Escaping the rabbit hole?

With bad availability, more everyday tasks, obligations and expenses I'm spending less and less time browsing knives... and I no longer feel ecstasy or excitement when I see something.

I see nice knife but then remember "I already have something similar/ I don't need it/ It's too expensive for me now..."

I'm also blaming a friend of mine here. It's kinda my fault he got into knives and it's his fault I'm kinda losing it. He got rid of everything but users, which made me think like "That's smart move for a student, oh wait... I'm a student too!"... I don't have anything to sell but I feel myself losing interest for a while now and this is kinda giving me another push i that direction.

I love knives I have, but I have zero desire of getting anything ese. I also stopped to care about super steels and that stuff too... I have zero interest in newest super steels when even existing ones are pretty amazing and are an overkill already, and honestly even plain old carbon is enough for me.

Anyone else been there?
Been there for a while now.

I agree the basic simple steels like 1095; 440A; and 420HC (as do T10; 1.4116; 7CR14MoV; and 9CR18MoV) get the job done. Just as they have for the last 100 plus years in the case of the 10xx carbon steels.
(I think stainless steel was first used in cutlery starting around 1928(?) if so, they haven't quite got a century under their belt.)
I still carry my D2; CPM154, and S30V equipped knives "just because" every now and again though. :)

I see maybe one new knife in my foreseeable future, but only if one of the three or four I already have gets here by October 4.

Do I "need" it? Nope. Not even if one of its sisters don't get here. I have others of the same pattern/style here.
I just want it because the covers will match a couple other knives I EDC regularly.
Every so often in my ancient/vintage age I want the covers on the one on my belt, and the 2 or 3 in my pocket to match.
It must be a "old guy" thing ...

When I first really got into knives I tried a lot of them. Wanted to try as many as I could. Over time I found a brand that worked for me and I settled in there. Sold off most of my others and started buying a lot of my preferred brand.

This year I’ve slowly started selling off and trying to slim down the amount of knives I have. I’ve only bought two this year and I’ve sold quite a few. Every now and again I get an itch but there’s really nothing out there at the moment that I can’t live without. Two years ago I would have already pulled the trigger on a 31 that’s in stock. My direct order will be here next year and I’m good with waiting. It is a good feeling to know exactly what you like and not necessarily chasing all the new releases

I may not be actively buying but I do like to have some idea of what is being offered. So, window shopping is good!

This year has been one of my poorest years financially since getting out of college. Circumstances have resulted in my adding photographic equipment this year that I might have purchased over a several year period. That said, I think I'm done. Like knives, it's time to use the stuff!

after a while i ended up with too many knives while realizing that i mostly preferred spyderco backlocks, so i sold off pretty much everything else on ebay. there was a lot of money just sitting around my room in the form of knives that just werent being used or carried. if you can narrow it down to just a few you prefer most, sell off the rest.

after a while i ended up with too many knives while realizing that i mostly preferred spyderco backlocks, so i sold off pretty much everything else on ebay. there was a lot of money just sitting around my room in the form of knives that just weren't being used or carried. if you can narrow it down to just a few you prefer most, sell off the rest.
I don't disagree with you on the selling. I'm just lazy and I hate setting a price.

Been there for a while now.

I agree the basic simple steels like 1095; 440A; and 420HC (as do T10; 1.4116; 7CR14MoV; and 9CR18MoV) get the job done. Just as they have for the last 100 plus years in the case of the 10xx carbon steels.
(I think stainless steel was first used in cutlery starting around 1928(?) if so, they haven't quite got a century under their belt.)
I still carry my D2; CPM154, and S30V equipped knives "just because" every now and again though. :)

I see maybe one new knife in my foreseeable future, but only if one of the three or four I already have gets here by October 4.

Do I "need" it? Nope. Not even if one of its sisters don't get here. I have others of the same pattern/style here.
I just want it because the covers will match a couple other knives I EDC regularly.
Every so often in my ancient/vintage age I want the covers on the one on my belt, and the 2 or 3 in my pocket to match.
It must be a "old guy" thing ...

Not an old guy thing. I'm 41, and frequently coordinate the knife to match my outfit. Black pants red shirt? I carry my red Heretic Manticore E.

I have lots of different colors. The clip of my Spyderco Domino is anodized blue to go with jeans...

I'm full on sick.

I’ve escaped a few rabbit holes myself. My first love was dress shoes and suits, then scotch. I was enjoying guns, but there’s an “availability” problem...lol Kinda fell into pocket knives, and I’m trying to be less obsessed about collecting and more concerned with learning what is out there and what characteristics work for me. So that I can avoid the money dump of making costly mistakes along the way (been there). Wish me luck...

Last edited:
I doubt I'll ever crawl out of the rabbit hole. I can't even crawl out of a spydiehole!

Kigjw6g.jpg

Some days I daydream about selling or giving away about 99% of everything. At one point in my life I fit everything I own into a 1976, 2 door Honda accord. I would like to get back to that level of minimalism!

Yes. You can see I've been a member here since 2003, but my fascination of knives started long before that. I phase in and out. I realize that I collect them more than use them; there are only so many opportunities with a desk job.

By the way, I noticed there are others who are into watches and photography; me too! I'm actually a moderator on the Open Talk forum over at DPReview.com. It's a busy photography forum, well worth a look. Long-time member at timezone and watchuseek fora also.

How about motorcycling? I do sport-touring motorcycling. I need to work on the front brakes of my Versys 1000 today. (clean the spools and probably install new pads) MSTA.org is the motorcycle club I belong to; if you're into sport-touring, check it out. Maybe we'll find there's a group of people here who share a lot of similar hobbies.

Some days I daydream about selling or giving away about 99% of everything. At one point in my life I fit everything I own into a 1976, 2 door Honda accord. I would like to get back to that level of minimalism!

At one point in my life when I was in the army, everything I owned fit in a 1966 VW bug. I was very happy with very little.

It just goes to show how materialistic we can get.

Carl, I can relate to your post. I could fit everything I owned into my 1960 VW bug when I was a college student on the GI Bill circa 1967-1971. "Travel light, travel fast."

I come and go on all my hobbies. Knives, watches (way more expensive than knives mostly), flashlights, guns, trucks. Let’s just say I have probably over a quarter million in hobbies. Yeah, yeah, I know :p

Comes and goes for me also. I was using only one knife for almost a year (Benchmade Anthem) so all the others just stayed in my knife storage. I recently picked up a new Hinderer XM-18 Gen6 which is great but to justify buying another knife I sold a couple others. I also flip back and forth between traditional folders and one-hand openers. At this point I've starting to sell more and more knives that do not see use any longer.
One other factor is we will be buying property out of state in the next couple months so the more stuff I sell the more for a down payment especially given that we already have a house payment.

Back