Feather+mammoth+Barry wood system

First of all, if somebody can tell me about this locking system's appropriate name, I'd appreciate it!

It was a request from a client who knows what he wanted: a classic shape, double bolstered, feather damascus, and lovely mammoth scales that he brougt to me.
And here it is the result...
-Blade length: 95 mm / 3 3/4"
-Closed: 115mm / 4 1/2"
-Total: 200mm / 8"

-Blade and bolsters damascus were forged from 1095 and 15n20 by Marcial dos Santos. Bolsters with hidden screws.
-Titanium liners, fileworked in a vine pattern. Interior is textured with concentric lines around the pivot
-mammoth scales with domed sterling silver pins.
-stainless spacer textured the same way of liners.

There is a video at the end.

Thanks for looking
Javi
P1020608.jpg

P1020609.jpg

P1020615.jpg

P1020617.jpg

P1020619.jpg

Javi -

I just checked out your video as well as the wonderful photos of this knife. All I can say is Wow! Very nice indeed.

Beautiful knife, and a great mechanism! I love the feather damascus and mammoth scales.

- Mark

Thanks for posting the video. I wouldn't have figured it out without it.

Beautiful and unique knife.

Very nice knife, interesting locking system.:thumbup:

Kind regards,

Jos

I am the client who ordered this knife... and I can say the result surpassed my highest expectations. Javier is a young master I admire and respect, and this folder, as any other made by him, something to be proud of.

Kind Regards,

Jose

Nice Javier !!! These 360 degree type opening/locking mechanisms have been called "clasp knives", "pivot knives", "swing-lock knives", "swing knives", "swivel knives", "swivel-lock knives", and assorted other names, and they date back as far as the early seventeenth century. On Barry Wood's patent (expired now), he called it a "split handle jack knife".

Your knife is quite attractive ... the damascus is gorgeous, the pattern flows from the bolsters to the blade, the file work (vine) is awesome, the slabs are organic as hell and really compliment the blade and bolsters ... So, Jose got you to make him a "Barely Wood" (my coinage) knife? Congratulations Jose !!! I love it and would love to have one made for me. Any chance of that? They can't be that expensive, because I know how Jose "rolls". :) I would prefer the hinge pin to be flush with the bolsters. What's the diameter of that hinge pin?

@peterinct above: You can call that "the Barry Wood locking system", but that type of mechanism was around many years before Barry Wood was born .... I've got a knife from the 1880s that utilizes that mechanism.

i am awestruck on this one! the damascus is just crazy nice, and top it off with mammoth scales and a swing lock like that? just amazing...I look forward to seeing more of your folders!

@peterinct above: You can call that "the Barry Wood locking system", but that type of mechanism was around many years before Barry Wood was born .... I've got a knife from the 1880s that utilizes that mechanism.

I have (3) Barry Wood knives, and not having known of a specific name for that locking system, I had just referred to them as such.

They always seem to create interest from those that haven't seen them or those that have and like them.

This one utilizes that "swing style" system in HIGH fashion! Beautiful damascus and mammoth.

Peter

... So, Jose got you to make him a "Barely Wood" (my coinage) knife? Congratulations Jose !!! I love it and would love to have one made for me. Any chance of that? They can't be that expensive, because I know how Jose "rolls". :) ...

Good to see you around John! Glad you like the knife. "Barely Wood" is a great term I'll start using. If you get Javier to make you a knife I will be glad to take it with me in my next visit to V. (Jan 2011)

BTW: Javier's attention to detail takes this knife style to a completely different league. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Cheers,

:eek:Holy Moly, That sure looks great Javi!! Beautiful feather damascus!!:thumbup:

Back