Farm Life

I have raised hundreds of chickens. Raising them can be a bit of fun but what comes at the end of raising them is not so much. I would raise 2 groups of 50 each year starting them 2 weeks apart
and butchering the largest 25 at the end of 6 or 7 weeks and the other 25 a week or two later when they bulk up a bit more. Most would dress out around 6 or 7 pounds or more and be much better
than you can get at any store. The breast alone would feed 2. The biggest job would be plucking them but have since found someone that will rent me their auto plucker for $20 a weekend. It went from
taking all day long to process 25 to about 4 hours with the auto plucker. We gave away almost half to our parents and siblings each year. We have not raised any the last couple years but will be
starting again next spring.

Good for you Ged. We do about 40 a year and this will provide us with one years meat supply. Our table fare is a mix of chicken, quail and beef brisket (caught on sale). Some times a deer. We have raised steers, hogs and goats for the freezer as well. All enjoyable projects. The chick to chicken seems to be the easiest. I may pluck 2-3, all the rest are skinned. I'll do 6-8 each day on a weekend, after 9 weeks of feeding. Necks, backs, gizzards and hearts go into chicken soup which stretches the grocery bill. The remainder we grill, oven roast or boil in preparation for a casserole. These are one week apart but they look to be more. Haa. When it comes time for processing the whole family joins in. Yes, you're right, the flavor is much better when we raise them than store bought. We'll be using our Buck knives later on. DM

A friend of the family owned a poultry farm, worked there occasionally growing up and into college. It was an egg producing operation. I've collected, washed, graded and packed more eggs than I care to think about. The chickens were not slaughtered on site, when their egg producing time was up, they were packed into a tractor trailer truck and I'm sure they ended up as soup.... :)

I have memories of taking the IH TravelAll into town and picking up thousands of chicks shipped from the hatchery at the post office loading dock in big flat cardboard boxes. Always thought it interesting that live chicks were mailed....

Last edited:
Hope you have fond memories of this. At the beginning of my career I wasn't making much and had 2 babies and a wife to feed. There were several egg production plants in South Albuquerque. They would sell me those laid out chickens( 2 1/2-3 years old) for 20 cents each. For 5 bucks I'd get 25 chickens put them in a sack and head home. I'd process them in the back yard and put them in the freezer. My wife would then boil and bone them and make enchiladas, a casserole or chicken soup with rice or noodles. That's what we ate unless I got a deer or elk. After 3 years the money got better and I moved with the company. We learned how to stretch a dollar. Early on my Grandmother taught me how to process chickens. By plucking. I guess these experiences stuck with me and we still do. I've always enjoyed feeding my family good home grown groceries and getting to use my Buck knives in the process. Thank you, DM

Hope you have fond memories of this. At the beginning of my career I wasn't making much and had 2 babies and a wife to feed. There were several egg production plants in South Albuquerque. They would sell me those laid out chickens( 2 1/2-3 years old) for 20 cents each. For 5 bucks I'd get 25 chickens put them in a sack and head home. I'd process them in the back yard and put them in the freezer. My wife would then boil and bone them and make enchiladas, a casserole or chicken soup with rice or noodles. That's what we ate unless I got a deer or elk. After 3 years the money got better and I moved with the company. We learned how to stretch a dollar. Early on my Grandmother taught me how to process chickens. By plucking. I guess these experiences stuck with me and we still do. I've always enjoyed feeding my family good home grown groceries and getting to use my Buck knives in the process. Thank you, DM

Look at the way those birds are looking at your Buck knife.

Your early years sounds similar to my early years.
We would buy 50 old white leghorns each year and spend the day scalding feathers and cleaning birds.
I said I'd never do it again, but did for a few years each time we ran out.
Ate those old chickens, lots of potatoes and dried beans back then. It was lean, but good times.
Could eat all week on about $10.00.
I go to the local farm store every couple weeks and this time of year they have their chicks for sale.
It's always the busiest place in the store.

This is one of the few times I've lived in a residential neighborhood. I miss the country.

So cool to hear about folks raising their own food. Better for the animals, better for the environment, tastier, healthier, more rewarding, etc. :thumbup:

I'm curious, David Martin, what knife is that in the chicks pic?

That is Buck's 334 Millennium Trapper. A contract trapper made by Camillus in 2000. I got it from Stumps. He found it at a show somewhere. A slip lock that holds a spey blade and a drop point with a full flat grind profile.
Did you pluck all 50 birds? Yep, potatoes and beans are cheap and will stretch your grocery dollars. We would save the livers and mix in some garlic with it for fish bait. Catfish sure liked it. DM

Last edited:
We had a small cattle ranch/farm raising registered Black Angus. We never lacked for meat in the freezer! It was hard work, and sometimes dangerous (ever been stepped on by a 1000 lb cow while in trying to get it unstuck from a bog?). It was hard work, but fun, too.

I know what your talking about Doc as both my Grandfathers raised beef cattle, crops and usually a milk cow. While Grandmother had all the laying hens. We learned about work growing up. DM

Good to see this. In my opinion to many people depend on stores to much. If they had to feed their self, a lot would starve. As they have no idea of how to either hunt or process anything.

I remember when that knife came out and still kick my self for not getting one. All though I did get its Camillus cousin that is a double lock blade.

Look forward to more on this story David.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Ronin. I usually try to do a topic like this each year. Here is last years.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...e-With-Bucks-D2?highlight=processing+chickens

Herein I hope to show folks how to use their Buck knife to put food on the table and feed their family for a year on an area no larger than a single car garage. Agreed, we need to regain the knowledge of self sufficiency with just some basic know how and a simple tool. The knife. Plus, it is satisfying stretching your grocery dollars and putting in the freezer a high quality product. Ronin, I don't know the knife you mention. Can you show us a photo of one? Thanks for your interest. In a couple of months I'll give more details. DM

Interesting topic. I talked to a guy once that hauled feed for a large chicken growing operation and he said he would never eat a chicken unless he raised it himself. He hauled something that he sprayed on the chicken feed to help the chickens grow faster. He said he got some on his hand and it ate and burned his skin off. This was a few years back.
I just got back into gardening last year. When I first got married, I had a pretty big garden and with other commitments, it got smaller ever year until I quit. Did a small garden last year and it did pretty well and so I've doubled the size of it this year. The bad thing is, I have 4 antique tractors and have myself spread thin on restoring them that I don't have them ready to use. (I have 3 kids in sports so the tractors probably won't get done until I retire.)

Fascinating bucolic stories gentleman. Thank you kindly. Reminds me of my early life here in rural Oregon back in the '80s when we raised feeder calves, free day old from a Tillamook dairy, fed for 20 months until rendered. After that it has been gardening for personal use and changed the land use to timber land from farm land. We planted 1,000 Douglas fir. The written plan is to wait until mature then harvest for lumber.

Some of you may know that Oregon legalized pot. My lovely wife and I pulled into our remote and isolated driveway, arriving home from a day trip, just the other day closely followed by someone (I can count on one hand the uninvited visitors to this property over the last 30 years so this was very rare). A pot attorney from another state hot to establish a grow business on contiguous property. Introductions were made, and interview was conducted, stories of the neighbor were told and goodbyes were said. We were told that our driveway could be blocked, interfering with our coming and going. And that he would like for us to call him before the law enforcement officials (The grow license must be approved by the authorities and anything like a police visit might cancel approval of that license). Does that sound like a threat to you? Farming is changing in this neck of the woods. Anyone notice the Ohio murder of 8 news where pot was involved? This is a cash/drug business. Thieves stealing chickens probably don't want to do murder I figure.

I was showing my older son's Father-In-Law, retired BLM forest manager, my forest (and my home is in the middle of the property) and man-o-man was he full of terrific suggestions for its enhancement. My younger son was attending. From the back of the property came a very large black Labrador retriever barking wildly while running back and forth on my property. I'm leading, as it came closer I used my alpha dog voice to repel the dog. A fellow from contiguous property enters my forest who appears to have some voice control of the dog. I know this fellow (he rents the land from the owner who I've given written notice to stop using my property, was taking trees, dirt, not bothering with survey markers). I ask him to take control of his dog and he says not his dog. I ask him to exit property and he does. We three start to return to home place, on another part of property, and dog attacks at speed with hackles raised teeth bared snarling with head turned to take in my leg I turn around at last minute and again use my big booming alpha voice and dog cowers and retreats. I had ASP and Buck 830 on me, didn't show or use either. Later call fellow who came on property asked to ID dog owner and said it was his neighbor but did not know neighbor's name or contact information (I wanted to speak with neighbor and try to explain I don't want dog injuring anyone on my property). Law here requires no loose animals in my county. There are probably 1/2 dozen loose animals nearby including dogs and horses. None are friendly, unfortunately.

The drugs and residents without a bit of care or knowledge for property lines or rules or laws or manners or control of their animals/livestock have appeared since I moved here in 1985. The old timers have moved deeper into the country as this type of resident has spilled out of wherever they come from or they have died. I worked as a rural mail carrier for over 5 years and ran for my life many times. I was given dog training several times by talented professionals and think that I can read dogs intentions pretty well. I sure don't want to hurt anyone, anyone's dog. I never did on the 7 different routes I worked all over the place here in the sticks. One woman was killed by a dog btw. The image of having my Achilles tendon removed or bleeding out from a dog bite in my own forest and me crawling doesn't appeal to me much. I can't bring myself to call the county to P/U the dog(s) or horse(s). I suppose if I lived in town the threats would be otherwise but the benefits, well, the benefits..... Fresh Benton strawberries! Oh baby. Worth it. Yes. Worth it.

jec, that's interesting. I've never seen it used at farms I visit.
Oregon, you have some good stories. Thanks. DM

David, I'm not sure how I would go about uploading a photo. I rarely turn on my computer. I use my phone to read all the happenings on the forum.

But my Camillus is a Yellow Jacket ( marked on main blade and yellow handled) exactly the same as your Buck only both blades are rear lock.

That's her only with different handles. Mine is smooth yellow handled. And has yellow jacket with the bee on the blade.

Ronin, I'll try to give all a good story with pictures as I write this up. In processing chickens most cuts are a little slicing and a push through at the joint. So, really not much skinning. Still, a good bit of knife use over-all. I'll process the first batch around July 4. Thanks, DM

Back