Favorite big knife over 7"

Looking to get a bigger blade to see how it works for kayak camping. Wannt to see what others like/use.

Also a kayak camper and on a "one tool" adventure right now. Mine is a Varustelka Skrama. Has been working well over the past 3 months of my personal use.

Bigger blade? Say no more. You *need* (really need) a Becker BK9. That's 9" of pure awesome modern day bowie knife. Behold the king...

QZ4FV5c.jpg

Budget?

I guess it is safe to assume you don't want to make a this knife (your tag says hobbyist knife maker) ? Due to the wet environment, I'd pick stainless over high carbon in this case. Unfortunately, stainless is much less common at 7"+ in the survival camp genre then high carbon unless you want to drop $200+ it seems.

Again, depending on how much you want to spend and the materials you want, I might just contact a knife maker on this forum and ask for a 7" camp survival blade in stainless.

I've owned a BK 7 and 9 and got rid of both. Great knives but just too big for my general camping/survival needs. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I usually have my F1 in my pack and a Spyderco Military on my pocket, but been keeping a Fiskers ax in the hull with a Silky 260 (nothing those two together couldn't take care of), but wouldn't mind dropping the Fiskers for a beefier big blade and using the saw for most cutting tasks.

BK4, near perfect Yak camping do-all blade.
If you can't do it with a 4 it doesn't need to be done.

Yes it is a heavy chopper and batoning

Does detail well when you choke up on the blade

But discontinued

I have a Imacasa 12" Pata de Cuche machete that I use and it is only 9oz
Cuts, chops and fine work, but not for heavy battoning

My father and I kayak camp on the east coast. One of us carries an Ontario Kukri. The other carries a dollar store folding saw

Thanks guys. This guy came today (BRKT Bravo Survivor). Should handle pretty much anything.. GESH it's a monster!!

o6fef5D.jpg

That's pretty nice and it's weird I was just looking at that same knife earlier, congrats. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. This guy came today (BRKT Bravo Survivor). Should handle pretty much anything.. GESH it's a monster!!

o6fef5D.jpg

That is a beauty! I'm personally not a fan of hollow ground geometry, but otherwise it's stout lookin' blade.

If the owner wasn't such an azzhat i would have considered buying a Barkie - he and his team make nice knives.

I hope it serves you well.

Great looking big knife bro....but the bk 4 can still be found for far less than that beauty with more versatile functions
Kayaking... did a few 5 t0 14 day trips in the juan da fucan area of Washington....I would have killed for the bk4....all baton Ning and rough scrub work for firewood.....for the love of god bring a 7 to 12 in saw so you can chip away at the big logs that have dry wood on the OUTSIDE to 2 inches with you chopper after sawing relief cuts

That is a beauty! I'm personally not a fan of hollow ground geometry, but otherwise it's stout lookin' blade

I hope it serves you well.

Thanks brother. It's convex ground though, completely opposite of a hollow.

The Bark River Bravo Survivor is a beauty. I understand the attraction of large knives for the woods, but I seldom take anything over 6" in the woods any more unless I am chopping and often will toss in a machete of some sort for that. Something around 5" has been what I gravitated to.

My favorite: had the blade made by John Adams in Sheffield, made the steel guard and bolsters myself, and added the elk stag handle scales. The sheath is not perfect, but it quite usable!

Ron

Back