Favorite Back Lock/Lockback Knife?

From what I own, the Helle Dokka is exceptional in my book. But my Spyderco Chaparral runs a close second. That said, I am sure there are a lot of great lock backs I have never even heard of. A Buck 110 or 112 is something I'd like to get as well.

Reactions: 353
I have a few Bucks & Cases with back locks, but the Native5 is by far my favorite.
IMG_0690-X3.jpg

Native 5 for EDC and then I suppose one of the triad locks from cold steel for harder use, bigger knives. The broken skull was pretty nice but I preferred the handle of the millie more so I gifted the CS away. I need to find one that has a full handle as most of the CS folders have had thin handles that I don't care for in the woods. They work well for around the house and EDC though.

I have 3 native 5's, if that says anything. It's the only backlock I have multiples of and it's my primary locking EDC (because I like slippies too).

My favorite lock and these are my four favorite knives.

A couple things on construction:
On the Buck 110 - for anyone who doesn't know - the blade kick actually rest against the front part of the lockbar while closed, meaning that the edge can actually touch the back spacer, if you press on the spine. It's no issue at all if you don't do that on purpose, but it's good to know.
On the midlock Endura, the edge can never touch the back spacer, because the shorter lockbar means that the blade kick rests directly on the pivot pin of the lockbar, which won't allow any give.
The two A.G. Russell folders are also Buck 110 style lockbacks, but those knives have separate stop pins that keeps the blade in place while closed.

I am interested in the Cold Steel Triad Lock, but I'm mostly into traditional looking folders nowadays and I haven't found one that I like yet.

jBIxaU6.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of great ones come to mind, but my waved satin recon 1 is my favorite.

Ancient Schrade from the late 70’s with brass bolsters. I’ve nearly sharpened the blade away over the years. My dad bought it for me as a Christmas gift when I was in the seventh grade.

The Buck 112 is as close to my favorite knife as it gets. Now for my ceaseless and tedious rant: Where is my Aluminum 112? I will grovel, if that would help make it a reality.

Al Mar Ultralight Hawk with the Talon blade.

And the Spyderco Jess Horn sprint run with the laminated ZDP-189 blade and maroon scales.

Those are nice.

I am Spyderco guy and many models I like come with a lockback.... I think for me it is a tie between Spyderco Stretch AND Spyderco Centofante 3. Both are slim, light and due to their grinds (full flat on the Stretch and hollow on the Centofante 3), great slicers.

Best old-school lockback: Schrade LB7

Best modern lockback: Spyderco Chaparral in stepped titanium

Best lightweight lockback: Buck Micarta Spitfire 722

Best tiny lockback: Spyderco Manbug g10

My favorite lockback of all time is the Buck Titanium 186, basically a Titanium 110 with finger groves and a clip.

In the mid 80s in conjunction with Probis Buck had some projects going, one of them was a knife meant to be taken apart in the field to clean. What better knife than the iconic 110 except to make it easier and less part they made it from titanium. They advertised in all the outdoor magazines, they hit all the big sport and the burgeoning knife show circuit. They sold so fast it took me almost a month to find one and have it shipped from the west coast back east.

That was in '84 I believe, by '86 they were all gone and only the riveted Buck 560 was available, the reason for the demise of what I thought was a great knife by Buck. The answer I got from Buck himself? Because service was getting too many knives sent back by the consumers who took them apart and couldn't put them back together or when they did the back spring was too weak. A great idea but because of it's complexity it was thrown over for a version that offered no option to take it apart. Buck decided that the average idiot with a screwdriver has no business taking apart a knife. Thank goodness he didn't decide to put an IKBS bearing in it.

qlQryTX.jpg

aEY7AIC.jpg

N1N3ihj.jpg

LVc6VvI.jpg

irYARwX.jpg

Easily my Demko AD10, absolute butter smoothness from the strongest lock-back there is. Production models would be Spyderco's native and salt line along with Cold Steels Recon 1.

Can't think of any backlocks in my collection that don't work perfectly: Native 5, Buck 110/112, American Lawman, Recon 1, all smooth as butter, solid lockups, easy closing.

Back