ESEE 6 vs Ontario RAT 7

The RAT 7 I bought some time back, is in D2 steel. I have always like D2, O1 and A2 for knives.
After several years of hard use with the Ontario blade, I can't fault it. Still razor sharp, no edge rolling or chipping, and no rust.
RAT7.jpg

you sure that has even been used?

I've been in this position a few times and pretty much every time I've wished I had gotten what I really wanted the first time around.

The Ontario is a good knife, nothing against it.

Where it lacks is the cheaper nylon sheath, quality of the handles and blade finish, and most of all the heat treat. If I were looking for a knife in the $70 range I'd be looking at a Becker instead of an Ontario.

Good luck!

BK-7 for sure. My favorite in the Becker line. Just one helluva knife for the price!

Yo Futz...If money is an issue and you have a little time....work the exchange forum. I realized that I had way too many knives that I would never use and were just collecting dust.

Since becoming a member I've been able to trade and have collected an ESEE-4 (used but does it really matter?), Izula 2 (like new), ESEE-4 (Like New), RC-6 (New), Izula (new)

I later sold the newer ESEE-4 and will be putting that money toward and brand new 4 or new 5.

Like I said dig through your stuff and work the trade forums.

Only you know for sure. If you save up and get they 6 would won't regret waiting. If you pull the trigger on the RAT-7 are going to wind up wishing you'd saved for a 6 instead?

I'd save up for what I really want. Which for me would be the 6 'cause I really dig using it.

what if you don't drink coffee?

Then you're already saving money and don't even know it.

I'd do the Becker BK7. They also have an excellent warranty.
If you do the Rat 7, and the scales don't fit quite well, just sand them into the F&F that allows for a comfortable grip.
I've sanded down two Ontarios scales so far, they actually hurt before I modified them.
In the end, you will want/need a useable/reliable knife. That's the most important concern.

I've never heard anything bad about Ontario, although I have handles a few and the F&F is a little off on some of them. If I were to choose, I'd get the BK7. Although if you don't abuse the knife, I am sure either will do you good. :thumbup:

I have several esee knives and it all started w my rat7 that has processed a lot of wood,and prepared many meals, and its still going strong. I did replace the sheath and I agree that when you factor in cost its pretty close to an esee 6.

the bk7 dosnt look bad the sheath is made in china the sheath on the ontario blows but you can get d2 ontarios sp series arnt bad for the money or save up and get a bark river bravo 2 or the real rat 6

Damn we pissed someone off and didn't even know about it????

I'm going to need your Pissed Off consumers to send out a bigger radar ping.
I didn't even catch that one. At this rate, I'm never going to get a Junglas on the cheap.

Maybe we need to start a membership club that pissed off people can sign up for. We will give them some type of happy pill in exchange for signing up and then pass on their wares to the masses.

Maybe we need to start a membership club that pissed off people can sign up for. We will give them some type of happy pill in exchange for signing up and then pass on their wares to the masses.

We can call it EPMOC.

The ESEE Pissed Me Off Club. Where folks can come to sell their knives for pennies on the dollar out of spite and to “show you” and in change can get some ointment for the sandgina.

So I got my 6 today. I opened up the box and unwrapped and the first thing out of my mouth was "shiiiiiiiiiit"

This is a nice goddamned knife! Color me impressed. I can't quit holding it, I love it. Thanks everybody for swaying me towards it. I have a feeling I wouldn't like the 7 nearly as much.

I think I'm gonna sell a kidney so I can get more ESEE. Wish me luck.

there's a reason the 6 is my favorite.
glad you found one in your price range.

Back