Votes: 3 3.5%
  • CPM 154

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • CPM S35VN

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

AA Forge

Custom Knife Maker
Let's hear what your favorite steel is and why!

We are tooling up to work with some higher performance steel in the future and I'm simply curious on your alls thoughts. We will always work with the standard carbon steels (which are my favorite), but I want to expand our options a little. Unfortunately I'm limited on the poll options, so if you don't see your favorite feel free to simply post it up!

Let's hear it!

For my needs, 3V is a great all around option. I don't find it exceptional in any way but it is a great balance of what I need in a fixed blade.

That said, ALL the steels on that list are ones I have used and enjoyed for various reasons.

Rex 121. Hardness, takes abuse, keeps a razors edge.

LC200n .. this is my favorite. Its not a stainLESS steel .. it's stainPROOF. Pretty much anti corrosive steel. Holds a HARD edge, but still pretty easy to sharpen.

52100 for a carbon steel. Holds an edge well and seems to be quite tough. I think AEB-L is one I would like to see more of in bigger blades as it's supposed to be quite similar to 52100 in characteristics but stainless. I don't see much big enough to test that out but it would be nice to get something like a Leuku (6-8") in AEB-L to test that theory out.

Rex 121. Hardness, takes abuse, keeps a razors edge.

LC200n .. this is my favorite. Its not a stainLESS steel .. it's stainPROOF. Pretty much anti corrosive steel. Holds a HARD edge, but still pretty easy to sharpen.
I may look to see if I can get it!

Would enjoy trying a sloyd in 3v incredibly interested in seeing how it would perform with a traditional Scandi ground blade.

3v is not that great at reel fine edges which is most of my hesitation with it.

52100 for a carbon steel. Holds an edge well and seems to be quite tough. I think AEB-L is one I would like to see more of in bigger blades as it's supposed to be quite similar to 52100 in characteristics but stainless. I don't see much big enough to test that out but it would be nice to get something like a Leuku (6-8") in AEB-L to test that theory out.

I actually happen to have some huntsman's and leukus planned on aeb-l. Unfortunately they won't be available until next month at the earliest.

AEB-L has impressed me with how easily it takes a great edge and it's proven to have pretty good edge retention and toughness IMHO.

Chasing the next super steel is getting old. I am pretty happy with my niolox which is basically D2

I have always favored 80CRV but I have couple of AA's that are my only 52100 that I can't find fault in.

I do not live near the coast so I like carbon steels. 52100, 5160(for heavy knives).

CPM154 is a good stainless.

Bill

Can't pick just one since final use is a factor.
In Va. we have had about 70 inches of rain in last year so stainless steel is the new go-to.

Back