Endura / Delica - update - need input

Thinking about a grippier handle as alluded to in my first post. Why not a little thicker too?

The blade and handle on the Delica are perfect the way they are, please don't change. I would prefer a clip with no coating, the black coating on mine got scratched within days after I got it and hasn't looked good since. The clip has too much play in it too, even tightened as far as possible. A lower ride stainless clip with three screws would be great.

AllenC

Thanks for your words

I handled the mini-G, but decided against it because it was too small for me. Unlike the normal G, the mini-G has the steel liners not nested into the FRN, but broadly full length under the FRN.

As so, there is less chance of movement than the normal G. In fact, I do remember feeling that the mini-G was more "solid" than the normal G.

I'm not sending my G back to BM because I live in SEAsia, I'll just use it of odd jobs around the house, I don't think the liner movement is a safety issue, it is just a "feels no good" issue.

Putting steel liners into the Del and En will probably drive up their cost. I like the D and E also because they are low-cost. So I don't agree with that, but if Sal wants to make a D or E "plus", I'll probably get it, just leave the originals in production too.

For the D, there is already the CF one with the steel liner, so you can get that if you want. I also had a G-10 standard last time, this has a steel liner for the PE.

To me the D and E are low-cost, flat, light and perform OK. Also safe and reliable. These are their strengths. If spyderco wants to change the D and E, I'd like to see these attributes kept, whatever the changes.

pls dont add any weight to the FRN Endura -- the weight and thinness of it is a major major plus...

keep the lockback...i dont trust any other type of lock on a folder

The other thing I"d prefer not to be changed is the blade shape. In particular, I'm hoping the delica/endura blades don't get belly-ized like the Military. The only blade change I wouldn't get heartburn over is perhaps a bigger thumbhole.

An adjustable pivot screw instead of the rivet. It's about time.

Maybe some thin washers.

93121-C11.jpg

For space saving, here's the link to the thread at the Spyderco Forum
Thanks for watching.

Sal Glesser said:
I noticed there was not much mention of steel liners???
I think one of the reasons why the Endura and Delica models are so popular is because of the light weight. A steel liner/zytel knife would be a good addition to Spyderco's lineup; just not on the Endura and Delica.

Hi Sal,
The Endura is a great knife.Keep the original and make an offshoot or sister knife so to say.I have been using an Endura for years.I had a Rescue as my first Spyderco (which I still have).Later I went to the Endura's and don't know what I would do without one.
The Endura's and Delica's have been a great seller for me over the years.Between me and my show partner we sold more of these two models than any other knife.With plain or serrated selling about the same.The 50/50's come in just a hair less in sale's.
1. I would like to see a flat ground blade.
2.The deep pocket wire clip sounds like it may be a good idea.
3.Keep the black coated blades and maybe make some in green or tan.
4.I have never liked the 50/50 blades on any knife but to each his own.Just not enough blade of either edge for me.
5.Four postion screws for the clip.
6.S30V is a good steel to keep or try another of the new high performance steel's.
Seem's to me that most people here would like the flat ground blade and a different pocket clip for deep pocket carry.
Take care,
Pete
p.s. Thank you for the Endura it has made me feel comfortable more than once.

I would LOVE to see an Endura with S30V blade, G10 scales over Ti liners :D

Steven Andrews said:
I really like the one at the top. That's a great design!!

Heh heh. Somehow, it looks even better when dialex does his magic on it

For the one on the bottom, I'll repeat my fervent hope that Spyderco doesn't "improve" the endura and delica blades by putting more belly on them. That rounded belly may make sense for the Military, but the straighter edge on the current models is much more versatile and a much better fit for this knife, IMO.

BTW, I love the full flat grind on the bottom one, but Sal says they don't sell, and I'd hate the see the delica go the way of the Calypso Jr.!

Joe

I love the light weight of my endura. It can be clipped to just about anything with out having to worry about it dragging anythings down. So keeping it light would be very cool.

The flay grind thing I really don't care about. Spyderco knives own the sharpness title either way IMO. So what ever you do there is cool by me.

As far as material I like G10. It's durable, grippy, and comes in different colors. But it adds weight. So maybe texured carbon fiber would be better.

The more belly to the blade idea is tough. I like the blade being easy to control as it is now. But more belly would increase it's ability as a fighter should it be needed to serve as one. And as it was pointed out when one of us give a knife as a gift it's usually an Endura or Delica. And if you care enough about someone to give them such a nice knife, the ability for them to be able to defend themselves should be readily avilible in the knife. So since anyone that uses a knife regularly can often figure out how to use a deep bellied knife for utility without difficulty. I say "belly up!"

And I also have noticed that the sheeple like Spydie the big on the clip. So I wouldn't object to maybe making it bigger. ;)

I would like to see a delica with steel liners vg10,s30v and adjustable pivot,maybe a run.Personaly i feel the only knife to beat a delica is a small sebenza in that size grouping.

Small changes right ?

Tough one, I always thought they were just about perfect. But here goes ...

First. The density of the FRN. I know the original aim was to keep it as light as possible, but I find the FRN on the Delica, Endura and Calypso Jnrs too light. Any chance they can have a denser feel like the FRN on the Meerkat and Vesuvious. I would suggest dual steel liners, but I believe the Delica and Endura are Spyderco's budget models and steel liners could push put the price point too high.

The clip. Not a great fan of the barrel bolt clips, they've got better, but still tend to move around some. I would say swap to the wire clips, (tough, furniture friendly, and secure) but Sal says they cost more. Option two, the standard three clip screw with metal nuts embedded into the FRN like the Calypso Jnr. As for the clip it'self, about the best I have seen is the one on the recient limited run of Calypso Jnrs, plain metal with a black enamelled (?) Spyder in the centre.

Because Sal mentioned "re-doing" the mold, I take it we are just limited to the handle, but just in case ....
Although I have never broken the tip on a Delica or Endura, I keep thinking the tip is a bit thin, especially with it's very tapered blade profile. Perhaps just a little thicker at the tip.

Although I would like both models with a full flat grind, I'd have to leave that dicission to Sal and Spyderco. They know far better than me what sells.

I would like to see an adjustable pivot pin. There is nothing worse than having a blade just tight enough that it wont close easilly one handed and not be able to do anything about it.

I really like the compression lock, but I think these two models should stick with the lockbacks. There's something to be said for nice and simple.

I don't think the Delica or the Endura should get the "3D" treatment, I really like the slim and compact nature of these knives.

I really like the idea of a front finger choil. I find them rediculusly useful, and without sounding too much like a brown noser, I'd have to say Spyderco do them best. Too cost prohibitive ?

For the FRN Endura, a larger spyderhole, grooved thumb ramp, and fishscale bi-directionaly textured handle...

endura_mods.jpg

Same changes for the Delica.

Then, to address the demand for flat ground blades and choils, without tampering too much with these two very successful models, I'd suggest bringing back the C67 "R" with an FRN handle, and solid 3mm S30V blade with a full flat grind...

c67_revisited.jpg

I've shown it with a both three screw (with studs like the Calypso Jr.) and barrel bolt clip mounting. I'd prefer the three screw, even for tip up, as it allows retaining the lanyard hole postion of the orginal "R", but not sure if it would be feasible.

Back