Favorite "mini" multi-tool?

What is your favorite "mini" multi-tool?

I have owned the Leatherman Micra, Squirt P4, Squirt S4, Schrade Tough-Chip, Swiss-Tech Utili-key, and lately, the Gerber Solstice. Not to mention a host of SAKs.

I would have to say my favorite so far is the Leatherman Micra.

Runner-up:
Squirt S4.

Peace,
Allen.

SOG Crossgrip. The compound leverage makes those little jaws like a vice. The only downside is that (on mine, at least) the knife blade is chisel ground. :barf:

allenC said:
What is your favorite "mini" multi-tool?

I have owned the Leatherman Micra, Squirt P4, Squirt S4, Schrade Tough-Chip, Swiss-Tech Utili-key, and lately, the Gerber Solstice. Not to mention a host of SAKs.

Runner-up:
Squirt S4.

Peace,
Allen.

For years I have been a big fan of the Micra to the point of stocking up whenever they went on sale for gift purposes. OTOH, I found the Squirt S4 somewhat disappointing. It seemed like improved design and construction in some ways, but the stubby drivers were an off-put and the cap lifter was even harder to use than the already marginal one on the Micra. Worse, the scissors didn't cut as well. The Squirt tweezer was better than the thinner one on the Micra, which is harder to use but still gets spinters out (another two this morning).

As a finger toy, the Squirt is superior, but in the end I returned it and bought another Micra at half the S4 price. IM (opinionated) O, Leatherman Supertool with Micra as combo are the goods.

Allen (also)

My work environment (a high school) is not appropriate for carrying a multitool on my person (there's one in my brief case though), so I find the Swiss-Tech utili-key useful for simple tasks.

BuckyKatt said:
SOG Crossgrip. The compound leverage makes those little jaws like a vice. The only downside is that (on mine, at least) the knife blade is chisel ground. :barf:

I have a SOG crossgrip too. It's simple to re-grind that blade to a more desireable V-shape and a thinner angle. Go for it.

To answer the question:
Best Scissors
1. Shrade Tough chip (inner tools are bad though)
2. LM micra
3. LM Squirt S4
(SOG crosscut is in there but I cannot rate it, as I do not have one yet)

These mini tools all have better scissors than most full size multis and SAKs.

Best Pliers
1. SOG CrossGrip (inner tools not so good though)
2. Squirt P4
3. LM Squirt Radio shack E4 tool (pliers/wirestripper combo)

Best overall:
1. Squirt P4/S4

How do the P4 pliers compare to those found on SAKs? I have heard several stories the P4 ones breaking. I am looking to get a little tool with pliers for light duty uses when I don't have, or it isn't convienient to carry my full size LM.

Will

I carry my Squirt P4 everywhere; I even made a little case for it out of Tandy Leather components! I've used all the blades as well as the pliers pretty hard and I've never felt like the Squirt was about to give out.

Needless to say, one needs to be prudent, but it seems to me that if the pliers can comfortably hold onto a component -- small bolt or whatever -- they should be able to hold the strain.

They're getting rarerer, but I've been thinking of buying a Leatherman Mini before they all disappear to try it out. Anyone have any experiences with this tool?

Interesting that you mention the Gerber Solstice... I'm certainly no fan of Gerber products, and the predescessor to the Solstice, the Eclipse, was a complete POS; but the Solstice is actually a pretty good tool.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much with Klattman.

The Micra is STILL the scissors-based mini-multi to beat. The Squirt S4 beats it on size, though, while offering almost all the same utility. I have a SOG CrossCut, and while the scissors are about the best on ANY multitool, it otherwise doesn't do much for me.

The Squirt P4 is pretty damn decent, too; the pliers are plenty sturdy for its size. Not sure how they stack up to Swiss Army Knife scissors; I've heard some impressive stories of what SAK scissors can handle.

The LM Mini is weird... the plier head is full size, so it's godawful heavy for it's size. And the double-folding handles leave almost no room for other implements, just a thick flat screwdriver with file serrations, and a ridiculously stubby knife blade that's nearly useless. So while there's some novelty and collector value, there's not much utility to the Mini.

Will said:
How do the P4 pliers compare to those found on SAKs? I have heard several stories the P4 ones breaking. I am looking to get a little tool with pliers for light duty uses when I don't have, or it isn't convienient to carry my full size LM.

Will

P4 pliers seem only very slightly weaker (more joints involved and maybe a bit thinner), the vics are slightly pointier, but the p4s have larger surface area on the wirecutters. I'd say it's pretty much a draw. Of course, a vic pliers comes with larger and better tools on the knife, so that's something to consider.

I wouldn't be surprised if you break either, by using them for jobs too big or by supplying more than hand pressure or by using twisting pressure.

These are for light duty, not taking off rusty bolts.

allenC said:

Peace,
Allen.

Most everyone favors the Micra over the smaller SAKs, but not me.

I've compared them side by side, and for my money, my favorite small SAK, the Victorinox Midnite MiniChamp II, boasts a better fit and finish than the Micra. The MiniChamp offers lots of tools in a comparatively small, sheeple- and office-friendly package.

Of course if you're doing lots of cutting with scissors, those on the MiniChamp will drive you crazy in short order because they're so tiny. Opt for the Micra instead.

I want to like the SOG CrossCut and CrossGrip more than I do. I love the compound leverage aspect. I do NOT like how the toothed gears will tear up your pockets unless you carry those tiny SOGs in their sheaths.

In no particular order:

Swiss+Tech Micro Plus
Swiss+Tech Utili Key
Sebertech M4
Victorinox Manager II

I'd have to say the Swiss-Tech Utili-key is my favorite. It's always on my key ring ready for use. When I had federal jury duty, before 9-11, I had it on my key ring everyday in and out of the courthouse, never a problem. I put the keys in the guards bowl before walking thru security everyday for a week and they never even noticed it. I've carried pocket knives everywhere since about the 3rd grade. Never had a problem with it. Having been a Boy Scout, I like to 'Be Prepared'. I don't like to go anywhere that prohibits just about everything. Nowadays they call the SWAT team if someone has fingernail clippers on thier key ring. Well, I've carried alot of different small multi-tools and the Utili-Key, at about $7.00 if you shop around, is the least expensive and unnoticeable tool to keep on a keyring or on a chain with dogtags IMHO.

gatch said:
In no particular order:

Swiss+Tech Micro Plus
Swiss+Tech Utili Key
Sebertech M4
Victorinox Manager II

Just for curiosity's sake, can you compare the strength and precision of the pliers on the M4 and Micro_Plus vs. the LM Squirt P4 and/or SAK pliers?

How do the wirecutters compare (or which is the best).

I've never tried the SwissTech or Sebertech tools and your post has got me interested.

Thanks

klattman said:
Just fort curiosity's sake, can you compare the strength and precision of the pliers on the M4 and Micro_Plus vs. the LM Squirt P4 and/or SAK pliers?

How do the wirecutters compare (or which is the best).

I've never tried the SwissTech or Sebertech tools and your post has got me interested.

Thanks

I can tell you the Micro-Plus is fine for precision work. Several years ago I was on my way into a job interview. I stopped in the men's room for a final glance at myself. My eye was bothering me a bit, so I took off my glasses and had a closer look. After I removed the culprit, a stray bit of hair that had fallen down, I noticed some of my eyebrow hair had gone berserk. Don't know when this happened, but they were standing perpendicular to my head. Couldn't smooth them down, either. I whipped out my trusted Micro-Plus and removed the offending bits easily, quickly, and painlessly. The jaws on my Micro-Plus close completely. No gaps at all.

Back