Feather+mammoth+Barry wood system

@peterinct above: You can call that "the Barry Wood locking system", but that type of mechanism was around many years before Barry Wood was born .... I've got a knife from the 1880s that utilizes that mechanism.

Liner lock has been around for a long time too, but there is no doubt that Michael Walker improved and refined it, as well as popularizing it.

Barry Wood did the same for the swing lock....and even if it was around before he patented it.....he did get the patent for it.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I have (3) Barry Wood knives, and not having known of a specific name for that locking system, I had just referred to them as such.

They always seem to create interest from those that haven't seen them or those that have and like them.

Hi Peter, I should have said that most people refer to that opening/locking system as a Barry Wood type, and I do the same. It's interesting to me that we do this, especially since the design has been around for so long. I'm going from seriously challenged memory here, but I believe that Michael Walker has a patent on his style of liner lock (it uses a ball and detent to hold the knife in the closed position) ... AND, I'm pretty sure that Mr. Walker has a trademark on the name "Linerlock". So, it's just as interesting as the association of the rotational folders with Barry Wood, inasmuch as liner locks have been around quite a while (I'm guessing since the 19th century) ... we've all seen that mechanism used in electrician's knives ... and they're enormously popular today ... but we seldom, if ever, call them Michael Walker locking systems. We just say "liner lock".

EDIT: Steven Garsson ... I didn't read your post (I must have been channeling you). I'm in agreement!! Now I'm wondering if I can get a patent on the "slip joint", "fixed blade", or "straight knife". (???) :)

Last edited:
BTW: Javier's attention to detail takes this knife style to a completely different league.

Jose, Do you mean a "completely different league" in comparison to a BW knife? If that's what you mean, then I can agree ... but in no way disparage any BW knives. Barry Wood was never ... and isn't a maker of "art knives". As you would know from our conversations, I have on occasion been a little concerned about Barry's attention to detail. But, having owned over 230 of his knives at one time, it's obvious that my concerns never stopped me from loving his knives.

Last edited:
Jose, Do you mean a "completely different league" in comparison to a BW knife? If that's what you mean, then I can agree ... but in no way disparage any BW knives. Barry Wood was never ... and isn't a maker of "art knives". As you would know from our conversations, I have on occasion been a little conderned about Barry's attention to detail. But, having owned over 230 of his knives at one time, it's obvious that my concerns never stopped me from loving his knives.

I totally agree with that, John! Each knife is unique and Barry Wood's old knives have a charm and history that only belong to them, making us love them and collect them!

Javier's interpretation is off course modern and different, as I know it wasn't his intention to "copy" Barry's work, but to make a knife with his locking system, on my request, bringing his own personal stamp and style to the project, and I believe he came out with a beautiful piece here showing he is a talented maker.

Cheers,

Well... lying in bed with flu isn't very nice, but reading your comments, make my day!

I'm glad you like it!

Javi

Back