Favorite blade shape and multi or single bladed knives

stevekolt

Gold Member
What is your favorite blade shape, and how much does it influence your purchases? Do you favor multi or single bladed knives?

My current favorite blade shape is the clip point. Just aesthetically pleasing to my eye. The one blade shape that I really don't care for is the tanto.
I much prefer single bladed knives...at least for now ;)

It depends on my mood and what I’m doing.

bBrBDWk.jpg

Tanto for me generally. Then drop point. And a Persian here and there if done right.

As for multi blade knives, that's a no. But I am just not into SAKs or more traditional stuff.

Big fan of tantos if they aren't over the top tacticool.
I find that they are very useful for what I do.

Big fan of clip and drop points.
Mostly because of looks. They work for what I do, don't get me wrong.

A good Wharncliffe is also a hell of a thing.

It really all depends on the knife, so I wouldn't say blade shape ALONE has made me buy a knife.

And single blades. Not really in to traditionals.

Clip points for me and I like having a second blade. I also prefer a locking blade, so I'm forced to choose one or the other.

Trailing point is my fav... But drop point is my do-everydhing EDC.

Trailing point with a swedge is awesomely slicey and stabby!! You know... it cuts, slices and stabs things really well.... The entire reason we have knives...

American Tanto for me as well. Very useful for all sorts of jobs, and easy to maintain.

Single blade for me, until someone makes a double with one tanto and one fully serrated drop point. Now that would be a useful knife for me.

I’ve turned into a bit of a Wharncliffe fan. Straight edges just cut exceptionally well. I especially like whenever the tip is thinned out to turn it into a sort of needle point. I use my knives to cut stuff and really, that’s about it. So a blade shape that is geared just for that makes me happy. Truly though, I’m a fan of almost every profile out there. I can make do with a Drop point or a Clip any day of the week, my most carried knife is a Drop point, but if I have a choice I’d choose a Wharncliffe, especially on a traditional. With moderns I’m happy with whatever I get, haha. Leaf, Sheepsfoot, Tanto, it doesn’t seem to matter most of the time.

yUBAu4H.jpg

bjzxyre.jpg

As for multi-blades.. I like single blades 9/10 times. Usually they feel better in hand and I haven’t run into any issues where 3 sharp blades would be better than one sharp blade yet. I try to keep my knives in good shape so I don’t tend to run out of edge on most daily chores. There are exceptions, of course. Like the 48 above, I tend to use the Wharncliffe over the Clip, and because the Clip sits so low it doesn’t interfere with the grip. Now if I use the Clip, the Wharncliffe does mess with the ergonomics because it’s such a high blade, but not enough to keep me from using it ever.

And for purchasing.. I don’t actively look for specific modern blade profiles. I do with slipjoints, though. I’m not entirely sure why, but I’m a lot more picky when it comes to traditional knives.

All my 2 blade knives are SAKs. Otherwise, one blade on a knife.

Me likey ...
1. Spear/drop/standard
2. Wharncliffe
3. Sheeps foot

Me no likey ...
1. Tanto
2. Dagger (no need for double sided blade)
3. Persian (too much belly, like me)
4. Kukri

Blade shape is important in my buying decision.

A single blade modern folder with a drop point is my preference but, I am very intrigued with Wharncliffe and Sheepsfoot blades.

I'm pretty conservative and it shows in my likes and dislikes with knives.

Last edited:
Wharncliffe, Graham Razels, Traditional Tanto.

I really don't need much belly for my every day uses, if any at all. An pronounced and acute tip w/ a lot of straight edge is what I need day to day.

I'm a sucker for a Wharncliffe, Sheepsfoot or Cleaver and variations there of. They're far more versatile than you might expect for edc purposes while excelling at precision draw cuts, food prep and other common uses.
Sure, you lose the extended stabby point of a drop/clip/tanto but I've never been attacked by a ninja at the mall, so it's literally never come up. Theres more than enough of a tip for regular piercing tasks and starting cuts, but if you're tacticool and need a big pointy knife to complete your super hero costume, a Wharncliffe might not be for you.

Of course I also have my fair share of drop points, and they get carried regularly as well.
I've definitely bought a blade just because of the blade shape on more than one occasion (I'm looking at YOU, Gerber Flatiron), but I wouldn't say it's my main or only consideration. I'm more concerned with the materials, quality and value proposition.

Single blades only for me.

Modern and drop point
I just mainly use the belly of the drop point to initiate the cut then the flat of the blad tiofollow through with the cut.
I've been real intrigued by kwaikens lately but dont own one yet.

a modern single blade drop point is what I've been EDC'ing for years now (different knives during that time)

but I do have a place for SAKs and dual blade traditionals, just not EDC.
had a SAK in my pocket over the weekend doing some home improvements and electrical work

I despise the term "American Tanto". There was a real thing called kamasu-kissaki.

I like Japanese inspired blades, which are commonly referred to as "tanto" or "kwaiken" these days.

As a sharpener, I'm very much enjoying multi-bladed knives. I really like a clip and Wharncliffe/sheepsfoot combo. But whatever the shapes, you can sharpen them differently so they're more purpose-based. For example, on my Case Mini Trapper with a clip and Wharncliffe, I sharpen the clip to 300 grit diamond or maybe an India fine stone. That leaves it pretty aggressive and I use this mainly for apples and such. The Wharncliffe i bring up to a finer polish and it works very well at push cutting, like cardboard and that sort of thing.

I also like a long and short blade combo like on a Stockman or a canoe pattern. The shorter blade can be sued for more control and precision. I again sharpen the blades differently.

Aesthetically I prefer a single bladed knife but for performance, multi-bladed tools are hard to beat.

:)

Back