Off Topic Favorite cheapo knife

And here it is !
Carried and used it at work today. Complete with glue from box tape. Pretty darn nice edge on the clip point. The spay blade had some rolling and wouldn't hang on the thumb nail for a good portion of it. Nothing a ceramic rod won't fix. I carried it today and will tomorrow then probably reprofile the clip blade and remove the spay this Sunday.

I've wanted a blue one like this for years but always found something else to spend the knife money on.

Goes with my blue suede shoes. ;)
View attachment 1002591

Whats the point of removing the spey blade?

I must admit to over doing it on these.
I enjoy them. Kind of a little bit of modern sculpture, I think.

I have carried them with and without the clip; loose in pocket or clipped on pocket. Clipped in my bike bag / take to work bag. I've never seen even a hint of one opening up accidentally.
Good stuff !

And S110V and Maximet knives . . . move over . . . here come the EAB with a carbide edge !

I like their aesthetic, and I have never had one open or close accidentally on me. Definitely think I need a carbide blade, but that bottom roofing blade is giving me horrible flashbacks to roofing my garage this spring. Murphy struck hard and often, and my left eye is now twitching even thinking about it.

Taiwan Lightning. Not because they're great cutting/slicing/chopping tools but because they're fun. Bought one several years ago expecting it to fall apart within a few days since it was so cheap. But I wanted to play with an OTF knife anyway. I had such a good time with that knife I decided I would miss it when it finally broke so I bought another. I now have a half dozen or so and they just keep on working. I don't think I've actually cut anything with any of them other than opening letters and boxes and cutting up some cardboard for recycling--which is about all I use knives for these days anyway.

The Mora Companion, I think it cost about $11. I recently bought a Kershaw Atmos just to check it out, great $30 small edc knife!
yO80Euq.jpg

Y12RLL4.jpg

why can't I ever find a good machete like that, I'd gladly pay $10 even
every time I find anything like it, its at least $25+ and the qc just is horrid

Sometimes it's just luck. I prefer to search on specific brands (such as "Gavilan Incolma Corneta Machete") to weed out all the cheap clones and off brands. Used to be a local knife shop in an indoor flea market that sold Tramontinas at a reasonable price. Unless you can snag free shipping or a reduced rate, the shipping cost can be prohibitive. It takes a rather long, bulky box to ship some of the big ones.

I saw one manufacturer's catalog, perhaps Incolma, where they listed machete prices. The had the distributor cost, the reseller cost and the suggested selling price. All quite low, as you might expect for farm/garden tools.

I carried it today and will tomorrow then probably reprofile the clip blade and remove the spay this Sunday.

I removed the Spay blade. I sharpened it at the stock / factory angle on the Edge Pro to Shapton Glass 4,000. As it turned out the edge from the factory had some wire edge and rolled fairly easily in places in previous days. I didn't cut much that was challenging, just some dusty rubber coated cloth.

Anyway it is now hair whittling with no wire edge. It feels so much better without the Spay blade too.
Happy Dog ! ! !

(as it happened I measured the edge with an angle gauge for another thread here and looks to be about 35° inclusive and about 18° per side.) (I'll go shallower angle in the future but this was a fast geeeter done for now . . . the click clack of the Edge Pro keeps The Chef awake so had to quit early; reprofiling it would have taken considerably longer).
IMG_5619.JPG

Last edited:
There's an Opinel epidemic in my social group here in the Philippines. It all started when a shop announced it was selling its stock for $10 a piece. Sales haven't stopped even when he brought it back to the original $12.9 price. Thing with these knives is you can't order them on ebay; the shipping price costs more than the knife itself.

I got this from my Dad awhile back(not mine pictured). About $35 I think. I like it, and it lasted longer than my Winchester folder that kept unscrewing at the pivot until I lost it. (And the pocket clip screws too)
https://goo.gl/images/puc8bn
No offense but just saying you can probably get a better knife than that for $35... Not that it's bad, just that I believe for that money there are better materials than that one provides. With that said that steel is probably able to take some abuse.

speaking of a great $35 dollar value, for a large fixed blade, check the Terävä Jääkäripuukko - the 5.5" blade is the same price as the smaller one & uses great 80crv2 carbon steel
389185ad5e0de073e5.jpg

Easy for you to say ! ;)

yeah, easy when it's such an all-purpose do anything cheapo survival knife... I have not found a better quality value from frequent searches...
I guess you can get some 1075 type machetes for almost half that, like tramotinas etc, but they'd be thinner and not quite as indestructable

a mora garberg would be as tough, but it's more than double the price

yeah, easy when it's such an all-purpose do anything cheapo survival knife... I have not found a better quality value from frequent searches...
I guess you can get some 1075 type machetes for almost half that, like tramotinas etc, but they'd be thinner and not quite as indestructable

a mora garberg would be as tough, but it's more than double the price
Yeah ! It looks great . I just have no clue how to pronounce the name . :confused:

root word is puukko - as in when someone pukes, but add a long 'o' to the end, easy 'puke-oo'

front part, phonetically, 'ya-kari'
(for what it's worth in Finnish ää sounds like the sound you'd make at the doctors when they use a tongue depressor, the single form is just slightly shorter)

ya-kari-puke-oo

Kershaw Spoiler: best bang for the buck-$20. It reminds me of the discontinued Kershaw Tremor (top): big knife, great value.
3.75" blade, my favorite size. The modified tanto blade looks good, but is not my favorite to use. I like the G-10 handle, assisted opening, flipper, and fairly deep pocket clip.
840e8a8d.jpg.505x650_q85.jpg

1334_1_disp.jpg

Last edited:
Back