Favorite "mini" multi-tool?

I've gone from the V'nox Classic to the one with the LED (whatever it's called) to the Leatherman Micra to the Squirt S4, and I'm sticking with the Squirt. IMO, it's better all around than the Micra. The scissors cut the same, but the handles are far easier to use. The tools are accessable without opening the knife and I think they're easier to use because they're closer to the pivoting axis. The knife works much better because it's positioned the keys hanging off it aren't in the way (I don't use the knife blade much though). The tweezers are far more useful. Because of the slipjoint springs, the tools hold in place better and feel smoother.

The only part where the Squirt falls behind is the finish. The level I anodizing doesn't hold up very well and eventually will be scratched and chipped.

I have just returned from Ohio and me and the wife stopped by Smokey Mountain Knife Works were I saw a new mini-multi-tool:

The Gerber Short-Cut (I think that is what it's called).
It was very neat--sort of a larger Squirt S4.

There were a couple of reasons that I did'nt buy it:

1) I have limited funds and I saw other knives that I wanted even more (I bought a Victorinox StayGlow Climber and a Spyderco Native)

2) Just days before I had bought two more Leatherman Micras at Target because they were on sale for about $14.95.
Maybe Target is phasing them out to sell the Squirt?

Still, this new Gerber looked really well made and well thought out.
The action was a bit stiff though.

Allen.

My favourite is probably the Rambler. I liked its small size - it has what I consider the essentials without anything unnecessary. I especially disapprove of SAKs with two blades, but I do think I need scissors as well as a blade. I also need both slotted and philips screwdrivers. The tweezers and toothpick are useful too.

I also EDC a Serbertool M4, again for its small size. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, though. It doesn't feel particularly comfortable or well made. However, I've found the pliers quite useful for EDC if only as tongs for picking up things I don't want to touch. The tools lock, which is sometimes nice, and many of them are better than the Rambler version (eg the screwdrivers).

When I bought the M4 I'd hoped I could stop carrying the Rambler. Unfortunately the tweezers are pathetic and it doesn't have scissors. Also, I find for quick use the locking blades are actually inconvenient, especially as the lock isn't easy to disengage. So I carry both, in different pockets. I wouldn't carry the Leatherman tools because they are all too big and heavy.

I rely on Swiss Army knives and find my Gerber multi-tool too heavy for everyday carry as I don't use pliers much.

For Swiss Army knives, unlike Brangdon, I like two blade knives. I use the smaller one for everyday tasks and keep the large blade sharp.

I have the Squart P4 and carry that along with the Swiss Army knife. The Squart is a great eye glass tool.

A stainless (easy storage care) Mora is in my day pack to round out my bladed tools.

I love all three versions of the Leatherman Squirt (ie. S4, P4, and EL). Find myself carrying all three wherever I go.
B000065UEM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000065UEJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

64-2912.jpg

The best pliars are definately in the Leatherman mini-tool but its somewhat larger and heavier and it also lacks an abundance of other tools.

Otherwise I like the Squirt P4 and the Crossgrip

The Micra for me, very handy in my job and great for fishing. Sharpest scissors around, handles hard to cut fabric extremely well for it's size. I noticed a lot of the other Leatherman tools are no longer made in the US. Is that a recent deal?

Hi JB in SC,

The Leatherman tools are still made in the USA. The marvelous Republic of California (aka the land of fruits and nuts) decided that the Federal requirements for US content required to mark a product "Made in the USA" were wrong and they decided that if even one part were made outside the US, it could not be marked "USA". Since very few nuts, bolts or screws to say nothing of many good steels are made in the US (haven't been for years), one wonders about this. Nonetheless, the Republic so decided.

The next thing was that the Republic allowed a lawsuit against Leatherman which resulted in L'man being found guilty of breaking the California marking law and they were fined $13 million dollars. Additionally, on those tools that were marked "USA" on the plier jaws or scissors, Leatherman had to change the marking to "TOOL". The new tools that came out last year don't have either "USA" or "TOOL" markings.

As I understand it, the game isn't over yet. I think I read that an appeal to the Supreme Court is in the works. That is probably good because the California law may well be in conflict with US Customs regulations to say nothing of the FTC rules.

Best - Joe

Is California the only state with this kind of law?

Does a product even exist that is truly "Made in the U.S.A." (according to their definition)?

Back