Everyone's latest acquisitions!

h09QPyp.jpg

Buck Mini Spitfire

wanted to try a 21 with micarta before the split inlays are hard to get. I think the 31 inlay will be nice also but the split inlay has always been apealing as it it differant from anything else on the market. Also my first insingo blade. I can easily see why everyone raves about this combination.

18E3BD3A-C307-4360-BA7E-09BD0825F710.jpeg

It came, and I'm a bit underwhelmed.

3KqbP8Y.jpg

y7F8KVk.jpg

yXHeBV1.jpg
Z2LDWqP.jpg
f9Wen6S.jpg

Maybe I'm spoiled by the Twist Tighe and Exploit.

The action has a gritty feel and sound. The "break" is in the middle of the push, and there is very little tension build up, almost like a push button vs a slide. Blade play is about the same as the Hogue. It is not as sharp as either, more along the lines of what you would expect from a mass produced model.

I like the color and blade finish, and the action is better than the Microtech models I've handled, and less play.

There aren't many alternatives in this size, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I don't care for glass breakers in general, and really don't like the ones on Microtech.

I'm gonna give it the weekend to decide. I'll probably end up returning it and buying a new manual, maybe a Spyderco, not sure. It's gotta be red. Decisions, decisions. Maybe Hogue or BT&F will come out with something in this size soon.

I could use some input from those that own Manticore models about if they smooth out, or what to expect.

Thanks.

Edit: I've just realized that the handle is the same length as the Exploit. So, sadly, it will be going back. I really wanted something in-between. I may buckle down and go a little larger instead, maybe shell out for the large Twist Tighe in red. Or maybe even a custom. Who knows.

Last edited:
After much hemming and hawing, and a nice email reply from the owner of the shop, who handled this one personally, I've realized that, once again, my perceptions and expectations skewed my opinion.

So basically, the action of each of my OTF's are very different from the other, I guess I just wasn't expecting that.

The Hogue has a long, light take up with a medium, but crisp break.

The Tighe has much less take up, with a strong, crisp break.

The Manticore has almost no slack, and no break. Just short, continuously increasing tension, and all of a sudden it's open. Very stiff, very short action.

The Manticore is different, but that does not make it bad. It's definitely growing on me, it feels good ergonomically (for an OTF), the slight jimping helps. Besides adjusting to the action, my only real gripe is the handle to blade ratio. However, despite being the same length as the Hogue, the weight, width, and height are less. We shall see.

I'm going to the range today. For the future, I'm thinking of creating a "sheeple" image and creating targets from it.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Spyderco Siren got lucky and found one in stock. Ordered last night and the dealer already shipped this morning :thumbsup:
Think I will be in Knife Joy Heaven ;)
This knife seems like it will be a different flavor from any other knife I’ve owned so looking forward to adding it to my EDC and collection.
nOZWRXi.jpg

HvXzgzn.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about J.E. Made knives. Quality, fit and finish etc. I saw a Swayback Titanium Slipjoint i like the look of. Thought it might make a nice birthday present for myself later. But its quite expensive for me so i have to make sure its the right choice.

Back