ESEE 6 vs Ontario RAT 7

Sorry if this has been done before, I did a search and didn't find anything recent.

Anyhow, I've been pinching those pennies and saving up for an ESEE 6. I bought an Izula and love it, and I'd like to get another of the ESEE line up. However, money is really tight and I've got to find deals and value wherever and whenever I can. I can get a RAT 7 2nd for around 70 dollars, and those savings mean a lot. The warranty isn't a super big deal to me, I'm pretty confident I can go without breaking it. I also want to make try my hand at making a kydex sheath, and with the molded plastic sheath of the ESEE 6 it would be a waste of time.

I know I'm probably talking to some biased individuals, but I figure with the RAT 7 being designed by RAT (I believe, I could be wrong) that a lot of members might have that knife as well. So, keeping in mind that money is a HUGE factor, what would you recommend?

Futz,

I have an ESEE-6 (recently purchased), and it is a very good knife. I would recommend saving your extra nickels and getting the ESEE. I've seen a RAT 7 at a local knife shop, and while I'm certain it's a good knife, I passed. Fit and finish, and overall QC was less than impressive. I understand money is a factor, it always is, but I'd rather wait and get what I really want than buy what I can afford at the moment.

SP

The ESEE6 is basically a refined RAT7 IMHO -- if your budget is that tight, then buy the best you can on that budget. if the RAT7 meets your needs, then go for it, there's nothing wrong with them. (otherwise, Jeff wouldn't endorse it, would he?)

IMHO... Ontario's knife seem to be more mass produced so the Q.C. is not that great. Example: I owned a Ranger series knife, great blade but the scales were not lined up flush, I tried to align them correctly but could not because the scales were not made right. I found a Rat RC-6 here on the forum, used but not abused, and as soon as I gripped the knife I could tell the quality control is better. The scales are flush with the handle of the blade, the knife was alot sharper, and the knife's fit to the sheath is alot better. I would suggest to save a little more and maybe a Rat/ESEE 6 may come up for sale. But just like others have suggested, get the knife that more suits your needs.

I bought a 7. sent it back as soon as i found out about esee's warranty/customer service and i got a 5. the 7, in hand, was every nice and i used it so take the core out of a cabbage haha. thats all i did with it before i sent it back. i liked the overall finish of the esee better so i am glad that i did what i did

I liked the RAT-7 better than the BK-7. The RAT-7 and ESSE-6 are really close. The ESEE has a 1/2" shorter blade, better point, more rounded handles and all, but in use they are about the same.

I have the 6 and it is the cats arse...... Just save a bit more and get the 6 you will not be disappointed.:thumbup:

The 7 is a good knife

Appreciate the honest advice. I'm a novice in the knife world so a good knife is all I need for right now.

Trust me though, when I'm in a little bit better position money wise there will be plenty of ESEE knives in my future. I can't say enough about how much I love the Izula, and I imagine all your other products are just as good, or better.

To others, the scales being flush isn't an issue because I've been having a great time making my own micarta scales.

I have both. The fit and finish on the 7 did'nt stop it from butchering a hog at our camp about two weeks ago. Apparently that knife did'nt know that it could'nt do the job because it is'nt as PRETTY as my other ESEE's.:rolleyes:

I have both. The fit and finish on the 7 did'nt stop it from butchering a hog at our camp about two weeks ago. Apparently that knife did'nt know that it could'nt do the job because it is'nt as PRETTY as my other ESEE's.:rolleyes:

Oh my God, that was awsome! Get either, they're both great.

To others, the scales being flush isn't an issue because I've been having a great time making my own micarta scales.

I know making micarta is cheap.... But once you factor in the cost of new kydex for a sheath, and some new scales, you're getting pretty close to the diffrence in cost between the RAT7 and the ESEE6.

The RAT7 is indeed a fine knife. But for the $50 difference, I'd personally save a little more and get what I wanted. Especially when money is tight, I've found its the best idea to save and buy the best I could.

I know making micarta is cheap.... But once you factor in the cost of new kydex for a sheath, and some new scales, you're getting pretty close to the diffrence in cost between the RAT7 and the ESEE6.

Yeah but it gives me something to do and keeps me off the crack.

EDIT- Nevermind, I think it's in my best interests to buy the 7, deal with the nylon sheath, and spend my savings on the crack. Thanks for the advice though.

EDIT AGAN- I still don't know what I'll get. Money sorta just happens when it happens, and I for sure would rather have the 6. Still on the fence, but when whatever I buy arrives you guys will be the first to know.

Last edited:
If you really want the 6 and money is a factor, buying the 7 will be money spent instead of saving for the 6. If you only want one knife, then you should wait until you can afford the 6. Buying the best equipment first is always less expensive in the long run.

If you really want the 6 and money is a factor, buying the 7 will be money spent instead of saving for the 6. If you only want one knife, then you should wait until you can afford the 6. Buying the best equipment first is always less expensive in the long run.

:thumbup: this is sound advice!!!!!

i have never held a "6" nor an Ontario Rat 7, BUT i have spent what i thought was less money buying the lesser version of what i TRULY WANTED. it was dis-satisfying and has always ended up with me buying both and feeling like i wasted the money on the sbustitute ymmv

The RAT 7 I bought some time back, is in D2 steel. I have always like D2, O1 and A2 for knives.
After several years of hard use with the Ontario blade, I can't fault it. Still razor sharp, no edge rolling or chipping, and no rust.
RAT7.jpg

OK I just want to say I am a new ESEE owner and I bought the ESEE-5. It is one hell of a knife. In general this is what I do. Research....ask...learn.... listen. Wait... don't rush in. Get exactly what you want the first time.

If you are on a definite budget then from what I have seen and read above get the 7. If you can get one coffee a day instead of 2 or 1 six pack of beer instead of 2 on your weekend then soon you will save up enough for what you want. That's what I do... I make a list of expensive items ... less expensive and prioritize.

I don't know your situation but get what works the best for you. Be careful I currently have BRD Black Rifle Disease....and there has to be a knife sickness or disorder that I am quickly catching. when I start dreaming about knives I will know I have gotten something

Back