Excellent custom knife makers missing at Bladeforums

I have seen quite a number of names of custom knife makers who are mentioned frequently in this forum.

There are also a number who actively participate in the discussions, contributing rather generously with their knowledge and experience.

However, I think there are also a large number of knife makers who are NOT roaming or browsing around here.

Who are these knife makers who are so busy making and selling knives that they have no time for chit-chat like the rest of us folks.

I for one would like to know the names and background of these blade masters.

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

Believe it or not, MOST knife makers and collectors are not participants on BFC. It's easy to start thinking that the communities we belong to online encompass the entire world of our hobby, but when you go to a knife show, you realize that most of the people there are totally unaware of places like BladeForums.

Sad, but true!

Geez Golok, how much time do you have?

I would guess that far less than 1% of knifemakers Ever read these forums, let alone take the time to respond to something and post.

Lots of knifemakers do not use computers, or do not have internet access, or never heard of an 'internet forum', or do not need the additional advertising exposure, or find little here of interest or value and will not 'waste' time here, or perhaps they've had bad experiences on the internet before.

On the other hand, more and more knifemakers are discovering the value of having a web site, or getting email, or selling knives through the internet dealers, or even participating at BFC . Plenty more are happier to merely lurk. Several I know say they have absolutely no time for such activities, their time being completely absorbed with their business. They see reading and posting stuff on BFC as a waste of time, or even possibly dangerous.

There are several rather famous all star makers who prefer to lurk rather than post. If you are lucky, you may get an email from one of them someday.
wink.gif

Paracelsus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by golok:

Who are these knife makers who are so busy making and selling knives that they have no time for chit-chat like the rest of us folks.

I for one would like to know the names and background of these blade masters.

</font>

There's just no way of knowing is there? You don't know who is lurking, who maybe posting under an alias or who could care less about the Internet or BFC?

What is of more concern to me is that I don't see a lot of the makers posting here that I used to. It seems the bigger the Forums get the lower the number of quality posts I find. Less conversation and more outright advertising. There are some makers here that the only time they post here is to advertise a new knife that they made. I enjoy seeing pics of knives as much as the next guy, but they sure don't add anything to the discussion.

I'm a die hard BFC fan, but even I go to some of the other Forums dedicated more to just custom knives. These other sited don't get the traffic BFC does, but the quality of the posts seems higher. Maybe that's just the result of growth.

If you think I'm wrong just go back to some of the old posts and Archives and then tell me what you think?

------------------
"Will work 4 Knives!"
My PhotoPoint Site

What Phil Said.

I agree with PhilL. There are quite a few big names that I personally know that lurk here preferring not to get involved either because they are too busy or because they want to avoid the controversies or attitudes that pop up here so much lately. I occassionally get an email from one or two of them commenting on some subject or other but for the most part, they are too busy. I also agree that I find it distasteful and boring that there are so many outright advertisements on the custom forum, it's at the point when I see posts by certain makers I don't even open them anymore.
Para is also right that there are many more knife folk that don't know about this place than do. You'd be surprised at how many don't even know or care about internet forums. Whether it's right or wrong, as I posted in the thread about a forum fee, it hasn't been all good that BF has gotten so big. Sure was a lot friendlier and homier when we only had like 4-5,000 members.
Just my .02,
Dave

Phil and lifter, you got it exactly right.

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

As far as the outright advertisements. I agree with you. I have tried personal emails, forum appeals. I also find it odd that moderators of other forums (not associated with BFC) have no qualms at all in continueing to use this forum as an advetising medium when I doubt that they would appreciate it going on in there house so to speak.

I am open to suggestions on how to control this. I know that I control it personally by not doing direct business with these folks who abuse the forums.

There are several that come to mind that are in the very "elite" of knifemakers that don't post (or maybe even lurk for that matter).

I know there are several damn good makers that do post though.

I get a little confused by guys saying that makers "advertise to much here" because it seems that since everyone is interested in knives here...you would like to see knives!!!
biggrin.gif

There are quite a few guys that haven't been posting lately and it's too bad as their info was greatly appreciated.

And as was said already, most other makers I know simply don't take the time to look for forums. It's not a matter of them being too good or too busy, just never thought of it.

Nick

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NickWheeler:
There are several that come to mind that are in the very "elite" of knifemakers that don't post (or maybe even lurk for that matter).

I know there are several damn good makers that do post though.

I get a little confused by guys saying that makers "advertise to much here" because it seems that since everyone is interested in knives here...you would like to see knives!!!
biggrin.gif

There are quite a few guys that haven't been posting lately and it's too bad as their info was greatly appreciated.

And as was said already, most other makers I know simply don't take the time to look for forums. It's not a matter of them being too good or too busy, just never thought of it.

Nick
</font>

Nick:
Since I stopped going to shows other than the blade and guild shows and stopped having much of anything to do with the Cutting Edge®, I have not been able to keep up with who the new makers are. You can see that I do not do too much posting. Would you tell me who your think are the top makers who do use the internet and those who do not?
It would be helpful to me, and maybe to them.
thanks very much,

A. G.

I've been watching this phenomenon as it applies to computer conferencing in general even before there was an Internet. As populations grow, the ratio of noise to high-quality posts goes up. Eventually people leave, and eventually enough people leave that some of the early people may start coming back, but usually they have already found some other place to go that doesn't grow so quickly.

In theory, the ability to divide the forum into many sub-groups and then sub-sub-groups is supposed to help with this problem. You have a place like "general knife discussion" where anything goes so long as it is minimally knife related, and then you have more specific forums that will draw much smaller numbers of people hopefully keeping the discussion quality high among those who are really interested in the narrower topic.

Since the whole of BFC is a resource for buyers and sellers, I don't see how you can say that makers shouldn't come here and post pics. of new knives. Sure it would be great if those makers engaged in discussion also, but in the end, and for them, this has to be a place where their work can be exposed in an effort to expand their market. Otherwise, what would motivate them to come here at all?

I run a "throwing knife" mailing list (actually its about all thrown weapons, but knife discussion predominates). It gets much more traffic than the BFC knife throwing forum because its been around for 6+ years now and it acquired a reputation for being the place to discuss throwing issues before long before BFC came along. I encourage people to "advertise" in the sense that they introduce themselves and give us pointers to what they produce, talk about their products, etc. The only thing I discourage in that regard is periodic advertising (i.e., someone sending the same message to the list every week or month) messages that have no new content.

Finally, those makers who choose not to participate are cutting themselves off from potential new customers. If you want to encourage makers to participate here, then buy the knives of those who do more than those of them who don't. It takes a while, but if makers who don't participate discover that those who do have increased their business 10% or 20%, then they too will come eventually. Of course there are those knife makers who have all the business they need and don't want an increased rate of orders. Nothing wrong with that either. Groups like this have no power to bring makers in that group into the fold. We don't have leverage on everybody, and that too is probably a good thing in its own way...

A.G., I'd like to respond to your question too... There are many many knife makers (and I'm including also representatives of these makers who often are the participants here like Anne Reeve) here who I can not name off the top of my head, but of those who I can name include Bob Dozier, Chris Reeve, Newt Livesay, Ross Aki (now out of business alas), and George Tichbourne. Thanks in great measure to their presence here and what others have said about them, also here on BFC, each one of the above makers has gotten at least one order from me.

[This message has been edited by matthew rapaport (edited 05-11-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PhilL:
What is of more concern to me is that I don't see a lot of the makers posting here that I used to. It seems the bigger the Forums get the lower the number of quality posts I find. Less conversation and more outright advertising. There are some makers here that the only time they post here is to advertise a new knife that they made. I enjoy seeing pics of knives as much as the next guy, but they sure don't add anything to the discussion.

I'm a die hard BFC fan, but even I go to some of the other Forums dedicated more to just custom knives. These other sited don't get the traffic BFC does, but the quality of the posts seems higher. Maybe that's just the result of growth.

If you think I'm wrong just go back to some of the old posts and Archives and then tell me what you think?
</font>

Bingo! There are a lot of well respected "original" members who rarely post here anymore... Sad.

------------------
Kelly
My Custom Knife Collection

Member NCCKG, SCAK, and AKTI

Deo Vindice

Face it knifemakers are modern hermits, all they think about is working away in their shops with nobody to bother them. Most of them wouldn't come out of the shop to eat if the wife didn't call them.

Ever wonder why so many of them have full beards, can't bother to take the time away from ginding to shave.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

Very good George... Not everybody has fun with this stuff, but those who do should find it beneficial to their business in the long run or they won't keep coming back.

Now get back to knife making George! My latest Dozier arrived yesterday, so you're next!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by matthew rapaport:

Since the whole of BFC is a resource for buyers and sellers, I don't see how you can say that makers shouldn't come here and post pics. of new knives.
</font>

I think Gus was referring specifically to this sub-area of BFC, which is supposed to be a non-commercial discussion area. Makers with knives to sell (Not just display a new or special model, but SELL) are referred to the "For Sale-Makers" sub-area.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A. G. Russell:
Would you tell me who your think are the top makers who do use the internet and those who do not?
It would be helpful to me, and maybe to them.
thanks very much,
A. G.
</font>

A.G. this is as good a place as any to start looking at some of the makers that are not only aware of the Internet but are taking an active part in it. This list is by no way complete one of the guys on Chat has 300 websites saved of just US makers. My guess is that maybe 10% of the custom knife makers have a Web presence.

http://www.bladeforums.com/links/html/gp9.html

Sorry my post came across as strong as it did. The last thing I want to do is discourage someone from posting their work here and telling folks about it. I think it is a good thing for a persons and their work to obtain exposure here and to have some fun.

Where the line is crossed is when the only purpose of the post is to sell the knife and the only pics that are posted are knives that are for sale. (usually at the same time as in the for sale area or even openly here). We have had collectors and purveyors do the same thing more often. Geez the last thing I want to do is put a damper on people getting to buy and sell knives. I do it all the time and enjoy it. I have close friends that make livings by it, but this place begins to look like a garage sale when we start putting advertisement or marketing copy in a discussion forum.

Maybe it is because I seldom see that type of selling style at a knife show.

I used to post on here a lot, and frankly the atmosphere got pretty toxic at times. Almost anything you say is obviously subject to friendly disagreement, but the flaming that was a regular part of the dialog on BF got to be just too much of a burden. There was a period there where the attacks on custom makers were a daily exercise. Rob, Darryl, Tom, myself and a lot of others got ambushed at times.

Maybe that's why you see just a small fraction of the custom knifemaking community posting on here on a regular basis. I still get weary of hearing about knifemaker "hype", or how this or that knifemaker screwed another customer, or the fairly prevalent attitude that knifemakers in general are somehow trying to sneak inferior products past and innocent and unsuspecting public.

I admit it has improved some lately, but if you want to talk to knifemakers, I think you're going to have to treat them like the friendly, honest, and conscientious craftsmen they are. With the same respect you expect yourself.

My 2-cents.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

Back