Eyyyyyy--I designed this axe!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by FortyTwoBlades, Nov 12, 2020.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    The point of balance of the head is 1/4" inside the front of the eye, for reference. With the 22" handle in it, the center of gravity is right at the red dot, so you can balance it on your fingertip. :D

upload_2020-11-21_17-1-27.png

E.D.C. likes this.
  2. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    for lack of better term, I’m going to refer to that high ridge as a “rib”, though I’m sure you’ve called it by it’s proper name at some point. It looks to me like you placed that rib in such a way as to account for the swing. Intentional? Or does it happen to approximately divide the bit length?

Cool balance point- calculated via software? Or determined experimentally?

3. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    It was designed both to coincide with the swing and the centerline of the bit. The balance point was established by experience-guided estimation, but would have been tweaked in CAD modeling by the engineering team if it had proven necessary. However, my estimation proved to be spot-on and no correctional work was needed vs. the original sketches to get the point of balance where it needed to be. I was pretty pleased when that happened lol

Trailsawyer, EngrSorenson and E.D.C. like this.
  4. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Hah! As an engineer I appreciate when the “back of the envelope” solution proves to be sufficient. Sometimes a little experience and intuition get the job done. Very cool to learn about these little details of the design process, thanks for sharing them!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  5. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    I had asked them where the model indicated the center of gravity to be, and supplied some notes to them about what to scale up or down and in what ratio as needed and what specifications to hold as fixed if needing to massage the specs to move it where it needed to go, and after they received the notes they emailed me back like "nah, it's actually already good." :D

EngrSorenson likes this.
  6. tommytman

tommytman

Aug 12, 2019
    This is really a nice idea and nice execution.
    How deep does the edge go back before the 'phantom bevel' starts? How much life time of sharpening will there be before the edge meets the dip in the phantom bevel?

7. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    They are not phantom bevels, but true bevels that converge like a pyramid with two of the opposing corners pushed nearer one another. As such, you will never sharpen back into a thinner portion then the edge is, much like with a conventional axe. The bevels thicken as you approach the eye just at a slower rate than the raised central ridge. :)

EngrSorenson likes this.
  8. tommytman

tommytman

Aug 12, 2019
    Then it's going to be really nice. Any chance for a close up picture of the head to see the detail?
    Thanks

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  9. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    I'm away from the office at the moment but if there are any particular shots or details you want to see, just let me know and I can try to snap some tomorrow or the day after.