Everyone knows or has met someone famous, who did you meet or know?

Let's see.... I lived two houses down from Tanya Tucker when we were kids in Las Vegas. She was a self absorbed little witch even at 10 or 11 years old.

In the mid 80's my wife's mom was the nanny for Robin Williams' son for about a year. We got invited to a couple of picnics where I met both him and Billy Crystal, both of whom are a total riot, especially after a few drinks. My mom-in-law has said that he was almost always "ON" unless he was pissed off, and then it was best to be a scarce as possible because he had an awful temper.

I met Stephen Hawking three or four times while I was working at Sacramento Peak National Solar Observatory.

And I had about a two hour conversation with Jeff Dunham one afternoon on a cruise ship he was performing on. This must have been JUST before he hit it big, because it wasn't a year later that we saw him on a HBO or Showtime special.

My wife used to know the lady who owned "Jeremiah, the Bullfrog" of Three Dog Night Fame. Turns out that the band used to hang out and party at this gal's house. One day they were drinking wine and enjoying various substances in her back yard and there was a porcelain frog in the garden. The boys were having a good time and started singing about the frog, whose name they decided was Jeremiah. Which does kind of explain some of the odd lyrics in that song.

My wife used to know the lady who owned "Jeremiah, the Bullfrog" of Three Dog Night Fame. Turns out that the band used to hang out and party at this gal's house. One day they were drinking wine and enjoying various substances in her back yard and there was a porcelain frog in the garden. The boys were having a good time and started singing about the frog, whose name they decided was Jeremiah. Which does kind of explain some of the odd lyrics in that song.

That would explain the "and he always had-a mighty fine wine" part, amongst other things.

In 2000, I met Waylon Jennings in a small bar in Coolidge, Az. named the 21Club. It was one of the first bars that he had ever played a gig in. The owner still had a copy of the check she gave him for his gig. He was in pretty bad shape, walking with a cane and drinking diet coke. I think he was walking down memory lane while he still could. He and the owner sat at the bar and reminisced about the old days and I mostly just sat and soaked it in. Unfortunately he passed away not long after our meeting. He was a really nice, gracious guy. I had grown up listening to his music and the old bar still had some of his stuff in the jukebox. Everything in that old jukebox had been in it for 30++ years and was country gold IMO.

I had to read all 8 pages to make sure I didn't repeat my story like some here (cough cough knarfeng and cj65 cough cough);):D

My brushes are with Chicago locals.... Served food to former Il. Gov Dan Walker... he was drunk. Got my table taken from me at Rosebud cafe in Chicago by Jim Belushi and his three drunk friends. I wanted to kick his ass because I was hungry and had been waiting an hour and a half past my reservation time. Somebody comped my dinner though... Met and had a nice discussion with Joe Mantegna in the humidor at Jack Schwartz downtown. Literally ran into Ernie Banks. Bought a beer for and drank with Jimmy Dale Gilmore. Had Jim Schwantz (former Bear linebacker) bring in his dog to see me.

Over the years I have met quite a few famous (or semi-famous) people. A couple I've known quite well; others I met briefly.

Tom Osborne – legendary coach at Nebraska. Great guy, down to earth. I've met him several times.

Bob Devaney – legendary coach at Nebraska. Great guy with a wonderful character. Met him a couple of times.

Tom Rathman – fullback at Nebraska and SF 49ers. Knew him fairly well when he was in high school. Kind of cocky, but not a bad guy.

Randy Rassmussen – guard for the NY Jets (Super Bowl team). I knew his brother pretty well and met Randy a couple of times. A really nice guy.

Irving Fryar – wide receiver who played for several NFL teams. Flashy and passionate, but very nice.

Neil Smith – DT for the Chiefs. I met him through my brother, who frequently played basketball with Smith. Very nice guy.

Will Shields – guard for the Chiefs. I met him through my brother, who frequently played basketball with Shields. Very nice guy.

Art Donovan – DT with the Baltimore Colts. Met him in a deli near Baltimore. Very nice and colorful guy who loved telling stories.

Terry Bradshaw – QB Steelers. Rode on an elevator with him (Calgary, Canada). Just said “hello” to him because I figured he had to be tired of fans pestering him. He seemed pleasant though.

Scott Frost – QB at Nebraska, current offensive coordinator with Oregon Ducks. Very nice down to earth guy. Kind of quiet but determined.

Barry Switzer – football coach with OU and Dallas. Great guy, very friendly and fun to talk to.

Lee Meredith – “the doll” in numerous Miller Lite commercials. Back in the early 80's I worked for a beer distributor who picked up the Miller line of products. We brought in “the Doll” for a meet n greet with our customers and I had the honor of being her “body guard” for a couple of nights. She was a stunning beauty with a great sense of humor. She played a dumb blonde bombshell in most of the roles she had, but was actually quite intelligent and a joy to work with. In one photo shoot she was lying down across a table, wearing a very low cut dress that strained to hold her ample assets in. She looked up at me and said “Mike, let me know if I fall out of my dress.” I stammered a reply, saying I'd be sure to let her know. She didn't “fall out” but there wasn't much left to the imagination either.

John Amos – actor in Roots and Good Times (among other shows). At one time he was my neighbor (Tewksbury, NJ) and I'd see him walking his dog by my house. We conversed multiple times, but never anything about his acting career or fame. He was a super nice guy and I always enjoyed talking to him.

Jon Christensen – Congressman from Nebraska. I've known Jon my entire life; we went to school together from kindergarten on. He is married to a former Miss America. Jon is a great guy, very talented and very nice.

The following famous people I've been in close proximity to, but never actually met.

Gregory Hines – actor. Walked about 5 blocks right next to him (NYC). Never said a word to him. He was taller than I had thought he was.

Kim Basinger – She was walking next to Gregory Hines. I never said a word to her either. She was not nearly as attractive as I had thought she was.

Darryl Hanna – walked right by her in NYC. She nearly bumped into me. I didn't say a word to her. She wasn't nearly as attractive (in person) as I had figured her to be.

Alec Baldwin – saw him in NYC. Didn't say a word to him, as I wouldn't grace him with the privilege. A first-class prick from everything I've heard about him.

Although I didn't "technically" meet him it is such a cool story I still consider I did meet him. A few months before I was born my parents were at a little league game watching my older Brother play. My Mom was sitting on the grass trying to relax when a man who didn't see her tripped and landed on her stomach. It turns out that man was Rod Carew and he was there watching a family member play on the field next to the one my Brother was playing on. Luckily no harm was done to either of them nor me and they all got to hang out with him for a bit. A few years after I was born the story became even more interesting when I started showing promise playing baseball. My family joked that when he landed on my Mom's stomach he passed off some baseball greatness onto me.

Last edited:
I happen to know the monsters of schlock: Burnaby Q. Orbax and Sweet Pepper Klopeck. nice guys. multiple world records. also met Dicky Barret from the mighty mighty bosstones in a 7-11. he seemed pretty cool too.

My job brings me into contact with a few famous people

Sir Jackie Stewart - formula one driver
Mark Webber - formula one driver
A whole bunch of rally drivers, sainz, mcrae, kankunnen, auriol, burns, gronholm, atkinson, solberg etc
A whole bunch of V8 supercar drivers, brock, tander, winterbottom etc
Megan Gale
Renae Ayris (miss universe oz)
Jesinta campbell (former miss universe oz)

I cant think of any more, i did have a whole list at one stage

The first celebrity I saw in person was former heavyweight boxing champ Archie Moore when he visited our elementary school when I was in 1st grade, around 1969.

Walter Matthau during the early days of the Universal Studios tour in Burbank, around 1973.

Met voice artist Mel Blanc and got his autograph at the 1976 San Diego Comic-Con; also met Marvel Comics writer Steve Gerber on the same day. This was years before Comic-Con became the humongously big, star-studded event that it is today.

Jason Scheff, bass player and lead singer of Chicago since the mid-'80s, used to pick on me in junior high (mid-'70s) for a while. Strangely enough, one day he came up and apologized to me, and never picked on me again.

David Wells, former Major League Baseball pitcher, went to the same high school, and I used to see him here and there, but I didn't know him.

Attended a week-long kickboxing training camp taught by Bill "Superfoot" Wallace in 1982. A very good fighter and a funny guy.

When I lived in Taiwan during the '80s, I met some old-school kung fu movie actors:
Hsia Kuang-Li (alternate pronunciation, Ha Kwong-Li; kung fu actress).
Hilda Liu Hao-Yi (actress); I actually knew her and her mother for a couple years, as I trained under her teacher for a while.
Sze Ma-Lung (AKA "Shaking Eagle").
And some others...

In Hong Kong, met some actors:
Danny Lee (best known in the west for co-starring in John Woo's The Killer).
Chiu Chi-Ling (best known in the west for his role as The Tailor in Kung Fu Hustle).

A friend and I saw the actor Mako (Mako Iwamatsu) coming into a 7-11 store in a run down-looking neighborhood in L.A.

Saw Chuck Norris filming part of a movie not far from my home around 1994.

Martial artist Cynthia Rothrock at a convention.

Former kung fu movie actor and TKD instructor Tan Tao-Liang.

President Clinton passed by in his limo on a San Francisco street, 1997.

WWE diva Nikki Bella.

That's all I can think of for now. Many aren't as universally well-known as other people's lists, but they're just people, nothing awe-inspiring about it.

Jim

Last edited:
An old Army Chaplain buddy of mine was friends with MSG Benavidez and made sure we met and spent some time together. He died not long after.

ROY P. BENAVIDEZ
Master Sergeant
U.S. Army, 5th Special Forces Group, Detachment B-56
West of Loc Ninh on 2 May 1968
Medal of Honor Citation: Master Sergeant (then Staff Sergeant) Roy P. Benavidez United States Army, who distinguished himself by a series of daring and extremely valorous actions on 2 May 1968 while assigned to Detachment B56, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces, Republic of Vietnam. On the morning of 2 May 1968, a 12-man Special Forces Reconnaissance Team was inserted by helicopters in a dense jungle area west of Loc Ninh, Vietnam to gather intelligence information about confirmed large-scale enemy activity. This area was controlled and routinely patrolled by the North Vietnamese Army. After a short period of time on the ground, the team met heavy enemy resistance, and requested emergency extraction. Three helicopters attempted extraction, but were unable to land due to intense enemy small arms and anti-aircraft fire. Sergeant Benavidez was at the Forward Operating Base in Loc Ninh monitoring the operation by radio when these helicopters returned to off-load wounded crewmembers and to assess aircraft damage. Sergeant Benavidez voluntarily boarded a returning aircraft to assist in another extraction attempt. Realizing that all the team members were either dead or wounded and unable to move to the pickup zone, he directed the aircraft to a nearby clearing where he jumped from the hovering helicopter, and ran approximately 75 meters under withering small arms fire to the crippled team. Prior to reaching the team's position he was wounded in his right leg, face, and head. Despite these painful injuries, he took charge, repositioning the team members and directing their fire to facilitate the landing of an extraction aircraft, and the loading of wounded and dead team members. He then threw smoke canisters to direct the aircraft to the team's position. Despite his severe wounds and under intense enemy fire, he carried and dragged half of the wounded team members to the awaiting aircraft. He then provided protective fire by running alongside the aircraft as it moved to pick up the remaining team members. As the enemy's fire intensified, he hurried to recover the body and classified documents on the dead team leader. When he reached the leader's body, Sergeant Benavidez was severely wounded by small arms fire in the abdomen and grenade fragments in his back. At nearly the same moment, the aircraft pilot was mortally wounded, and his helicopter crashed. Although in extremely critical condition due to his multiple wounds, Sergeant Benavidez secured the classified documents and made his way back to the wreckage, where he aided the wounded out of the overturned aircraft, and gathered the stunned survivors into a defensive perimeter. Under increasing enemy automatic weapons and grenade fire, he moved around the perimeter distributing water and ammunition to his weary men, reinstilling in them a will to live and fight. Facing a buildup of enemy opposition with a beleaguered team, Sergeant Benavidez mustered his strength, began calling in tactical air strikes and directed the fire from supporting gunships to suppress the enemy's fire and so permit another extraction attempt. He was wounded again in his thigh by small arms fire while administering first aid to a wounded team member just before another extraction helicopter was able to land. His indomitable spirit kept him going as he began to ferry his comrades to the craft. On his second trip with the wounded, he was clubbed from additional wounds to his head and arms before killing his adversary. He then continued under devastating fire to carry the wounded to the helicopter. Upon reaching the aircraft, he spotted and killed two enemy soldiers who were rushing the craft from an angle that prevented the aircraft door gunner from firing upon them. With little strength remaining, he made one last trip to the perimeter to ensure that all classified material had been collected or destroyed, and to bring in the remaining wounded. Only then, in extremely serious condition from numerous wounds and loss of blood, did he allow himself to be pulled into the extraction aircraft. Sergeant Benavidez' gallant choice to join voluntarily his comrades who were in critical straits, to expose himself constantly to withering enemy fire, and his refusal to be stopped despite numerous severe wounds, saved the lives of at least eight men. His fearless personal leadership, tenacious devotion to duty, and extremely valorous actions in the face of overwhelming odds were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service, and reflect the utmost credit on him and the United States Army.

Mario Battali.

He behaves exactly like the way he dresses: a total jackass.

i met Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper during the filming of Easy Rider. The Robertson High School band in Las Vegas, New Mexico was in the movie as they rode through it.

Robert Heinlein (Dean of Science Fiction) 1979-80 San Diego California.
Arlo Guthrie (Musician) Chicago 1979.
Arnold Palmer -several times
Terry Bradshaw 1980
Amanda Peet (Actress) NY 2009
John McInroe (tennis) NY 2005
Lyle Lovett (Singer) Columbus OH 2000
Lucinda Williams (Singer) somewhere in Louisiana 2003
Hank Aaron (Home Run King) Pittsburgh PA 1998
Joe DiMaggio (Baseball/Marylyn Monroe) Ligonier PA 1975
Hank Williams Jr. Crossville TN 2004. Did a shot of Jim Beam with him at a wedding.
David Bowie 2006 Meadville PA
Gretta VanSustern Washington DC 2007

Growing up: Bill Daily (I Dream of Jeannie, Newhart, etc.) was my best friend's dad. We used to watch Jeannie with his dad every week, back when it aired on prime time. Also: Bob Denver (Gilligan's Island) & Mary Anne… Clarence Kelley, former FBI Director, in his office after a VIP tour in DC. Played bartender at home parties, growing up in a TV news family, so mixed drinks at our home for Dan Rather, Walter Cronkite, most all of the "old" names in news…back when there were 3 networks and there were actually news "standards".

Later on in life…lot's of actors..mostly as my buddies all work(ed) in the LA film industry. Will Smith (a gentleman and very tall!) on the set of Wild Wild West, Dustin Hoffman (bit of a bugger) on the set of Outbreak, Michael Douglas and Rob Reiner (both polite) on the set of American President, Harrison Ford (shares my passion for flying), and Gary Oldman on the set of Air Force One.

Back