ESEE 3-Mil-S-CP – Form/Function = Urban Tacticool?

Serrated or non serrated? Clip Point or no clip point? Do I “Really need” these functions? Are the useful? :confused:

Please forgive the sporatic review and pics (all phone)

I gifted my first 3 to someone who (At least during Snowboarding season) will use it much more than myself. I missed it and wanted to try out a 3-Mil.

For the record – I am a plain edge type of guy. Actually aside from a BK3 that I have in my truck (and kitchen knifes) this is my only other serrated blade.

For the record – I bought a ESEE 4 Clip point and it was a bad move on my part:eek:. I would have much rather gotten the plain edge. I see why others think this is such a useful bush blade, great overall size. Maybe I’ll get around to putting this on the exchange, either way I’m in for the Stainless 4 when it’s time. I just can’t find a decent use for the Clip Point 4 at this point. Hindsight and all.

I work in a Cardclub and because of my position I get to do a little of everything around the place, I needed a knife that had some function. Some days it’s breaking down boxes, some opening payroll, some putting together gaming tables etc… I generally carry a folder, been totin’ around the HEST and Izula depending on what my day needs (or as far as I can imagine it will).

Anyway-

Got this baby from Howes Knife Shop – Heard good things and they were all true. Jim is great, super fast shipping.

Got to let the relatives open it right? (Izzy was getting a new edge)

IMG_2097.JPG

The 3 Mil comes with the Molle Back attached and the Green Foliage sheath, boot clip and molle loks, etc..

IMG_2099.JPG

There is a lot going on here for a small blade!!….I was very excited to see the clip-point works so much better with the thinner blade of the 3, and the overall size.

Serrations – What can I say that hasn’t already about the ESEE serrations? Don’t need em? Ok, but these are the best I have seen and used. Bravo.

I will say at this point where I can see the difference between Rowen QC and other brands. The grinds on the tip of the blade were excellent, shaving sharp and they followed the back clip/body line all the way to the point and every angle (naked eye) looked symmetrical to the next. Again, Bravo.

IMG_2107.JPG

Listen up, this is the difference between the Mil and the regular version. CANVAS micarta slabs and sharpened glass breaker. I am anxiously looking to test the glass breaker….

IMG_2109.JPG

Another Shot of the Clip Point

IMG_2110.JPG

Pretty much the last time the handles will feel and look this clean:D

IMG_2116.JPG

Cutting the overflow parking tape on Chinese New Years day…I could have used a plain edge for this but this knife came in mighty handy opening all of the lucky money;)

IMG_2166.JPG

I wasn’t completely sold on the Canvas, I have a 4 that has Linen and I wanted to give that a fair shake as I don’t EDC either of them. When I went to swap the 4 handles I noticed these extra numbers…because they are Clip Points? Handles swapped perfect BTW.

IMG_2248.JPG

I put a pretty mean edge on it (Sharpmaker, some DMT Stone and a Strop…) and tackled the “Honey do” list of gutting my garage and laying some extra carpet.

The serrations were a large help in getting through the carpet, although the plain part blew through it as well.

I really like the way that this feels in hand, with the Serrations and the clip point I know it can get gimmicky but look at the working area of this blade -works perfect with my hand size (medium/large paws).

IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

Index in the choil, thumb on the jimping…the rest is all working blade. I love it.

IMG_2260.JPG

Overall it’s a knife purchase not only was I excited about making, but it is also one of the most satisfying purchases I have made in a while.

I understand that the green foliage is liked by some but for my needs with this knife I need to get a black sheath…a little less conspicuous with dark suits on.

I wish I would have had this before getting my 4 Clip Point…

I will be re-felting a few gaming tables and will use this to see how effective its use is. Will report back in the next week or so.

My hat is off to ESEE and Rowen. Gimmicky? Depends on what you need it for. Personally this fits my Urban need well.

Last edited:
BTW...

I did this on Christmas eve, we had to rip up a table and re pad it to get it ready for a new game. Almost all of this was done with the HEST….except the new staples…

Probably the best use for the HEST was the prybar in taking out those dang staples….

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1658.JPG

The old pad was almost disintegrating.

IMG_1662.JPG

With the new pad, ready for some felt…

IMG_1668.JPG

I think my 3mil would work perfect for this purpose but I want one more thing….
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808895&page=4
Post #72
Please?

Thanks for checking this out.

Last edited:
I have an RC 3 and I love it. It's is regular EDC for me now.
I really want to try the 3 MIL but not interested in serrations or CP models.
Hope you can get some pics testing the glass breaker.
Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the pics!!!

Nice review and pics. Some folks like to use the clip point as a striker with their fire kit as well.

Nice review and pics. Some folks like to use the clip point as a striker with their fire kit as well.

I'm still trying to decide between a 4 and a 5P,
I like the 4 for the CP to use with a firesteel.

I really like the look of the 5P though.

Congrats on your purchase.

Nice mini-review!

The extra numbers under the scales are on all the knives, that is the heat treat date. June 11, 2010. Your knives were heat treated the same day it appears.

To prevent confusion for those looking at the 3MIL, it comes with "molle locks", the Tek-Lok is a different attachment sold seperately.

That was one of the most honest reviews ive ever read...you actually use your knife.

good job, and excellent review

-adamam04 - Thanks for the correction. I fixed it. :thumbup, and for clearing up the question I had about the numbers. Makes since now.

Thanks for looking, I will be taking more pics of this around the job to see what odd things the knife encounters.

So, why do you not like the 4's clip point? The knife is thicker, so I'm guessing that's partly the difference.
I'm suprised that you don't like the canvas. Get the two different materials wet or bloody, and I find the canvas has more grip. That's just my experience.

So, why do you not like the 4's clip point? The knife is thicker, so I'm guessing that's partly the difference.
I'm suprised that you don't like the canvas. Get the two different materials wet or bloody, and I find the canvas has more grip. That's just my experience.

I like the 4 alot, I just wish I had gotten one without the clip point. The 3 CP is what I was looking for size wise. The thickness and the size. Pulling out a fixed blade is one thing when the bade is around 3". Anything more and it gets more attention that I need it to. :D

In regards to the canvas, I wanted to give the Linen a fair shake on my day to day. Rocked the canvas for about 5 days and will do the same for the linen. I am seeing what you are talking about, I'll have to try the wet test this coming weekend. Thanks for the input!

My hands are about the same size as yours I'm definitely getting this blade as well but minus the serrations but that may change

My hands are about the same size as yours I'm definitely getting this blade as well but minus the serrations but that may change

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any specific use in mind?

I really do like the serrations. Might be the only blade that I purchase with them on it, even from ESEE but I am very happy with them. Let me know how your search goes, I imagine there isn't a huge calling for this specific knife and not sure how they are numbered but I got # 2539

Well I could definitely use this blade for edc in NYC cause of its size & my lady seems to want to rob me of my new hest. I do alot of cutting for work whether its cardboard or foam. I'm an art handler/ truck driver. I don't know about the serrations although they could be useful god forbid i get into an accident & need to cut myself out of the seatbelt

Great mini review of the ESEE 3MIL CP! I still to have yet pick up one of the clip point versions but know one isn't that far off. You've got some fairly big paws, yet even with gloves on the 3 seem to work well for you. My 3MIL is one of my favorite blades also. Glad to see you've been putting it through it's paces.

Well I could definitely use this blade for edc in NYC cause of its size & my lady seems to want to rob me of my new hest. I do alot of cutting for work whether its cardboard or foam. I'm an art handler/ truck driver. I don't know about the serrations although they could be useful god forbid i get into an accident & need to cut myself out of the seatbelt

I think the plain edge will suit you fine. I got the serrations to test them out but still agree that a plain blade is more useful all around.

Its never a bad thing if your lady wants to get into knives. I have been trying to get mine to carry one in her SUV forever....of course, a line should be drawn when she is taking "your" knives! :D

I'm gonna end up getting her own Esee. She likes my H.e.s.t. because of its size. She's going to get me a 5 for valentines day :D

My 3Mil is one of my favorite knives. I think the new SE/CP version would be great to have in a survival situation. I have thought about buying one for a specific kit, but I'm sure I wouldn't want to edc it. I'd have concerns about the stigma that goes with double edged knives. If I were and LEO or in the military I'd definitely have one in my gear. Since I'm not I'll just stick with carrying this one.

IMG_9628.jpg

Back