Everyone's latest acquisitions!

I added another semi-custom Jesse Hemphill knife to the collection. The High Falls II has a 4.25" trailing point blade made from A2 steel and the handle is black canvas Micarta. The longer handle on the version II is much appreciated by those of us with larger mitts.

53618393094_d24ef214fe_b.jpg

YOWZA!!!! SEXY BABIES!!!!!

What's the numbers on those??? Please🙏.
They're customs by Matt Martin of Vehement Knives. Not a standard model, he just sort of makes them now and again. The tiger stripe one with blasted OD micarta is #7, it has a tapered tang and thick black liners with hollow steel pins. The blackwashed one with the serrated back edge and polished green/black micarta is #6, it also has black liners and a tapered tang with hollow brass pins. They're 8-1/4" overall with about 3-1/8" cutting edges.

The Cold Steel 5 Max landed today. What can I say? It exceeded, all expectations for a warblade. Here are a few cursory snaps:
V8KkmYmh.jpg

v3ScYtvh.jpg

OgdTPwUh.jpg

CjInprvh.jpg

Here's a few outdoor pics:

Xo6ELPUh.jpg

6oCmzX9h.jpg

z7QzLc0h.jpg

tGa9Edwh.jpg

For an XL folder, this knife isn't as heavy as one would think, and is surprisingly nimble. Maybe, because I'm used to carrying over-sized folders. Every inch of this knife exudes quality. If you need a survival/woods blade it would excel. Also, in a martial-role, if called upon to be a zombie-stopper.

The Cold Steel 5 Max landed today. What can I say? It exceeded, all expectations for a warblade. Here are a few cursory snaps:
V8KkmYmh.jpg

v3ScYtvh.jpg

OgdTPwUh.jpg

CjInprvh.jpg

Here's a few outdoor pics:

Xo6ELPUh.jpg

6oCmzX9h.jpg

z7QzLc0h.jpg

tGa9Edwh.jpg

For an XL folder, this knife isn't as heavy as one would think, and is surprisingly nimble. Maybe, because I'm used to carrying over-sized folders. Every inch of this knife exudes quality. If you need a survival/woods blade it would excel. Also, in a martial-role, if called upon to be a zombie-stopper.
Not gonna lie, I’m intrigued. I have no actual need, but…

What do you think of it? I've been wanting one of those for a couple years.
On the one hand, the thumb hole cutout is pretty obviously just straight up incorrectly done. It isn't the right shape, the right size, OR the right level of chamfering to make any sense at all. Probably the worst attempt at a cutout like this I've ever seen in a production knife. I almost wonder if it is intentional to make it okay to open only with two hands or very slow thumb rolls. Kind of surprised because Hogue is usually quite good at ergonomics and hand / digit features like this.

On the other hand, the handle may be the best handle I've ever felt on a folding knife. Absolutely perfect chamfering, angles, size, even the feel of the anodization is basically perfect. Almost feels like a perfected version of the Manix 2 concept in hand. Even the pocket clip is perfectly shaped and size to disappear completely (while still being a really useful design for actually grabbing the knife out of your pocket).

Also, I really, really like the blade shape. Nice and tall, excellent point placement, super slicey. One of Hogue's best blade designs I think.

If you are the kind of person who fidgets with their knife a lot, and / or values thumb deployment a lot, maybe wait until they redesign this one (which I am hoping happens this year). But if you are fine with just deploying the blade with the crossbar lock and don't really care about the deployment too much (which is mostly where I fall), it's one of the most premium feeling knives I've felt in a long time, with an absolutely wonderful blade in practice.

All they need to do is redesign this thumb hole and fix the deployment, and change the blade steel from S30V to MagnaCut, and I think they'll have maybe the best folder on the market. Until then, I still really like it, but I know some folks will definitely be frustrated by this deployment design flaw.

Back