Favorite Westerns

I was never big into westerns, but I remember being a kid and reading Riders of the Purple Sage and The Rainbow Trail over and over again. I liked the New England frontier more, the Leatherstocking novels and French & Indian war stuff. We didn't have a TV in our house growing up so favorites were Kipling, Fenimore Cooper, and plenty of detective stories.

My favorite western movies are Big Jake, The Searchers and some other John Wayne movies, Mountain Men with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith. Clint Eastwoods Outlaw Josey Wales. I liked Quigley Down Under but it was kinda far fetched in some ways, I don’t care much for Robert Redford but Jeremiah Johnson was a good flick, skin that griz pilgrim!

For western tv films I think Lonesome Dove is probably my most favorite and then Open Range. There’s some other notable mentions like Centennial mini series and How the West was Won. And the Sacket films were good with Tom Sellick, Sam Elliot and Ben Johnson.

The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Once Upon a Time in the West (surprised this hasn’t been mentioned)
Unforgiven
Blazing Saddles
The Shootist. You can feel John Wayne dying. Powerful.

Last edited:
If you're looking for a new Western to watch, check out "The English" on Prime.

iu

It was just released on 11/11/2022. Just started watching it and am currently on Episode 3 of 6 and I like it.

Emily Blunt plays an Englishwoman who meets/befriends a Native American, who previously served as an Army scout, played by Chaske Spencer, who actually is a Native American actor.

Blunt is one of my favorite actresses because of her ability to play such a wide range of roles -- from Devil Wears Prada to Young Victoria to Adjustment Bureau to Edge of Tomorrow to Sicario.

Spencer also does an excellent job of playing the taciturn and aggrieved Native American, who is the most capable, honorable and trustworthy person in the show.

Last edited:
what's the one where the guy drinks a glass of whiskey, shoots the glass, drinks a smaller glass of whiskey, shoots that, then drinks a shot of whiskey and shoots the shot glass?

Already mentioned in OP, Magnificent Seven, is my family's Christmas staple and my favorite western.

Nobody likes Ballad of Cable Hogue? Or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? Or Three Amigos? Silverado?

Last edited:
I was just flipping through channels and caught a glimpse of Forrest Tucker. Instant flashback to watching F Troop, as a kid. Anybody remember that one?

Scrolling through the list of movies and series he's been in showed quite a few Westerns (many of which I recognized, by name at least).

Last edited:
+1 for 3:10 to Yuma and Open Range.

There's other great examples, but I think these two stories typify what I like in a good western.

The worst westerns star Willie Nelson. Mommas don't let your musicians dabble in acting.
Robert Duvall held everything together in Open Range. Kevin Costner is a great “matter of fact” actor, but Duvall is the most convincing cowboy that ever acted in a western. Everything he does from his mumbling, breathing, mannerisms, and conversation seems genuine and authentic. You feel like you’re really there when you see him act.

Robert Duvall held everything together in Open Range. Kevin Costner is a great “matter of fact” actor, but Duvall is the most convincing cowboy that ever acted in a western. Everything he does from his mumbling, breathing, mannerisms, and conversation seems genuine and authentic. You feel like you’re really there when you see him act.
I think Costner nailed the "I've done some things I'm not proud of" thousand yard stare, but Duvall's character is just more multi-dimensional. I liked the fact that Duvall wasn't some surprise expert gunfighter- just a guy doing a thing he thought was right. Quigley Down Under is a great movie that left me rolling my eyes because at the culmination of the movie, when the odds were supposed to be stacked against him, Quigley turns out to also be the fastest draw in Australia.

I'm hoping everyone can agree that the actual best western in movie-making history is "Die Hard". It's also the best Christmas movie. Really checks a lot of boxes.

I think Costner nailed the "I've done some things I'm not proud of" thousand yard stare, but Duvall's character is just more multi-dimensional. I liked the fact that Duvall wasn't some surprise expert gunfighter- just a guy doing a thing he thought was right. Quigley Down Under is a great movie that left me rolling my eyes because at the culmination of the movie, when the odds were supposed to be stacked against him, Quigley turns out to also be the fastest draw in Australia.

I'm hoping everyone can agree that the actual best western in movie-making history is "Die Hard". It's also the best Christmas movie. Really checks a lot of boxes.
Die hard also had the best villain.

“Hans! Bubbie! I’m your white knight!”

Back