Etchings, Engravings & Blade Stamps

What a pair... good to see 'em again, Ron! Nice etches and a lot of history in those knife handles!

What a pair... good to see 'em again, Ron! Nice etches and a lot of history in those knife handles!
Thanks Al! :) I really wish they had identified which ship or ships this deck wood was from. It was my understanding that it was some left over material from one of Percy Richardson's projects. :thumbsup:

Ron, are those Vipers carbon or stainless?
That’s a mystery question Jeff! ;) The front of the blade has the Great Eastern Cutlery Tang Stamp. The rear of the blade has the Titusville Iron Works tang stamp. ;) Let’s just say they are unique!
20336956090_12ebd95c6c_b_d.jpg

Ron, I believe the TIW wins out. Supposedly, all 440C knives are stamped with Cyclops Steel Works. They have also made GEC branded fixed blades with 1095 steel, so they're rare, but not unique.

Ron, I believe the TIW wins out. Supposedly, all 440C knives are stamped with Cyclops Steel Works. They have also made GEC branded fixed blades with 1095 steel, so they're rare, but not unique.

I remember our discussion of those 2 beautiful vipers ! Nice to see them again.
I have one of the Lone Star rope knives made with ( what I believe) the same wood.

I believe if you order 300 units you can get your name ink printed on the blade.
standard.jpg

The same for special events and awards.
standard.jpg

Something you don't see often is hot stamping in the scale.
standard.jpg

Modern methods include laser etching in scales. Bone.
standard.jpg

Sometimes you hear comments "It's over done".
standard.jpg

Many times in the Buck world its tied to a special issue contracted example. SMKWs. Here is both engraving and pad printing.
standard.jpg

But the top of heap in the Buck world is the Aurum etched models.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

300Bucks

Last edited:
@Campbellclanman Thank you for the great display Duncan. I chuckled at the 'bread knife' logos... just wouldn't know what to do with a long serrated knife otherwise. LOL

Waz, this knife is new to me. And very interesting as well. It appears to be a field scale of some sort, but to weigh what?

Cool thread. First time I've pulled these together:
Group photos
kVRIrPl.jpg

HUCZQYS.jpg

My newest knife as well
eGrmFoC.jpg

I felt fortunate to have found this on the Exchange
PRaR3qW.jpg

The delicate shade of etchs on these two was challenging to shoot with my so-so cell phone
IYPtEy1.jpg

DDslNxE.jpg

13FeLEp.jpg

SbQTxYk.jpg

One of two TC peach seed Barlows, the other a user without any etch left
byyxaIp.jpg

@Campbellclanman Thank you for the great display Duncan. I chuckled at the 'bread knife' logos... just wouldn't know what to do with a long serrated knife otherwise. LOL

Waz, this knife is new to me. And very interesting as well. It appears to be a field scale of some sort, but to weigh what
It's meant to weigh fish after you use the knocker to dispatch them.

Back