Exotic Inlay Materials

Got any stingray, or copperhead?
Got stingray in various colors with no "eye spot" and a few black with the eye. :) No copperhead yet, but I've got a few buddies on the hunt, I hope to get a few in before the spring ends.

love that beaver skin
Me too! It just looks so classy. I hope it stays reasonable in price, I want to work with more.

Do you still have this one? Why, because I like the dinosaur look of it and does not look like a run of the mill typical alligator skin.

biggator.jpg

That piece in particular is cupped so not of good use for sheath work, but I know I still have some pieces of the same hide, I do have to dig out my boxes so I'll see what I have.

Looks like most of my pictures have not survived the Photobucket rip off. I hope to get them pulled from there and established on my website for safer keeping.

Reason why I asked is because I grew up loving Dinosaurs and that struck me as the closest I would ever have to having Dinosaurs for a sheath. If you think that particular piece is not a good one, I'll go by your judgement but I am hoping that it wont be the end of it, that there are other similar options.

Also, I don't know if you heard of a game called Fallout? Like Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4. I absolutely ADORE those old world themes in that game and would like to figure out a way to bring it over to the sheath with Dinosaur skins.

Well, let me know!

Got that box out and still do have what I think might work! But I need to do some measurements to make sure. In the meantime I went ahead and got out all those boxes and going through them to see what is viable.
When I get it all hashed out in this post I'll move it to the original post for the update.

Ray Skin: what I have on hand is all pieced out, in other words none of them have the "eye" now, but the savings are real if you dont mind not having that eye. I have Black, Burgundy, Yellow, Green (olive drab), orange and black tiger stripe, and a really nice gray sanded (this means the beads were sanded down to flat, it has a unique look) I know I have more around here, and always have access to more!

Snake: I have a large inventory of Whip Snake, a fairly common snake when I got these skins, not so sure now. I have several different colors on hand, and white that can be dyed any color of dye that I have on hand, and quite a few that I can order in, so think away! I also have python, some small, one rather large specimen that is expensive but well worth it. These are not the generic cheapies you see at the leather store on sale. the patterns are very nice. Karung: a tropical snake with very unique scales, they look like little beads, I have a few colors on hand, I will get them cataloged. This skin I fear I cannot get much more of as they look endangered and protected now. I feel fortunate to have gotten a few. Anaconda, i have one skin, and a few antique pieces, both I haven't seen in a good while, not cheap but rather unique looking snake skin. I do have some pieces of rattler, but its getting hard to find good quality skins that have not been "tanned" in alcohol and glycerine. This makes them extremely difficult to work with on sheaths. I'm always on the search for standard tanned skins.

Dinner time, I will come back and finish this off soon!!!!

I am very much looking forward to seeing what you have left of those "Dinosaur" skins!

Sorry I wandered off there, got distracted. That box is coming up, I'll dig deep and see what I have left that will work on that knife. :)

Back