Excellent custom knife makers missing at Bladeforums

I agree with the others on Jay's work.
Marvellous knives. Some of them are astoundingly beautiful.

Rarely do I come across such fine pieces.

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

Jay:

I for one would love to learn more about how you create your knives!
smile.gif

------------------
Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

www.andersoncustomknives.com

Gees, I'm blushing guys.

I started out probably like you all did, fascinated with the secret of steel. Imagine a material, part mineral, part organic that can be made HUNDREDS of times harder or softer than the original piece! It's a dream... and we're very much in the age of steel.

We can all remember the first knife we sold, our first grinder, the first knife or art show that we made money, and those dedicated patrons that push us to do more, better, shattering old paradigms and forcing us to grow.

We have one of the best vocations in the world.

And I'm proud to share with you all.

Jay

------------------
Read, Study, Learn, Grow
-DO-
Jay
www.gilanet.com/JayFisher/index.htm

When I first joined the forums, I didn't own custom knife. I have alwys been fascinated with knives ad lved owning and playing with them. When I found this forum (ad the BFC chat which is really fun and more of you guys should drop by) I got to meet a few of these cstom makers. Many of them I would have never heard of if not or these foums. Now, I buy only custom knives, and love working with the makers. Most of the makers I met have been wonderful about answering questions and being friendly, even if they know you ae just curious and don't hve the money for a imidiate purchase. However, for what ever reasons, I have had makers never return several of my e-mails when I was curious about a product and had the cash in pocket to buy rigt then. That is why I love the makers I have met on this foum. They know the customer is the way you make a living. And they bend over backwards to make you happy. All of the makers I have bought knives from and met on these forums have been wonderful to work. My only regret is I don't have the money to work with more of them.

"Most of the makers I met have been wonderful about answering questions and being friendly, even if they know you are just curious and don't have the money for a immidiate purchase."

Thank you for pointing that out, Jeremy!
smile.gif

Look at the various bladesmithing forums and tutorials on how to make knives. Do you really think the folks who provide this information would be that helpful to thier "competition" if all they wanted was to sell their own knives?

I visit here to see what types of knives other makers are creating and read why people like the custom knives they own. It's the same reason I subscribe to various knife publications and enjoy attending shows (even if I'm not selling knives there.)

The point I'm trying to convey is that lots of makers are "enthusiasts", too. And, the realm of custom knives isn't just about self-centered folks who think everything revolves around the "almighty buck!"

It would probably be a lot simpler for someone who only wants the cash to post their wares on the "For Sale" forums.
wink.gif

------------------
Tom Anderson
Hand Crafted Knives

www.andersoncustomknives.com

[This message has been edited by Tom Anderson (edited 05-19-2001).]

Personally I also consider the top knifemakers as celebrities much as someone who is into Nascar considers the top drivers as celebrities. I consider myself fortunate to be able to call men like David Broadwell,Kit Carson,Moe and Curly Jones(Barry and Phillip),Darrell Ralph,Tim(fartman)Herman,Bob Terzuola,Ed Fowler,my friends. There are more(please don't get your feelings hurt if I left you out), but you get the point.
At the same time we have seen over the last 3 years a few makers have come on BF and made total asses of themselves. Arrogant, self promoting to the point of nausea, didn't want to know anyone who wasn't sending them money, etc. So it can go both ways. Admittedly, these few were not of the elite class and did not last long here.
When your work is good it's not neccessary to keep tooting your own horn, folks here aren't stupid. Example: The Jones Bros. work has been the subject of at least 2 full length magazine articles, they've been featured in probably a half dozen of the stories in the Knives Annuals books even winning a writer's competition for his holy grail knife in one, yet you will never hear them tooting their own horn. They are as humble and respectful as can be, yet when it comes to tactical knives, they are first class.
Tom Anderson also makes a valid point. Before dragging some maker through the mud, try to settle problems in private first.
Just my .02/

Back