1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Event Horizon. A 2016 release bladehq exclusive

Discussion in 'Reate Knives' started by RobotsWTF, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Arviee

Arviee

Jan 8, 2016
    Is the smokewash one really the "Dark Sun" version? Looks so different...

2. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Yes. It looks like BladeHQ is not using the "Dark Sun" moniker and instead calling it Event Horizon Smokewash. The other one is Event Horizon Two-Tone.

I like the Smokewash one better but for a 3.5" flipper it's too heavy for me at 6.38 ounces. They're lighter than my original District-9 models but I never carried those either since they're 7.65 ounces.

3. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    Personally, I like the weights, but it's heavily dependent on what pants you wear I imagine. I have the luxury of being able to wear jeans every day at work, so the weight is less of an issue than it probably is with dress pants or khakis. I barely notice the New Torrent is in my pocket. And to me it feels lighter than it's size and construction should allow.

4. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    THIS.

The knife looks pretty busy, and the hump on the back of the handle looks ugly if I may say.

5. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    They just went live on BladeHQ. I ordered the Smokewash.

edit: Yikes, after I ordered both models went back to out of stock? What did they sell out in minutes?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  6. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    I thought these were BladeHQ exclusives?!

7. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    Oops, fixed, I have been watching both sites lately.

8. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    Looks like my Blackwash is on the way from BladeHQ. According to the site they still have none.

9. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    It's here

The Event Horizon Dark Sun arrived. First blush, knee jerk reactions without much thought. My New Torrent "feels" of a higher quality in almost every way. I like the blade shape, but it didn't arrive very sharp. It flips AWESOME as expected. The lock is wonderful as expected. I like the weight and feel of the New Torrent better. So in general this will be a great "beater" knife that still looks and works great. My New Torrent is still my favorite EDC, but I would use the Event Horizon if I was going to break down a ton of cardboard at work or do a big wood project where some gunk might get on the knife. The Event Horizon actually may flip a little easier because the detent isn't quite as intense. I might try my first Youtube vid on the EH. Oh. and the EH is probably nicely pimpable. The pocket clip is shockingly good tension for a sculpted. This knife did not come with a replacement lock bar insert like the New Torrent did. Just the washers and some screws.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  10. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    It's weird that BHQ had them for about 5 minutes, and nothing since.

11. 2006Vette

2006Vette

Dec 26, 2012
    I don't know what happened either? I've been checking daily and nothing?

12. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    I sure love mine

13. mntbighker

mntbighker

Nov 28, 2015
    They have arrived again at BHQ

14. 2006Vette

2006Vette

Dec 26, 2012
    Finally snagged one of these in the two-tone finish.

Attached Files:

15. Knave

Knave

Dec 29, 1999
    I agree with both of you. It's too garish for my tastes.

16. JakeCLT

JakeCLT

Sep 2, 2015
    The Liong Mah designs made by Reate fall into the smaller more pocket friendly folder category.

17. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Yeah, I've got the Warrior 1 which is the smallest Liong Mah/Reate. I really want a 4-finger grip Horizon with a three inch blade! The Horizon E!