Ever use a sporting/survivalist/defensive for culinary use?

Ever use a sporting/survivalist/defensive/any non-culinary knife (in a non-emergency situation) for culinary use? Particularly a new purchase, particularly when no one else is around?

I went to slice-up a BBQed tri-tip which had just finished resting on the board the other night, when my new Cold Steel XII Tanto came to mind. What the hell? I went and retrieved it. The tanto cut through the tri-tip like buttah. It did a fairly good job on the garlic bread as well...

I use my knives in the kitchen all the time. Becker BK-5 is my favorite. SOG S1 bowie works, but a little thick for kitchen use. Boker T.U.F. is a good all-around slicer. I never worry about who might see me, I just like using knives....

I use my knives in the kitchen all the time. Becker BK-5 is my favorite. SOG S1 bowie works, but a little thick for kitchen use. Boker T.U.F. is a good all-around slicer. I never worry about who might see me, I just like using knives....
The Becker and SOG are beasts! They would do a number on BBQ!

Of course, that's what a knife is supposed to do ! Preparing food with machetes, leukkus, parangs, daggers is fun ! Why skip it ?

view

Of course. It’s a good way to build a patina on a carbon steel blade.

Last edited:
Not really. My kitchen knife collection is much better suited.

Use the right tool.

A knife is a knife. People have been using many different sorts of knives for all manner of things not listed in the ad copy for a very long time.....centuries in fact. I don't see the point of this at all.....

Sure have. We were on vacation several years ago and the condo we rented had a pitiful set of kitchen knives. Of course I had a couple of fixed blade knives with me. We used them in the kitchen with great success the entire time we were there.

I actually did, when I was younger and stupid[er] I did try to get by without a proper kitchen knife. Bad idea. It's best to have the right tool for the job and even when going fairly minimalist life is much easier with something thinner and with a better profile for cooking and prep than something you use for woodcraft or hunting. If you can carry them, the more the merrier!

A knife is a knife. People have been using many different sorts of knives for all manner of things not listed in the ad copy for a very long time.....centuries in fact. I don't see the point of this at all.....
Then practice some self control and simply skip over this topic.

Sure have. We were on vacation several years ago and the condo we rented had a pitiful set of kitchen knives. Of course I had a couple of fixed blade knives with me. We used them in the kitchen with great success the entire time we were there.
I know the feeling! Right after college when I moved into my first place I had a very basic set of "silverware." 6 each -- stainless forks, teaspoons and dull butter knives, on permanent loan from the USN.

One evening I had a dinner guest. A very high society woman. Everything was cool, except I had no steak knives. We used my pair of Old Timer Sharpfinger knives (remember those lil puppies?) that I had purchased at a K-Mart blue light special about a week earlier. The look on her face... At least they were new at the time...

I don't live my life to please people who probably wouldn't like me if they knew me anyway. If someone doesn't like me using my personal knife for food prep or eating, that's their problem.

Last edited:
Back