Etchings, Engravings & Blade Stamps

After looking at a penknife that Luger1952 posted in the "Old Knives" thread I thought it might be fun to have a thread on blade etchings, engravings and stamps (not tang stamps, stamps on blades.) Old or new, something out of the ordinary, advertising, etc. Hopefully, I'm not duplicating a previous thread here.

obGlUVJ.jpg

bNjXLGP.jpg

This should be a fun thread, Mike, thanks for putting it up. Here is the original GEC etching for their stainless knives.
xgXfJwA.jpg

And here is another older GEC pair of etches on a Factory Test Production Run Tidioute.
3yhkJWE.jpg

Another old etch from Tidoute is this American Patriot eagle banner.
7KDmsoW.jpg

The Germans have always been big on etches, and this Fight'n Rooster has three colors and is about as busy as it gets.
gmuqxHU.jpg

This Collector knife from Boker has a different etch and tang stamp from past knives on each blade.
jb8ifWu.jpg

1mXMbqy.jpg

CHcRttm.jpg

Another German etch, a prototype Fight'n Rooster stockman.
sQ3H02N.jpg

I don't mind a quiet, subtle, etching or engraving on a knife blade but sometimes a maker just goes way overboard as this -

GEC #66 Calf Roper as shipped by GEC top picture and with the etch removed bottom picture. I like the plain, clean, blade much better.

NjFAjjX.jpg

Another example of blade etching is this Bulldog Stockman with an acid etch. Although there is a lot of etching, it is more subtle and fits the overall appearance of the knife.

gttg6OQ.jpg

Some great examples Jeff. I like the early GEC factory tested.
George65, nice knives! It's cool that you were able find the origin of one of them.
Ed, I agree, sometimes too much takes away from the blade.
boy&his dog: No luck on googling Greenlee? Interesting that the logo is also on the bolster.
Oldtymer: I like the etch, but I really like the shield!
Jamie, beautiful IXL.

Thanks for posting them.

A little hard to read but this IXL knife has "Virginian knife" on the blade.
RWZwZO7.jpg

NiErIoK.jpg

Rick T, allways good to have a Case XX. :thumbsup:
Charlie, I just wore out my "like" finger after all of your posts. That "Holyoke" is really nice as is the "Fisherman's Pride."
Jake, way to cue up the classics!

Back