ESEE and Fallkniven - Your Thoughts

Love my A1. It's greatest advantage compared to my ESEEs is its stainless steel. It holds an edge for a longer time than the ESEEs, at least that's my feeling, but more importantly, you have to really mistreat it if you want it to rust. And while the ESEEs can almost be sharpened just by staring at them (I love that), the A1's VG-10 steel isn't hard to sharpen at all, too.

I pack the A1 mainly because it's lightweight for it's size and thickness, but I use the ESEEs more, honestly speaking mainly because of their wonderful warranty. Not that I think I could ever break the A1 though. Well, and I simply prefer the looks of the ESEEs so much more. Also, the plastic handle of my A1 has yet to stand the test of time. It lies good in the hand though and stays warm, goes around the tang, much nicer in winterly weather to touch plastic than metal.

Well, considering the price point of the Fällkniven, the comparison isn't fair anyhow. It's my most expensive knife to this day.

I bought, and then sold a Falkniven F1. I did not like the handle feel or shape, and was not impressed with the blade itself.

I'll take the ESEE 4 P CP any day.

when you factor in the cost/value comparison, the ESEE wins hands down.

I have 2 Fallkniven F1 (VG10 & 3G), and I owned then sold a RC3.
Very similar knives.

I preferred the Stainless blade on the F1, being a low maintenance kinda guy, the RC3 had a green coating on it, which I didn't love.

The RC3 sheath was nice, I think the Fallkniven Zytel sheath is nicer. Originally I had the Fallkniven leather sheath which was dull but functional.

Probably overall I favoured the F1, because it was simple, a classic shape, a plain blade, and a good feel in the hand.

I appreciate the "buy American" sentiment, and as an Australian, I often feel the same. However, when buying a knife that might well last a lifetime, I think it best to think global and get the best I can.

I just looked back at my posts in this thread. I actually just picked up a Junglas over an A2 but I'll be getting an A1 blank and making some scales for it in the near future. I cant wait to put my Junglas to use :D

Back