Favorite hunting Shotguns

H&R Pardner

nef_pardner-0151.jpg

My two favorite hunting shotguns are a Ithaca Model 37 pump which I have had since I was about 14 and an old Parker Brothers side by side which has been in the family for over 100 years. Both are 12 gauge. That old Parker Brothers is the best shooter I have ever used. The site seems to naturally line up when you bring it to your shoulder.

I love my BPS with the 26" barrel, it slays pheasants, quail, and ducks with the best of em. For doves, on the other hand, you cant beat my Grandpa's old remington 1500 in 20. I used to use my savage 20/22mag for rabbits and such, but I just got into 410, and I have been slaying the clays so far...

Hi,

I use a Weatherby 20ga Orion, when I can pry it out of my Daughters hands. At just under 6 1/2lbs. and with 26" tubes, it carries easily all day. And points well and quickly for fast flushes over my Springers.

If I can't use "Her" gun, I like my Pedersoli 12ga 1850's style caplock SxS. With it's straight English grip and splinter fore-end, it neatly captures the essence of a long-ago era. Loaded with 3 1/4 drams of 2fg and an ounce of #5 bismuth shot it has proven deadly on pheasants and ducks alike.

dalee

Ithaca model 37 Deerslayer II (I believe)(Has a 3-9x40 scope on it, will check what brand, can't remember at the moment)

Had it for a while, and have downed quite a few deer with it, and it hasn't failed me yet :thumbup:

A few years back, two acquaintances, both big time waterfowl hunters, dropped into my shop late on a Saturday a.m. They had driven from Albuquerque down to Bosque Del Apache early that a.m. where there was a no-limit in effect for snow geese. They both had big 3.5 magnum 12 gauge shotguns and they got maybe six or eight each of the geese. They dropped by my place on their way back home and while they were there, an elderly guy in a little Datsun pickup drove in. The back of his truck was piled high with geese and he said he had something like 50. My two mighty hunters, of course, asked what kind of gun he was using. Whoa! It was a Winchester 37 (as I recall). Anyway, a single shot break-open in TWENTY gauge! He brought the gun in and showed it to us. I had to laugh, I really did. It was a popgun compared to my friend's high priced magnums. A perfect example of knowing how to hunt and shoot with minimal equipment. BTW, you have to shoot those big geese from the side or rear. Straight on at them and most of your shot deflects off their thick and oily front feathers.

I don't find snows to be too big compared to resident honkers, but getting them to commit is a different story.

for turkeys I use a Bennelli super nova
for doves and ducks over decoys I use a Beretta citizen.
had a Ruger red label but had to sell it, I miss that one:(:thumbdn:

Ithaca 37 featherweight. It was my very first shotgun. My Dad bought it for me when I was 12 and started hunting. 40 yrs later and lots of birds and squirrels its still works. Dont hunt as much as I once did but it sees lots of use around the house for a yard gun. Chippys and Red squirrels mostly. And Now I keep an 18" open choke barrel on it.
Its the bottom in pic.

029-1.jpg

Sweet ! I've always wanted to get my hands on an Ithaca !
In my opinion the best bang for your buck is the (Don't laugh) MossBurg Model 88 Maverick ! To be a cheapy it shoots great ! I've had mine for several years now it's dropped sveral grouse in it's time & a few tree rats :D
I also like the Remington 870Xpress for the money :thumbup:

Its cool, but why the scope?

I had been shooting 2 1/2" slugs just did not take it off, when I go to Coyote Valley Sporting Clays it comes off, next time I should leave it on and see how many eyes roll on the course or I get shouted at "hey! you cant shoot that on here!" till I enlighten them :D

Last edited:
Here's my grouse and woodcock shooter.
061410025.jpg

061410026.jpg

Browning Citori feather light 20/28 ga. combo. Weighs in around 6.3 lbs with 27" tubes. Real Whippy and light for those ambush birds. It's been perfect but it could use a solid rib and a higher rate of fire.:thumbup:

my three favorite shotguns are the remington 870 express mag in 20 gauge mossberg 835 ulti mag and a benelli extrema 2 i own all these exept for the benelli

This is the coolest birthday gift I have ever recieved! My wife got me this Merkel 96K drilling in side x side 12ga. over a .30-06. it is light,(6.8lbs) fast, and very acurate. On my first hunt in the alpine with it, I bagged a Ptarmigan, 2 grouse and another critter. It's a meat getter!

Don't know which thread to put this in... rifle, or shotgun... it's both!

Attachments

• P1030366.jpg
    P1030366.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1030343.jpg
    P1030343.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P1030388.jpg
    P1030388.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 19
This is the coolest birthday gift I have ever recieved! My wife got me this Merkel 96K drilling in side x side 12ga. over a .30-06. it is light,(6.8lbs) fast, and very acurate. On my first hunt in the alpine with it, I bagged a Ptarmigan, 2 grouse and another critter. It's a meat getter!

Don't know which thread to put this in... rifle, or shotgun... it's both!

Now that just kicksarse :thumbup:

Back