1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Ever use a sporting/survivalist/defensive for culinary use?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SanLuisObispo, Jan 13, 2021.

1. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    Ever use a sporting/survivalist/defensive/any non-culinary knife (in a non-emergency situation) for culinary use? Particularly a new purchase, particularly when no one else is around?

I went to slice-up a BBQed tri-tip which had just finished resting on the board the other night, when my new Cold Steel XII Tanto came to mind. What the hell? I went and retrieved it. The tanto cut through the tri-tip like buttah. It did a fairly good job on the garlic bread as well...

Billy The Hungry likes this.
  2. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    I use my knives in the kitchen all the time. Becker BK-5 is my favorite. SOG S1 bowie works, but a little thick for kitchen use. Boker T.U.F. is a good all-around slicer. I never worry about who might see me, I just like using knives....

SanLuisObispo likes this.
  3. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  4. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    The Becker and SOG are beasts! They would do a number on BBQ!

5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Yes.

No.

No.

Pilsner and jbmonkey like this.
  6. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    ^ yep ditto to this

Pilsner likes this.
  7. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Of course, that's what a knife is supposed to do ! Preparing food with machetes, leukkus, parangs, daggers is fun ! Why skip it ?

8. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    725C627D-3E7C-403B-BD0C-F5D3EA12A2EE.jpeg Of course. It’s a good way to build a patina on a carbon steel blade.

9. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Do you work for Cold Steel or GSM?

10. CWL

CWL

Sep 15, 2002
    Not really. My kitchen knife collection is much better suited.

Use the right tool.

Rob47 likes this.
  11. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Yup. I try not to contact the ceramic plate, though.

SanLuisObispo and Lee D like this.
  12. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    A knife is a knife. People have been using many different sorts of knives for all manner of things not listed in the ad copy for a very long time.....centuries in fact. I don't see the point of this at all.....

13. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    Buck 124 and Spyderco Police

14. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Case Peanut.

Ace Rimmer, SanLuisObispo and Lee D like this.
  15. The Hawk

The Hawk

Mar 10, 2009
    Sure have. We were on vacation several years ago and the condo we rented had a pitiful set of kitchen knives. Of course I had a couple of fixed blade knives with me. We used them in the kitchen with great success the entire time we were there.

16. HJK

HJK Moderator Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    I actually did, when I was younger and stupid[er] I did try to get by without a proper kitchen knife. Bad idea. It's best to have the right tool for the job and even when going fairly minimalist life is much easier with something thinner and with a better profile for cooking and prep than something you use for woodcraft or hunting. If you can carry them, the more the merrier!

17. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    Looks great, particularly when pared with the USN fork! ;)

eveled likes this.
  18. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    Then practice some self control and simply skip over this topic.

19. SanLuisObispo

SanLuisObispo

Nov 14, 2020
    I know the feeling! Right after college when I moved into my first place I had a very basic set of "silverware." 6 each -- stainless forks, teaspoons and dull butter knives, on permanent loan from the USN.

One evening I had a dinner guest. A very high society woman. Everything was cool, except I had no steak knives. We used my pair of Old Timer Sharpfinger knives (remember those lil puppies?) that I had purchased at a K-Mart blue light special about a week earlier. The look on her face... At least they were new at the time...

The Hawk likes this.
  20. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    I don't live my life to please people who probably wouldn't like me if they knew me anyway. If someone doesn't like me using my personal knife for food prep or eating, that's their problem.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021