FAQ's - STRIPPED SCREWS - Good tools can save you much misery!! :)

Well, there was that one time with my Blur.

Man my experience was HORRIBLE. It was on my 560. I cleaned the screws really well with acetone and assembled with loctite. I used a little too much because when i had to tear it down again i absolutely destroyed 4 husky drivers, and ended up having to drill them out. I NEVER want to have to do that again.

My Chill uses "Hex" screws not "Torx". I think it was like 1.5mm, but I could be wrong about the size. Most Chinese Kershaws use Hex. But my older OSO does use torx.

We have been working with the factories in China to make sure they use Torx screws instead of hex for all products present and future. There are still knives out there with metric Allen (hex) screws, but they will eventually go away.

Man my experience was HORRIBLE. It was on my 560. I cleaned the screws really well with acetone and assembled with loctite. I used a little too much because when i had to tear it down again i absolutely destroyed 4 husky drivers, and ended up having to drill them out. I NEVER want to have to do that again.

Man, that sucks. If it ever happens again, let me know and I'll send you new screws and tube spacers.

My real horror stories have mostly involved proprietary "tamper proof hardware" - thankfully I don;t have any more knives with "tri-pin" or "tri-wing" screws. Those were so hard to remove without buggering them up, and the loctite didn't help.

We have been working with the factories in China to make sure they use Torx screws instead of hex for all products present and future. There are still knives out there with metric Allen (hex) screws, but they will eventually go away.
Awesome!

The Skylines pivot also uses T10.
0550 body uses the same T10 screws as the 0560.

Then there is the Lahar with Philips screws.

This is the one I have been using for awhile no problems at all. I can't say that about the Benchmade set that I had been using.
79245.jpg

It was about $20 shipped on ebay.

- thankfully I don;t have any more knives with "tri-pin" or "tri-wing" screws.
- You don't say :rolleyes:

Thank you for the thread Jim. I knew of KAIs use of Wiha tools as it has been mentioned before, but I guess it takes me a thread on the subject to understand why I should get some.... today!

Would the kershaw clash and volt2 have hex? I tried getting the volts off and pretty sure I stripped em.

My Clash has hex screws. Don't have a Volt 2. I do have a Volt......it has Torx. :D

Looks like Bladeforums is tempting me to buy something besides a knife for a change (also a flashlight, wallet, and watch but who's counting?)

Wiha also makes the stand alone L torx wrenches. They claim they are through hardened. Price for a set of 7 (6,7,8,9,10,15,20) is about $15 US.

High quality chrome-vanadium-molybdenum steel, through hardened
Black finish and through hardened for extreme durability

>> Wiha 36392 L-Wrench Set, Torx, Short Arm, 7 Piece

one edit - yeah they are L wrenches, but they are hardened, have a torx on each end at a fraction of the price of the handled versions. I can definitely see why you would need the handled versions at the factory - you are using them all day every day. Probably much easier on the hands and provides a more secure grip.

Last edited:
oh man, ive def got knives ive spent hundreds on, and torx drivers i got for like 6.99$ ug i need to fix that! good point.

Well my original order got cancelled because the seller ran out of stock, but I found a set instock from another seller. Should be here next week! I love new tools.

Back