Favorite hunting Shotguns

This is the coolest birthday gift I have ever recieved! My wife got me this Merkel 96K drilling in side x side 12ga. over a .30-06. it is light,(6.8lbs) fast, and very acurate. On my first hunt in the alpine with it, I bagged a Ptarmigan, 2 grouse and another critter. It's a meat getter!

Don't know which thread to put this in... rifle, or shotgun... it's both!

Beautiful gun ! Surprised at that weight, thought for sure it would be much more. One of those would just about eliminate the need for more guns,therefore,,I dont want one.

My all time favorite is the now discontinued Remington Peerless O/U 12 gauge. Second is my 27 year old Remington 870 Wingmaster.
Scott

Gee, never used it much,but my go-to "house gun" is a Western Auto Wingmaster pump gun in 12 GA that my Dad cut off to a legal 18" about 30 years ago. I think Mossberg made the Western auto line of guns. He was an excellent craftsman and did it right. My other smooth bore is an old Stevens Mod 37 (?) steel frame pump, single action bar, with a 28 " tube, modified choke. I bought it for $99 new about 1980. I need to man up and take it trap shooting at the club. :eek:

H&R Pardner

nef_pardner-0151.jpg

:thumbup: light simple and reliable what more can you ask

Well, we have a thread on favorite rifles already, here's something for the wingshooters.

What are your favorite smoothbore? It doesn't have to be something you own, just the top 3 most interesting gun to you.

1) A5 - That's the gun my uncled had when I was a kid and thought it was uber badass. From market hunters to invector choked mirukos. All interesting to me.

2) M12 - Love reading about the "perfect pump" in Capstick. Also love to play with my buddy's pair. Smooth action, high capacity, what's not to like.

3) My recently acquired 12ga BSS. I know it's not a greener or purdy, but it's a smooth swinging fatty. No better gun in my safe for a combo woody/ ruffy hunt.

It may seem sad to say, but I've never met anyone else who has read Capstick. My God. I want to go on a safari in Africa. Not sure bout the leopards though. :::shivers:::

1. Remington 870. Has any other been more venerated?

2. Browning A5. Beautiful, ugly, useful, endearing. I like it.

3. A beautiful side by side. Maybe a model 21 or something extravagant by Holland & Holland, though to be honest I'd prefer an amazing double rifle. Can't imagine anything the previous two couldnt handle.

Still, the M12 has its charms, though I've never held one.

Back