ESEE and Fallkniven - Your Thoughts

LOL. Take a look around you man. What about the computer your using? Or the phone you talk on? Or the TV you watch? The Japanese have been practicing metallurgy for over 2000 years. Made in JAPAN does not equal inferior. With many products, it's quite the opposite. A quote from one of my favorite movies comes to mind.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds" - Doc Holiday, Tombstone.

No Hypocrisy at all. When it comes to knives, I have a choice of buying from a company in the USA, made by Americans, backed by Americans. So, why in the hell would I want to give Japan my knife money? It has nothing to do with how long they have been making them, or the quality. It has everything to do with supporting my fellow Americans.

I don't have that luxury/choice when it comes to computers, or phones or televisions.

Tom

Last edited:
I own the rc3, rc4 and izula along with an f1. The f1 is a top notch knife but I have had chipping on the edge and yes it came while using that factory edge. My rc3 is my number 1 user by far I just like the ergos, size sheath carry options pans ease of sharpening. I just touch up from time to time with a smiths sharpener. My rc4 is in my BOB that stays in the truck along with a chopper of the day. With that said my f1 is in my home evac bag as I see it being used as more a kitchen utility knife vs my esee 3 and 4 being field users for more ruff and dirty work.

I had an S1 and for me I did not like the feel of the handle and not a fan of VG10
I prefer 1095 & A2 & some D2 as my favorite knife Steel

TAGannon said:
No Hypocrisy at all. When it comes to knives, I have a choice of buying from a company in the USA, made by Americans, backed by Americans. So, why in the hell would I want to give Japan my knife money? It has nothing to do with how long they have been making them, or the quality. It has everything to do with supporting my fellow Americans.

I don't have that luxury/choice when it comes to computers, or phones or televisions.

Here is a new quote for you. "Kiss my American Butt".

Tom

Fair enough Tom. Clearly, I misinterpreted the meaning behind your reply. To be completely fair though, your response was rather vague. Given there was no mention of support for American business, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to understand how I drew my conclusion. I'll leave off with this. Support whatever you like. I'll be clear here in what I support. Getting the most bang for my buck. Made in the USA or not. With regards to the Fallkniven F1, as of right now it's the best money I ever spent on a knife.

Respectfully
Adam

Fair enough Tom. Clearly, I misinterpreted the meaning behind your reply. To be completely fair though, your response was rather vague. Given there was no mention of support for American business, it shouldn't be terribly difficult to understand how I drew my conclusion. I'll leave off with this. Support whatever you like. I'll be clear here in what I support. Getting the most bang for my buck. Made in the USA or not. With regards to the Fallkniven F1, as of right now it's the best money I ever spent on a knife.

Respectfully
Adam

:thumbup::thumbup:

From what I am understanding Fallkniven offers a two year limited warranty on their blades. This would make me a little hesitant on truly putting it to good use. If I am mistaken on this let me know. They are pretty good looking knives.....

I've always liked Fallkniven's knives and would not be afraid to use was anywhere in the world. I have no problems trusting them. Period.

I've always liked Fallkniven's knives and would not be afraid to use was anywhere in the world. I have no problems trusting them. Period.

I would have to take your word for it, I have not handled a Fallkniven. I am sure they are a high quality hard use knife. I would have been better off saying that when comparing Fallkniven to Esee I would lean toward Esee, one reason being warranty.

There are few things made in America that are still bad ass. But Esee knives happen to be one! I agree with the notion that 1095 has a primitive appeal to it. The FK's are def. nice blades, esee for me...

If I can come up with the cash I'm going to purchase a fallkniven A2 over a Junglas but I think I would trust either with my life. I've handled a Junglas a few times and I gotta say it is defintely a top notch blade. I really like the designs of both companies. You can't go wrong with either.

So, why in the hell would I want to give Japan my knife money? It has nothing to do with how long they have been making them, or the quality. It has everything to do with supporting my fellow Americans.
I thought it has to do with.. buying a quality product. ;) I can understand your opinion but for me the only thing that matters is the product itself. :)
One thing I can say is ESEE warranty takes the cake in that department, bar none.
That's why I bought my ESEE. Better price-performance ratio for me + I don't want a convex blade and I don't like the Fällkniven handles much.. The older Fällkniven knives (with ATS34 instead of VG10) were produced in Solingen, Germany.

If I can come up with the cash I'm going to purchase a fallkniven A2 over a Junglas but I think I would trust either with my life. I've handled a Junglas a few times and I gotta say it is defintely a top notch blade. I really like the designs of both companies. You can't go wrong with either.

I got a Fallkniven A2 since it has been released. (2003 ?) Mince got a kydex sheath.
It's a great chopper with a 8 inches blade and the convex ground laminated steel is amazing.
But VG10 does not provide a "forgiving edge" as a 1095 edge heat treated by Rowen will.
Especially if you hit some rock/stone while chopping sticks on the floor for example. (something I don't do, but have seen done many time on the wood soils...)

Anyway the Fallkniven A2 is one of my favorite forest knife even if I prefer micarta to kraton (but Fallkniven's choice is really smart for cold weather and electric fences...).
What is unique with this knife IMHO is with that convex grind, it never get stuck in the wood like V grind will. It's appreciable not to lose energy getting back the knife into action. Wood chips fly everywhere and chopping is really easy. It suits me well.
Now beware not to hit the VG10 edge with something harder than wood: then the steel will chip.
I have maintain the edge with ceramic and some stropping on a belt. Got some microchips near the tip, but don't really mind about it.
I don't own (yet) a ESEE chopper but got my eye on that Junglas and the ESEE 5...:thumbup:

Last edited:
Thats good to hear about the A2. Im carful with my knives so I dont think I'd have a chipping problem. I just really want a beautiful satin bowie. And I have been eying the 5 for a while but just bought a RMD. Maybe Ill trade and get a 5, Im a sucker for thick indestructible knives :D

Thats good to hear about the A2. Im carful with my knives so I dont think I'd have a chipping problem. I just really want a beautiful satin bowie. And I have been eying the 5 for a while but just bought a RMD. Maybe Ill trade and get a 5, Im a sucker for thick indestructible knives :D

If you careful you won't have any problem. My A2 is reliable and a joy to use.
The Laminated 420J/VG10 is a scratch magnet but it gives some "beautility" to the knife.
I love mine as stropping seems to cure everything...

But I would love to convex a ESEE 5... :D as a compact chopper !
And since Newt Livesay's first RTAK with Jeff, I love their big long knives... OK Xmas will provide some budget to invest in one of those ESEE Life Guaranty choppers....

P1060543.jpg

Picture of my old beater next to an IKEA VG10 Chef knife (another story...)
Actually I was quite surprised how the kraton did not get sticky with the years on this one.
My previous F1 and A1 always been sticky aging in the end and they were slowly turning into blisters makers. IMHO Kraton sucks... and the sun (UV) seems to make it age fast.
Some issues you will never get with ESEE micarta handles...

Last edited:
I love both ESEE and Fällkniven.
As for the chipping; I hit some rocks several times with my A1 and never had a problem with chips. just used a sharpening stone for 2 minutes and the edge was back to normal.
For me the main advantage of ESEE is that the knives are cheaper, but coming from Europe, the difference isn't that huge.
So for Quality and performance i'd go with the Fällkniven. For better looks and better Money/Kinfe ratio I'd go with ESEE.
Both are just awesome companies.

BTW: Another ESEE-3 will arrive the next days :D

Only ESEE knife I own is the 4. Only Fallkniven I own is the Idun. Neither get babied. Both get used hard. No problem with either chipping , etc. Just depends on what mood I am to carry. Also have several BRKTs. I havent had a problem with those either. I do think that ESEE gives you the most knife for the dollar though. And I didnt care for the sheath that came with the Fallkniven. But thats just me. I still want a Junglas and and S1.

I have a Fallkniven F1 and A1 strapped to my Junglas Laserna pack. I have 100% confidence in both blades and have no worries about abusing them in the field. They take an edge that's beyond wicked.....trust me, I have no hairs on my legs along with the first layer of skin removed to prove it....:D

I have a few of each and really I just grab whatever is closest. I generally don't like stainless steels because I find them to be harder than carbon steels to sharpen, especially when you are away from your bench tools, but I make an exception for VG-10. Basically, I have the Fallknivens because I thought I should have a stainless knife or two and I like VG-10.

Not to be a smart ass but the reason you don't see a lot of stainless knives being used in the jungle is a little RUST DOES NOT MATTER when it comes to working knives, survival knives, etc. When I first started taking extended trips into the jungle I never carried anything except a carbon steel machete and carbon steel fixed blades, such as old KaBars. They served me well. Very well.

Agree. I learned this carrying firearms for 30 years. Blue steel's rust risk is VERY overstated, if one takes minimally reasonable care. I'm not even talking about meticulous care. Just minimally reasonable. Similar with blades. If you use them, what little rust which appears can readily be removed with little fanfare.

Once again, it's OK to 'like' a variety of knives. I don't think ESEE is going to mind if we 'stray' occasionally from our fidelity to their brand! I've got quite a few Fallkniven's as well as CR's (Nyala, Mountaineer, among others) and just ordered a BK-77 (it's at the PO as I type). So, relax folks and just enjoy what you have!

Back