Feeling Grateful

It has been a long time since my last confession.

Yesterday afternoon I climbed up into the bush and set some pig traps. I normally take a machete with me. I like my BK9s a lot, but if I have to chop near the ground where I might hit a rock... I opt for a cheap machete.

But I had the hankering to carry a BK9, and it was great to have on my hip. I've never had a knife that was better at chopping. And currently it would still be my choice for the 'one knife' if I were forced to make such a decision about what to take into the bush.

As I walked along the trapline, I felt considerable gratitude for being able to be out in the hills.... and for the two guys that helped me fulfil my BK9 desire.... Granitestateofmind and Cold One. I started thinking that I should post something on Becker Knife and Tool. I hoped I'd catch something overnight so I'd have a photo to share.

I didn't catch any pigs. Up until maybe three winters ago, I would have expected to catch several pigs in our valley each year. They wander out of the forestry areas and come and dig up lifestyle blocks nearby. Not this year though. There has been the odd pig wander through the area, but I am not seeing much sign. There are pigs around elsewhere.... In recent months I've shot five on a friend's farm just a 12 kilometer drive from our own valley.

In my second-to-last trap on the line, I found a big male brushtailed opossum. I clunked it on the cranium with the back of my 'nine'. And when I got back down the hill, I spotted a young billy goat.

I normally don't have a ritual of laying knives on top of the game I get, but I figured that I had to this time considering my audience. The small orange-handled folding knife is a Svord Peasant which is sturdy and very good for smaller tasks. The Ruger 77 / .357 is a rifle I've fancied for a long time. I figured now that I'd retired, I deserved to get one.

2TItOCy.jpg

BmwaLfD.jpg

It has been a long time since my last confession.

Yesterday afternoon I climbed up into the bush and set some pig traps. I normally take a machete with me. I like my BK9s a lot, but if I have to chop near the ground where I might hit a rock... I opt for a cheap machete.

But I had the hankering to carry a BK9, and it was great to have on my hip. I've never had a knife that was better at chopping. And currently it would still be my choice for the 'one knife' if I were forced to make such a decision about what to take into the bush.

As I walked along the trapline, I felt considerable gratitude for being able to be out in the hills.... and for the two guys that helped me fulfil my BK9 desire.... Granitestateofmind and Cold One. I started thinking that I should post something on Becker Knife and Tool. I hoped I'd catch something overnight so I'd have a photo to share.

I didn't catch any pigs. Up until maybe three winters ago, I would have expected to catch several pigs in our valley each year. They wander out of the forestry areas and come and dig up lifestyle blocks nearby. Not this year though. There has been the odd pig wander through the area, but I am not seeing much sign. There are pigs around elsewhere.... In recent months I've shot five on a friend's farm just a 12 kilometer drive from our own valley.

In my second-to-last trap on the line, I found a big male brushtailed opossum. I clunked it on the cranium with the back of my 'nine'. And when I got back down the hill, I spotted a young billy goat.

I normally don't have a ritual of laying knives on top of the game I get, but I figured that I had to this time considering my audience. The small orange-handled folding knife is a Svord Peasant which is sturdy and very good for smaller tasks. The Ruger 77 / .357 is a rifle I've fancied for a long time. I figured now that I'd retired, I deserved to get one.

2TItOCy.jpg

BmwaLfD.jpg
Always a Pleasure to read your post coote. Thanks for sharing Brotha

Welcome back man, great post! And, I agree, the niner is one hell of a good knife. My all time most used blade.

Sheath is a DIY heat-formed (squashed) bit of low-density polyethylene water pipe. The knife sits in the sheath fairly securely, but is likely to slide out if inverted. So I have a retaining cord with a small stainless steel toggle which passes through the lanyard hole of the knife. While I like leather belts, the 'belt' on this is a length of rope with a button knot on one end and a sliding Prusik Loop on the other. The loop passes over the button knot and can be slid along the main body of the rope to adjust the fit.
zkd8ZXS.jpg

Hey coote. In the true Beckerhead tradition I'd like to gift you this Makael Makael Bk9 sheath. This was gifted to me by my Beckerhead and Battle Brotha 91bravo 91bravo . I'm more a Bk4 guy and I rarely use my 9s. I do this Beautiful sheath a disservice. PM me your address. I'll try everything in my power to get into your hands. All I ask in return is more wonderful post from you.

Hmmm. I don't seem to be able to create a private message. Never mind. My email address is srcoote at gmail.com

If you have PayPal, I'd be happy to at least pay the shipping
This is very generous. Much appreciated. The sheath looks wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I don't seem to be able to create a private message. Never mind. My email address is srcoote at gmail.com

If you have PayPal, I'd be happy to at least pay the shipping
This is very generous. Much appreciated. The sheath looks wonderful.
Iโ€™ll accept no form of currency my Good Sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome stuff Tanker. Coote, I deleted your address. Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66 , did you get it before I deleted it?

Good deal. Congrats coote, the tank man is a hell of a good guy. :thumbsup:

Back