1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Ever heard of GSM Outdoors? They just bought Cold steel.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Smiling, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Check Cold Steel adress on their webpage and then google that adress.

Apparently Lynn Thompson sold entire company together with intelectual property.

There were some rumors for quite a while, but now some things are more clear, and officcial statement should be out tommorrow.

All CS fans can hope it's not true, but those who said CS is the next Gerber... well if this is true...

mdrgn79 and DangerZone98 like this.
  2. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Lynn Thompson is one of the most inventive knife designers of the last several decades. I have never been disappointed with any of his knives. Let's hope the quality remains.

SanLuisObispo, 909Cut, DMG and 3 others like this.
  3. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    AntDog and jlauffer like this.
  4. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Waiting for confirmation/explanation, but if true, it's certainly disappointing (but par for the course for 2020).

duramax, Currawong, Alsharif and 9 others like this.
  5. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    It looks like it would fit their lineup.

If it is true, on the up side, GSM seems to have been around since 2000 so they are at least established. But then again it might explain some of the steel decisions I've seen you all discussing...

6. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    I thought the same thing. Purely speculation, but maybe that whole fiasco was because LT has been planning to jump ship for awhile now and simply doesn’t care.

mdrgn79, unwisefool and Smiling like this.
  7. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Whatever the case, there is no character in the knife world like Lynn Thompson. I would hate to see him go. But he's got that awesome ranch, and enough money to last him a few lifetimes, so maybe he thinks its time. But this is all speculation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Cold Steel drawer.

[​IMG]

8. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    *Reiterating the speculation part*

It might also be possible that they've had heavy operational influence behind the scenes. I've seen that with other buy-outs. The buyer is already invested without anyone knowing and they start changing the direction to set themselves up for their vision of success.

Smiling, Quiet and Lee D like this.
  9. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    LOL.

Mecha likes this.
  10. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    ...don't like their knives....could barely open the back-lock that I gave to my nephew.
    IF I can't open it, I can't use it to see if it's any good...and my 12-yr-old nephew? Forget it.

Uncle Timbo and Noremac258 like this.
  11. Wurger190

Wurger190 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Whut? That makes no sense... instead of returning it you gave it to your nephew?

scdub, Noremac258, DMG and 4 others like this.
  12. GSM has been passed around between various investment firms over the last few years. Huron Capital sold it to Sentinel Capital in 2018, and Sentinel sold it on to Gridiron Capital a few weeks ago. GSM has 30 different brands listed on their site, but they're all in the general shooting/hunting/outdoor industry. It's conceivable that this allows Lynn to cash out but still be involved with product development.

As far as what impact it'll have on CS moving forward, GSM has no real presence in the cutlery segment, other than some extremely limited product options for game dressing. Since GSM has some high-end brands in other areas (game cameras and ear-pro), it's very possible that they let CS continue on doing what it normally does.

tinfoil hat timmy and strategy9 like this.
  13. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Best-case scenario I guess

strategy9, cbach8tw, jbmonkey and 2 others like this.
  14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    CS has been dropping policy bombs recently that made me suspect something like a pending change of management control . :confused:

Even if this OP is not the real story , CS is already acting more like Gerber or SOG than the old CS . :(:thumbsdown:

2020 just keeps on giving . :rolleyes:

15. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I had that same problem, until I started using my hands instead of my feet. Voila!

Bigfattyt, 909Cut, DMG and 1 other person like this.
  16. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    And I’m afraid 2021 isn’t gonna be any better for many many months.

17. Hard to compare Gerber being acquired by a billion-dollar international conglomerate to CS being acquired by a niche holding company owned by a small investment company. Not sure what "policy bombs" you're referring to, but the industry has seen more than a few companies implement drastic changes to policies as necessitated by COVID restrictions and related economic issues, so they may not be related to turnover.

18. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    It sound like the end of Cold Steel. Their brand will now will now appear exclusively on cheap Chinese made garbage. Lets face it, if this were good news for collectors they would have been happy to tell us. Taylor will be buying the name for cheap in a year or two, as soon as GSM flips them.

It's a good play for Lynn Thompson. I guess he was ready to retire. He has been an industry leader for over 40 years and his production options have been narrowing since Camillus ended and Japan largely dropped out. I wish him well in his retirement.

n2s

Storm 8593, Zulus, Noremac258 and 5 others like this.
  19. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Alsharif and Smiling like this.
  20. elde66

elde66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Take a look @ gsmoutdoors.com. And scroll thru their incredible number of brands. Take a good look at the LAST brand name on the list. It’s not a “story” it’s a done deal.

strategy9, Eversion, kobold and 2 others like this.