluding red (trainer only).

Mr. Glesser, whatever you do, please keep the ambidextrous aspect. I own several Delicas and Enduras, and the lefty-friendly feature is one of many reasons.

And the lanyard hole--that means a lot to me, especially on the little Delica. I keep a pigtail on mine so I can find it on my belt quickly.

Whatever you decide, I am sure I will more or less like it. So keep up the good work.

Many good suggestions have already been made but I must say that I have to put a vote in for the relative PRICE FACTOR.

Keep it in the same price range as the current offerrings.

It may sure not seem like it to most here in these forums but MSRP is a deciding factor for the vast majority of users who will never visit a place like BladeForums.

I would like to see the new Delica design being based on the UK penknife. To this knife brings the best points of the Delicat en the Calypso together in one knife. One of the best medium/small design I have seen and handled. Needs a lock though ;).

JD

I'm not sure it really needs changing. Look what happened to Coca-Cola, some things are better left as they are. It not like its the only model you make. Put the money spent on a new mold towards a new knife and incorporate all the waishes for a new Delica in that.

Wire clip as seen on the Native III, maybe. Keep the lightweight factor, though. Would like to see a FRN model (other than Delica/Endura) with a persian shaped blade too.

The only change I'd make would be to keep upgrading the blade steel. If I lose my Delica or Endura and cannot replace them with almost exactly what I had, I'd be very upset. Maybe I'd better get a few extras now and squirrel them away for later??? :(

Back