ESEE forum closed... bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff's a rolling stone. I've posted in two abandoned Rat/ESEE forums now.

Sorry to drag this on, I know this is O/T but I just wanted to state that Ken and I have taken our little discussion offline and all's well now. See, I knew he was an ok guy!

Cheers Ken! ;-)

Also, all mods on all forums are power-trippers. the end.

:rolleyes:

The super mods on bladeforums are top-notch. Of all the places I visit, this has to be one of the most balanced forums in terms of rules vs freedoms. Sure I have scene some unfair actions from normal mods (red name right?) but nothing like other forums where you witness mods trolling people and banning those who fight back.

The fact remains they have a job to do. Some people expect an exception and have rules bent for them and only them but its not a realistic request. ESEE expected to have the rules bent for them and it just wasn't something that the mods could allow. People who can't understand this are going to be disappointed. It's nothing personal so get over it.

Hi Spark -

I think this site is one of, if not the best moderated site that I have been a member of on the internet.

There are a few notables that work overtime to keep the place civil.

I think the decision to leave over such an insignificant issue was a poor choice for the business of selling ESEE knives, but nobody asked my opinion.

I would not have known about the Izula without hearing about it on this very site.

Excellent post I could not agree more.

I enjoyed the ESEE forum and through it I have purchased 9 ESEE knives. I would not have made those 9 purchases without the exposure of ESEE on BF.

BF is the premier knife forum on the web and BF and Spark will have my continued support.

I wish Jeff and Mike everything of the best. I am sorry that they made the decision to leave, but it was their decision.

It does make my head spin to think of how in such of short amount of time we could go from Esee/BF membership drives to this.

um, wow.
didn't you ever hear "there's no such thing as an absolute"?
from my experience here on BF, rarely have I seen a mod on a power trip, and have had some good advice and assistance from a few in PMs.

:rolleyes:

The super mods on bladeforums are top-notch. Of all the places I visit, this has to be one of the most balanced forums in terms of rules vs freedoms. Sure I have scene some unfair actions from normal mods (red name right?) but nothing like other forums where you witness mods trolling people and banning those who fight back.

The fact remains they have a job to do.
<snip>
People who can't understand this are going to be disappointed. It's nothing personal so get over it.

this.
+1.

... and what we deal with everyday so when I am less than cordial think about how much crap I may have had to clean up all over the place. Your thread was 1 of 12 I had to edit and/or lock that day because of one thing or another.

wow, just wow. so you actually think it's ok to call peoples posts crap just because they don't fit inside your box?!
well you're a "supermod" so you do have means to an end. but don't wonder if people start to leave.

i'm just glad i was slow to pull the trigger on a gold membership - slow enough to see this bs unfold before i did...

i'm going to see how this develops before i jump ship though since i still like the idea to see all knife&gear-related user-generated information in one place.
it's a shame that even people with a common interest just can't get along. the human stain i guess...

Ive read the thread over there, and this one, and all I can say is im kinda dissapointed in the thrashing they are giving Ken C over there. Some of those guys I thought better of then that. Saying one thing here, then another over there.... But what should I expect, a couple years ago RYP was a touted a hero to all them, and then very quickly, hes not. I tend to believe the bandwagon hate thing Ken was talking about. You see it alot on forums.

Ken C,

I apologize Ken for the behaivior of said individuals. There is never a need to get so personal about these things... I think you are a pretty solid guy. Stubborn at times, but everyone is. While sometimes I might not agree with the way you mod. I realize you have a job to do, and I respect that. That dont make you an A#$hole in my book, Id still buy ya a beer and talk blades with ya, and share a laugh or two. Dont let em get to ya. Im sorry.

Bummer ESEE had to go. I bet alot of folks said leaving Ontario would hurt their bussiness. Eh..Well they be doin ok. They will continue to be ok. ESEE wont be a cuss word here so im sure they will still have a fan base and wont fade away into the night. Im just gonna have to keep up with their stuff over there. Its mainly classes Im interested in, but I do have my eye on something from them.....

I think its time this thread faded away. Whats done is done, and I think it would be a show of class for everyone to let it go, lock the thread, and move on.

Überich;9446497 said:
wow, just wow. so you actually think it's ok to call peoples posts crap just because they don't fit inside your box?!
well you're a "supermod" so you do have means to an end. but don't wonder if people start to leave.

i'm just glad i was slow to pull the trigger on a gold membership - slow enough to see this bs unfold before i did...

i'm going to see how this develops before i jump ship though since i still like the idea to see all knife&gear-related user-generated information in one place.
it's a shame that even people with a common interest just can't get along. the human stain i guess...
Look, I hate to break it to you but not everything is a personal insult.

This sort of thin skinned "He called a bunch of posts crap, HOW DARE HE!" behavior is one of the most irksome things about moderator tasks. He wasn't even addressing you, and yet you managed to let it get under your skin. This childish attitude is not welcome here: you need to realize that the mods have a job to do, and part of their job is addressing with various problem posts, threads, and posters. If he calls someone's post crap, stuff, garbage, etc, and it's not yours... get over it. Pronto. Or beat feet elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to buy a membership, and really if you are going to be mortally wounded by moderators taking action, I'm not sure you are a great fit for our community anyhow.

You want to get along? Then do so, because as far as I can tell nobody even mentioned your name. Otherwise don't turn a molehill into a mountain.

And the haters hate because they simply follow the mob. They want to be one of the cool kids. They choose not to think for themselves because it's easier to have someone else do it for them.

:D Glad that's not me ,
I play well with all forums I am on BF,JD,KF,XD,Jungletraining & a few others.
I am sad to see ESEE leave BF but that does not mean I am closing the door,I enjoy every forum I have posted on & will continue to interact on all of them until I am no longer welcome.

If it wasnt for Blade Forums, i would have never heard of ESEE. Whatever the reasoning, it's a step backwards. Like the first proto-sapien deciding the open grass plains were too scary, and the deep, comforting forest was a safer place to be... way to de-evolve.

you obviously have not read the whole thread, and no one is forcing you to participate here.

exercising authority is not the same as a power trip.

Look, I hate to break it to you but not everything is a personal insult.

This sort of thin skinned "He called a bunch of posts crap, HOW DARE HE!" behavior is one of the most irksome things about moderator tasks. He wasn't even addressing you, and yet you managed to let it get under your skin. This childish attitude is not welcome here: you need to realize that the mods have a job to do, and part of their job is addressing with various problem posts, threads, and posters. If he calls someone's post crap, stuff, garbage, etc, and it's not yours... get over it. Pronto. Or beat feet elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to buy a membership, and really if you are going to be mortally wounded by moderators taking action, I'm not sure you are a great fit for our community anyhow.

You want to get along? Then do so, because as far as I can tell nobody even mentioned your name. Otherwise don't turn a molehill into a mountain.

just to make myself clear: i'm here because i'm interested in what users have to say about their experiences with knifes and related gear. i'm absolutely not interested in what a moderator, owner, manufacturer or anyone else with a commercial interest has to say (since it's mostly out of self-interest) and i couldn't be less insulted by anything like that. so it's not personal - just a matter of interest.
if some king of the hill attitude of said group of people interferes with that interest i stand up and speak my mind.
pretty basic democracy stuff by the way...

Helpful hint: this isn't a democracy. The moderators are in a position of authority. You can either deal with it, or move along. I'm not going to get into a protracted debate about it. If you don't care, why did you even chime in and whine?

My suggestion: don't be combative or unnecessarily irksome.

see the fact that you answer my post shows that you try to be respectful of other opinions. i'm glad you do. but i don't get why you or the other one need to invalidate different opinions with attributes like crap or whining.
do you think that impresses me (or anyone else)?

and by the way - yes, the internet is a democratic space: people decide - with a mouseclick. revenues up if they like, down if they don't. nothing more democratic than that.

don't get me wrong: i'm thankful for the work both of you choose to do here and i don't want to protract any unnecessary debate. i just think a forum like this - especially at given size and broadness - needs enough openmindedness and mutual respect to work.

thanks

Since when does a mod have a commercial interest.

I see logic is not a strong point with some folks.

The mods I know here are not on a power trip. They put a lot of time and effort into this place for one reason that many do not seem to be able to grasp.

They actually care about the knife community as a whole and want to nourish it.

The rest of some of these arguments is nothing but a joke an an excuse for trolls to toss their usual insults around. I feel sorry for them since they do not have the ability to see what they have stumbled into.

[jfk]"...Ask not what your forums can do for you...ask what you can do for your forums..."[/jfk]

Just think how much better this community might be if more folks thought along those lines. Just sayin'...

Hi Bob, why do you feel like you'd have to jump ship by joining their forum? Why can't you be a member of both? This is my favorite forum too but I'm on many others, including other knife forums, simply because this forum doesn't have dedicated sub forums for other knives I enjoy, like other forums do. For you to not join those and miss out on all the great knowledge on other forums doesn't make sense. I'm sure there are people on other forums that would appreciate the knowledge you could share with them over there too.
This is a great forum, but it's not the end all/ be all. I respect your opinion but why cheat yourself?

Never really thought of it like that. I've never been to another forum so you may be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back