Favorite Back Lock/Lockback Knife?

In the era of flippers, specifically frame lock flippers, the "action craze", and arguments about whose knife falls shut faster I've really come to appreciate and almost prefer the back lock over almost all other locking mechanisms.

For the backlock fans out there, what is your favorite model?

Bucks. Lots of Bucks. Too many to list them all. My aviator shows a few.

GEC 72 clip point
GEC 83 clip point

Although I don’t much carry the GEC’s anymore these days. Prefer stainless.

Specifically a Steel Will Gekko 1500, but pretty much any made by Viper Knives of Italy (They make the SW Gekko). Never seen backlocks that open so smooth.
Just what I was thinking. My Gekko 1550 is the smoothest knife I have ever owned. The fit and finish is amazing as well. They do an amazing lockback IMO. :thumbsup:

I prefer flipping with a finger tab but I appreciate a good back lock. Like a lot of people here probably did, I grew up with the Buck and Case style of knives.

My wife doesn't share my love of flippers. She recently expressed interest in getting a new beater for her purse. It had to be sturdy but also thin and "cute". I got her a Ka-Bar Dozier for Christmas. So far, she's pleased as punch.

I'm not the biggest fan of the large folding hunters, but usually always seemed to have a Buck 110 or Schrade LB7 around. I always thought Schrade did it just a little better. For Christmas last month, I got myself a new 110 with oak handles and 5160 blade. Sharp, and not just the edge, THIS is the one that changed my mind!

Another favorite is the original SOG Tomcat recurved Bowie style lockback. Had one years ago, built like a tank! And I sold it. Wish I still had it.

Finally, the Lakota Lil' Hawk. If you've ever handled one, you know why, built like a tank. And I sold it. Wish I still had it.

Last edited:
Manly Peak
31903495017_0f7737120e_h.jpg

Oh, there are so many good ones! Are you including variants like Triads and Scorpion locks?

Back