Favorite folders from American companies under $35

So does this mean that a knife contracted to be made in China by an American company is preferable to an American-made knife made by a U.S.-based company owned by a Japanese parent company?

It would seem to me to be that the latter is actually more "American".

Jim

Very good question. It gets complex with international ownership and manufacturing, to be sure. Maybe we should expand the OP to include knives "made" in America, regardless of who the parent company is, so that we can grandfather in our favorite Kershaw blades. Consider it done! :)

Ha, ha, ha
I have carried a 110 for thirty five years (some times)
but for a person who's body is still forming ? ? ?
my toes bend in from wearing cowboy boots from way early . . . why I can even remember walking around with a transistor radio playing country music and saying "dambed hippy".
Remember hand held transistor radios ? Whoa . . . high tech ! ! ! Up town ! ! !

Of course I eventually grew my hair to my waist, started doing yoga (certified instructor now) and got me some custom made moccasins.
In the words of Richard Alpert, PHD,"You got to play at all levels".

Short hair now.
Filthy, vulgar, people with long hair . . . NOW . . . just seem to be filthy vulgar people . . .

. . . what I am getting at is : any poor little kid that carries a 110 in his pocket will probably be deformed for life from the shear weight of the thing. Some things are best left for adult hood.
I think.
:)

View attachment 787376

Well, I am 11 months away from being alive for 35 years...

I don't know that I ever pocketed one as a kid but after saving up the heroic sum, at that age, it went with me on every fishing and camping trip. I did edc a cheapo butterfly knife I bought in NYC (of all places) for a while though. Switched that out as an adult though I never did grow out of vulgar.

You know, one blade that I don't hear much about anymore is the Gerber LST. I used to own an early one with an orange handle.
Nice, small, lightweight folder.

Another vote for the Buck 110, and the Rats 1 & 2.

I have also owned the Kershaw Cryo and while I loved the blade shape and size, the washers got all wonkey and the action got all grindey so... Never again.

ESEE Avispa & zancudo

Kershaw Scrambler, Japanese technicalities aside

Any of the Buck classics.

My wife gave me this one 25 years ago. It holds its own among my other knives, which cost way more. She sure picked good for me. One more reason I'm glad we're married.

wow forgot about that one.
These are the good old Gerbers

lwU1ndF.jpg

knives you could trust, use and rely on. Both the small and big Gators are excellent options :thumbsup:

TP0GrO9.jpg

I think my favorite “budget knives” from a US company are the Spyderco Byrds. When I’m recommending a knife I found out what size they want and then direct them to either the Cara Cara, Meadowlark or Robin.

Yup! The Dividend is a really cool little knife.
Joe

It hovers around $35. I got mine for under $35 when it first came out. BHQ has it for $35.95 right now. I say that's close enough as it's one of my favorite knives.

Back