Ever get people on the street that flip because you have a knife?

Old story, old problem. Some guys carry their toys to blatantly and aggressively and some people love to complain about others and always will.
If you're not bothering anyone then of course you should be able to do what you want... but...
One answer is to carry a smaller slipjoint in some situations. Of course, you shouldn't have to. Of course it ain't right. But it's so.

Aside from the conflict avoidance, it is a pure joy to take out a small slipjoint and use it in... waiting rooms... lines at Target... etc.

Smaller, less threatening knife = more usage.
I normally have a locking folder and a stockman on me. Just a habit.

This is what happened the last time someone noticed I had a knife:

iu

Mid-west farm community here so most people are accustomed to small knives as tools. Grandad always said a gentleman should have a good knife. I never carry any fixed-blades though.

Nope. I had my zippo mistaken for a knife (while the zippo was in my hand no less) years ago. Lady called the cops on me, cops showed up and talked to me for about 10 minutes. We all came to the conclusion that the woman was extremely high strung or needed glasses, and everyone went about their day.

I'd never consider a fixed blade at work. And I don't even work with customers.

Most people have some kind of knife on them, but no one has a fixed blade. I don't consider it PC issue where I work, all guys in the trades, crapping in an outhouse at 10 degrees.

I might try a fixed knife, but would do it in the cooler weather where I am wearing a flannel. Not hiding but not sore thumb.

Old story, old problem. Some guys carry their toys to blatantly and aggressively and some people love to complain about others and always will.
If you're not bothering anyone then of course you should be able to do what you want... but...
One answer is to carry a smaller slipjoint in some situations. Of course, you shouldn't have to. Of course it ain't right. But it's so.

Aside from the conflict avoidance, it is a pure joy to take out a small slipjoint and use it in... waiting rooms... lines at Target... etc.

Smaller, less threatening knife = more usage.
I definitely carry both my EDC and "LO" ("letter opener") these days. I got the tip on this website. My little Buck toothpick knife or Case Small Stockman pairs well with my CS Counter Point XL or Large Luzon.

Nope. I had my zippo mistaken for a knife (while the zippo was in my hand no less) years ago. Lady called the cops on me, cops showed up and talked to me for about 10 minutes. We all came to the conclusion that the woman was extremely high strung or needed glasses, and everyone went about their day.
Whereabouts do you live, and what was there setting were LEOs would actually show up because a Karen called 911 for this? Also, what took 10 minutes? Did they run you?

Last edited:
The one thing that makes me want to cut a bitch is when someone asks for help cutting something, I get out a knife and do then they say omg what do you need such a big knife for. I tell them not to ask me for help again.
That's when I ask,
"Why do you need it and not have it?" Haven't gotten a good answer back yet.

Reactions: DMG
Whereabouts do you live, and what was there setting were LEOs would actually show up because a Karen called 911 for this? Also, what took 10 minutes? Did they run you?
This was about 12 years ago in rural Douglas County, Colorado (near Sedalia if you're familiar with the area). County sheriff had a patrol in the area. They came to check out the situation, asked if I would consent to a search. I let them as I didn't have a knife on me.

We discussed the situation, she had said she saw the "flash" off a knife as I approached her vehicle. I did approach her vehicle, thinking it was my girlfriend's car as they drove the same make and color. I had pulled out my zippo to light a cigarette as I approached the car, the car peeled out and left. I was 20 and didn't think much about her actions continued to wait for my girlfriend.

She showed up then the deputies showed up right after (about 10 minutes after the car left).

They told me why they were there, I told them what had happened, I let them do a pat down. They talked to my girlfriend asking if she thought I would do something like menacing people with a knife (she obviously said no). They ran me and I had nothing on my record except some traffic infractions.

They were calm and professional, I was calm and cooperative, we all agreed she saw the zippo, and that was the end of the interaction.

The interaction was probably 30ish minutes, so 40 minutes from when the car left to the end of the interaction with the deputies.

(Edited for punctuation and grammar).

Last edited:
Maybe off topic..........
I was at work and couldn't find a hammer in the tool room. I did find a hatchet........yeah it did raise a few eyebrows walking down the hall.

I was sharpening my 15" sheepsfoot machete on a ferry, while in uniform on the way to training (the kind of thing that would give some desk oriented officers a heart attack), and got the odd look, but had a Canadian Vietnam veteran come over to talk to me, because he carried a similar machete overseas and it brought back a lot of memories for him.

On the street, it really depends on what street for I'm going to be carrying (naughty or nice), but knives are still foremost a tool, and I'd have to be in pretty rough shape to resort to using one in self-defence if nobody else was using one first.

Quite a few years ago, while I was fueling my truck, I trimmed a fingernail with my Buck 317. During my manicure, a fellow approached me and invited me to his church. I closed my knife while we talked and he never paid it much mind, not the reaction I have grown to expect.

Back