Ethan's been doin good deeds for us in secret!

Dude come on can you not plainly see the difference in quality between that sheath and the Hedgehog one?

If that $79 sheath is a benchmark then the Hedgehog sheath with the firesteel loop and the allen wrench attachment (both are included BTW and the hedgehog firesteel alone has gotta be worth $40 - $50 judging by what others sell custom handled firesteels for) is easily worth $269. Look at the pics and tell me you can't see the difference in materials and construction let alone the thought and engineering. This is the T1 sheath but the BK2 sheath is very similiar, just eliminate the pocket and put the firesteel in the middle where the pocket is, the allen wrench goes on the other side in a loop out of the way and unseen until needed.

It's like comparing a Ford Focus and a Mercedes.

Seriously look at the thickness of the leather, look at the finish, the stitching, the hardware.

The $79 sheath is not a bad sheath it's nicer than most of the sheaths that came with my custom knives. But compared to the Hedgehog it looks well.... shabby.

$269!!!:eek: how about this one for 79 bucks with firesteel loop, he will customize it too

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_store/item799-24133.html

Attachments

• H-AE-2.jpg
    H-AE-2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 33
  • H-AE-3.jpg
    H-AE-3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 25
  • H-AE-01-07-150-S.jpg
    H-AE-01-07-150-S.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 29
  • 799_24133_1267395204_11.jpg
    799_24133_1267395204_11.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 799_24133_1267395051_2.jpg
    799_24133_1267395051_2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 21
I'm not saying the $79 sheath is better quality...but it is $79 bucks. I did not say it was a benchmark I just Googled BK-2 sheath

I realize you are a customer of his and LOVE his products and the price he charges, but for most (as a lot of people stated above) it's a lot of $$$ for a sheath with a bunch of pockets hanging on it

As far as Engineering I would never use a sheath like the Hedgehog it's to bulky, Knife would be hard to insert at night or blind and the handles above the waist line if mounted on your belt which is a HUGE no no for anybody that rides a motocycle/atv, or climbs into a tree stand or any other activity that when you fall the handle digs into your kidney and snaps a rib..think about falling and the heavy blade pivots down(still in the sheath) and catches the dirt and the weight of your body pushes the handle into your ribs...I had a friend break a rib with a 18" machete when we where out clearing Moto trails he had a strawberry that looks just like the handle.

" But compared to the Hedgehog it looks well.... shabby." That's the problem...most people that buy a BK-2 don't care about looks, it was stamped out of a plate of steel, has plastic handles and is painted black for gods sake.

"It's like comparing a Ford Focus and a Mercedes." Or opening your rosewood with brass hinges garage door on your 8 million dollar mansion and seeing a Ford Focus inside

Now the Hedgehog on a custom hand made knife with a bone handle and a highly polished blade that is in a case or a museum would be great

Last edited:
Actually no, its a horizontally mounted sheath it doesn't ride above your waist. The knife is easily removed and inserted one handed. It can be mounted and removed from your belt without taking your belt off. It's actually in the most comfortable and out of the way place if riding on things (atvs ect.). The knife CANNOT pivot or fall out. Also the sheath can be mounted to any MOLLE attachments.

My tracker weighs more and is longer than a BK2 and its so comfortable in the horizontal carry position that I forget its there.

So it does not have the option to be warn on the belt in the normal position?

I have a knife on my IOTV mounted to the rear and horizontaly it's easy to remove but a pain to put back in the sheath with one hand

Actually no, its a horizontally mounted sheath it doesn't ride above your waist. The knife is easily removed and inserted one handed. It can be mounted and removed from your belt without taking your belt off. It's actually in the most comfortable and out of the way place if riding on things (atvs ect.). The knife CANNOT pivot or fall out. Also the sheath can be mounted to any MOLLE attachments.

My tracker weighs more and is longer than a BK2 and its so comfortable in the horizontal carry position that I forget its there.

i'm not a huge fan of horizontal sheaths, but that may be me. mostly it's having the handle stick out so much, that i cannot slip between things as is my way when in the woods (esp being off trail).

it would be interesting to find out how many hours it goes into making various sheaths, and compare the materials + hourly cost. often, there's far more labor than is apparent in some things, and the hours have to be made up one way or another. some people just vastly undersell their time. it's tough to undersell materials without some other factor (like video game console being sold as loss leader)

Bladite

I guess I don't see why people are complaining about the cost of the sheath. Granted I am poor as shit and I could never afford it but step back and think about.

He makes a high end product for those who want it and can afford it. No one is making anyone buy it and there is like 50 other places that you can get a cheap leather sheath made or a kydex one.

Do you complain about the cost of everything or just this?

I guess I don't see why people are complaining about the cost of the sheath. Granted I am poor as shit and I could never afford it but step back and think about.

He makes a high end product for those who want it and can afford it. No one is making anyone buy it and there is like 50 other places that you can get a cheap leather sheath made or a kydex one.

Do you complain about the cost of everything or just this?

Widerstand makes a good point about it being "a high end product for those who want it and can afford it." A craftsman should be paid for his time and skills, and not everyone can afford the product that he turns out.

I have to admit that it's a really nice looking, well made sheath, and if you want it, and can afford it, then go ahead and buy one.

I wouldn't buy a leather sheath because I prefer kydex (I'd trash the leather one in short order), but for shear beauty, that one's a beaut.

It's a moot point, anyway, because I simply can't afford something like that, nor can a lot of other folks. I live on a small ($642 per month) Social Security stipend, and buying one of those would mean that I couldn't eat for a month: not even a choice.

But if you are one of the people with that kind of disposable income, and you like it, then why not?

If you are right handed say all you do is slide the knife more towards the left and unless you are rail thin the handle will not stick out past your body see this video when he turns you can see it nots sticking out so actually it would be better for going thru the woods cuz it doesn't catch on anything. It's like carrying a gun in a small of the back holster. In Paul's BK2 video he did have it mounted so it stuck out more but it is up to you can mount it more forward or back either way it is easy to reach it no matter where you put it and after a few practice pulls easy to slide back in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxUv7wecEXc

I wish I had enough discretionary funds available to purchase one, but I don't, so I didn't. :D Oh well. I can say that it is a quality made sheath, with excellent materials (11oz leather for crying out loud), and a great warranty (although I question whether or not he'll be in business 25 years from now). I just think those who are complaining about the cost are simply the ones pissed off that they can't afford it. I hear ya fellas, I can't either. But we can't bag on the guy for making a living. As long as there are people willing to pay it...why not charge it?

But we can't bag on the guy for making a living. As long as there are people willing to pay it...why not charge it?

Pretty fair bet he is NOT getting rich off of these sheaths. They are built here, not overseas with $2/day labor. They are HIGH quality. Who would pay $300+ for a Del Fatti holster? Check fleaBay, tons of people. In my opinion less work in that than in the Hedgehog. There are those who love the BK-2 and think it is worth much more than the modest $60 you can pick one up for. Those are the folks to whom this sheath will appeal to, IMHO. I know one very well. Had a $50 case custom made for a $100 portable scanner back in 1974. $50 in 1974? Yeah.

Me? I have rethought it and am not going after the Hedgehog. I intend to modify my kydex lined cordura sheath to hold a firesteel in addition to the pocket knife I currently have mounted on it.

most people would not be disagreeable buying a high end sports car for 80% off the normal asking price (or more). most people don't have high end sports cars though. mmm.

Bladite

25 year warranties???? Should be LIFETIME.... The company want be around 25 years with $189 sheaths in their business plan.

They have been selling beautiful, rugged, and expensive sheaths for quite some time. I think he knows what he is doing ;)

He has lot of videos out about different wilderness skills stuff too so I think he is not in it to get rich quick but to he is one of the lucky ones making at living doing what he loves.

Back